• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Windshield struts for R850R

mrwaj

My upper strut snapped for the third time 1000 mies into a 4000 mile trip and the repair I did on the lower last year snapped as I was pulling into my final destination. Metal fatigue. Anyone have a solution? At $130 each for the upper, this is getting ridiculous. (I just put on the extension). Thinking I can devise a clamping system once I get home next year.

AlexIMG_8743.jpgIMG_8742.jpgIMG_8744.jpg

I just had the same thing happen to the tachometer mount on my own 850R. It snapped in the exact same way, right at the hole for mounting something else.

What I was going to do on mine was take a piece of thin 6061 sheet stock and braze it over top of the existing pieces with Alumiweld rod to make them stick together more strongly, and maybe add a washer to the hole where the mounting bolt goes through. But that's assuming these mount arms are aluminum. If they're steel, welding would be an easier option.

My upper strut snapped for the third time 1000 mies into a 4000 mile trip and the repair I did on the lower last year snapped as I was pulling into my final destination. Metal fatigue. Anyone have a solution? At $130 each for the upper, this is getting ridiculous. (I just put on the extension). Thinking I can devise a clamping system once I get home next year.

AlexView attachment 89189View attachment 89190View attachment 89191

I had a similar failure on the windscreen lower brace of my R1100R w/70K miles. I fashioned a piece of thicker scrap steel into a duplicate of the attach fitting and brazed it. Brazing is nearly as durable as welding but holds up better under constant vibration. So far, still holding after 20K miles.

Back