• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Used or rebuilt Drive shaft? 07 R1200RT-P

benballou

My 07 R1200RT-P has a bad U-joint and does not appear to be rebuildable. Disabled vet just getting back to work so cash is very short. Are aftermarket, used or rebuilt driveshafts a realistic alternative? If so, any suggestions for vendors? BMW newbie, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Ben

My 07 R1200RT-P has a bad U-joint and does not appear to be rebuildable. Disabled vet just getting back to work so cash is very short. Are aftermarket, used or rebuilt driveshafts a realistic alternative? If so, any suggestions for vendors? BMW newbie, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Ben

You can try Beemer Boneyard. Reputable folks with a discount for MOA members.

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/

There are shops that rebuild BMW driveshafts. I had mine rebuilt at this place. Rebuild was $220 and shipping was about $25 each way. https://www.machineservice.com/contact-us

I better option in my opinion is to buy an after market driveshaft from the BeemerShop. They are rebuildable, come with grease zerks installed and cost about $750 last time I checked.

There are shops that rebuild BMW driveshafts. I had mine rebuilt at this place. Rebuild was $220 and shipping was about $25 each way. https://www.machineservice.com/contact-us

I better option in my opinion is to buy an after market driveshaft from the BeemerShop. They are rebuildable, come with grease zerks installed and cost about $750 last time I checked.

I too used MSI for my 2004 R1150RT drive shaft refurb in 2016. They installed new bearing with zerk grease fittings, balanced, painted mine as part of the standard rebuild process. No issues with it to-date.

Emerald Island vs. MSI Rebuilt Drive Shaft '07 R1200RT-P

WOW Thank you-all for the help! drneo66 Drive Shaft info is exhaustive, to say the least. Clearly the BMW community is one of the best parts of owning the bike, awesome learning experience! The Emerald Island drive shaft looks good, hard to understand why it is good quality and rebuildable for just a bit more than 1/2 the price of OEM. Beemershop's Josh has been very helpful and is the most knowledgeable sales rep I have encountered thus far. Euro Motoelectrics has the 20 spline drive shaft in stock, but for $50 more than the Beemershop. I have yet to explore the MSI rebuild option. Beemershop Josh gave me an excellent thumbnail sketch of their relationship with Emerald Island, stating clearly how demanding they are that the drive shafts are properly balanced. With the Paralever cleaned up and on the bench everything makes sense and I can see that both transmission and Final Drive splines are in excellent shape, turn smoothly and there are no metal filