• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

It's been 21 years-

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
:usa

9-11-2022_600x600.jpg

:usa

On September 11, 2001, I was a newspaper photojournalist covering President Bush in Booker Elementary School in Sarasota. I was standing on the photo risers next to a television camera guy, when he suddenly said, "Holy ****! A plane just hit the World Trade Center!" I thought it was possibly a Cessna or something. A few minutes later, all of the media left the risers and floor in front of the podium and gathered in a small room off the media center that had televisions. Obviously it was not a Cessna. Not long after that, the televisions were turned off and we were all told to take our places, and that the President would be out for a brief statement.

I found out from President Bush that *both* towers had been hit.

I'm not sure I've fully recovered from that day. I hope as a nation we never see anything like that again.

Years later, I was senior staff for a US Congressman. I cannot put into words the awe and privilege I felt simply walking thru the US Capitol building. The weight of history was palpable, as was the feeling of responsibility for being the best we could be for the nation.

9/11/01 was an indescribably horrific day, but I never doubted our country. 1/6/21 was the darkest day in any of our lifetimes for our country. My humble opinion is that they are related, and politics are not involved: Both were terrorism. Both were horrible. And from both, we move forward.

On September 11, 2001, I was a newspaper photojournalist covering President Bush in Booker Elementary School in Sarasota. I was standing on the photo risers next to a television camera guy, when he suddenly said, "Holy ****! A plane just hit the World Trade Center!" I thought it was possibly a Cessna or something. A few minutes later, all of the media left the risers and floor in front of the podium and gathered in a small room off the media center that had televisions. Obviously it was not a Cessna. Not long after that, the televisions were turned off and we were all told to take our places, and that the President would be out for a brief statement.

I found out from President Bush that *both* towers had been hit.

I'm not sure I've fully recovered from that day. I hope as a nation we never see anything like that again.

Years later, I was senior staff for a US Congressman. I cannot put into words the awe and privilege I felt simply walking thru the US Capitol building. The weight of history was palpable, as was the feeling of responsibility for being the best we could be for the nation.

9/11/01 was an indescribably horrific day, but I never doubted our country. 1/6/21 was the darkest day in any of our lifetimes for our country. My humble opinion is that they are related, and politics are not involved: Both were terrorism. Both were horrible. And from both, we move forward.

I agree. And neither you or I suggested politics. Rather that our country suffered from these situations. Those who can not understand this, perhaps see all through only a political lens. Any blame is an aside...both were national tragedies.

A threat to the nation is a threat to the nation. If one thinks that acknowledging the literal attack on our democracy is somehow political, I can't help but regard that as dangerous blindness.

Rule of Law and democratic process is under attack in this country all day every day. I'm happy to have that conversation with anyone.

9/11 shouldn't be ignored, but at this point, it is no longer the most recent attack on our democracy.

With the number of ex cops and military on this board, I'm surprised that is even a conversation we need to have.

A threat to the nation is a threat to the nation. If one thinks that acknowledging the literal attack on our democracy is somehow political, I can't help but regard that as dangerous blindness.

Rule of Law and democratic process is under attack in this country all day every day. I'm happy to have that conversation with anyone.

9/11 shouldn't be ignored, but at this point, it is no longer the most recent attack on our democracy.

With the number of ex cops and military on this board, I'm surprised that is even a conversation we need to have.

I agree with Dave. However, Thomas Mann said, "Everything is politics." And since, "democracy" is a term which describes a system of assignment of political power by the citizens of a country, then it's hard to say "democracy" without invoking "politics". So, to get around that and to what I think is the real point, I prefer to say that as citizens, our highest allegiance belongs to our country, it's form of government, and the rule of law above all other things, including any political party. History is filled with far too many examples of how things go horribly wrong when people get those things reversed.

I agree with Dave. However, Thomas Mann said, "Everything is politics." And since, "democracy" is a term which describes a system of assignment of political power by the citizens of a country, then it's hard to say "democracy" without invoking "politics". So, to get around that and to what I think is the real point, I prefer to say that as citizens, our highest allegiance belongs to our country, it's form of government, and the rule of law above all other things, including any political party. History is filled with far too many examples of how things go horribly wrong when people get those things reversed.

I'll point out that every elected office swears an allegiance to the Constitution of the United States of America. Many swear to "defend it from all enemies, foreign and domestic", as well.

That's what we're swearing allegiance to: the documents that define rule of law and the system of laws within which we operate our representative republic. Attempts to usurp the laws of our Constitution through violence can only be viewed as attempts to subvert our governance.

I've worked in legal for 40 years and rule of law, as defined in Magna Carta, then adopted by the Founding Fathers to incorporate representative governance is what we're defending. Not allowing the variabilities of a single person to determine what is right and what is wrong.

I think we can all agree on all of that.

The attacks resulted in 2,977 non-hijacker fatalities, over 25,000 injuries, and substantial long-term health consequences, in addition to at least $10 billion in infrastructure and property damage.[12][13] It remains the deadliest terrorist attack in human history and the single deadliest incident for firefighters and law enforcement officers in U.S. history, with 340[14] and 72 killed,[15][16] respectively. The destruction of the World Trade Center and its environs seriously harmed the New York City economy and induced global market shocks. Many other countries strengthened anti-terrorism legislation and expanded their powers of law enforcement and intelligence agencies. Cleanup of the World Trade Center site (colloquially "Ground Zero") took eight months and was completed in May 2002, while the Pentagon was repaired within a year. After delays in the design of a replacement complex, the One World Trade Center began construction in November 2006 and opened in November 2014.[17][18] Memorials to the attacks include the National September 11 Memorial & Museum in New York City, the Pentagon Memorial in Arlington County, Virginia, and the Flight 93 National Memorial at the Pennsylvania crash site.

Too bad this thread has skipped any reverence for the 2,977 for those that perished that day.

OM

rev·er·ence
/ˈrev(ə)rəns/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: reverence; plural noun: reverences
deep respect for someone or something.
"rituals showed honor and reverence for the dead"

I sincerely doubt anyone reading this thread "skipped any reverence."

As mentioned, I'm quite certain that 21 years has not yet been enough to recover from that day. I just won't go much deeper personally on this board, of all boards. I'm certain I'm not alone in that.

I have spent time to get to know some of the 2,977+ individuals lost that day, and I tried in my small way to introduce some of those lost to others, as well. It's still haunting. Literally a day has not gone by in the past 21 years without a thought towards that day or to those lost.

I doubt many on this board have skipped any reverence. Two bad (fortunately unusual) things are possible at the same time, and one doesn't diminish the other.

The attacks resulted in 2,977 non-hijacker fatalities, over 25,000 injuries, and substantial long-term health consequences, in addition to at least $10 billion in infrastructure and property damage.[12][13] It remains the deadliest terrorist attack in human history and the single deadliest incident for firefighters and law enforcement officers in U.S. history, with 340[14] and 72 killed,[15][16] respectively. The destruction of the World Trade Center and its environs seriously harmed the New York City economy and induced global market shocks. Many other countries strengthened anti-terrorism legislation and expanded their powers of law enforcement and intelligence agencies. Cleanup of the World Trade Center site (colloquially "Ground Zero") took eight months and was completed in May 2002, while the Pentagon was repaired within a year. After delays in the design of a replacement complex, the One World Trade Center began construction in November 2006 and opened in November 2014.[17][18] Memorials to the attacks include the National September 11 Memorial & Museum in New York City, the Pentagon Memorial in Arlington County, Virginia, and the Flight 93 National Memorial at the Pennsylvania crash site.

Too bad this thread has skipped any reverence for the 2,977 for those that perished that day.

OM

rev·er·ence
/ˈrev(ə)rəns/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: reverence; plural noun: reverences
deep respect for someone or something.
"rituals showed honor and reverence for the dead"

I finally made it to the World Trade Center Memorial last April. For those of you who have not been able to get there....

Around the fountains where the tower footprints is a metal (I think it's stainless steel) tilted shelf with all the names of the individuals that died in the towers. The letters are cut out of the metal and on each of the individual's birthday, they put a flower in their name as a remembrance. I thought that is an awesome thing to do.

Back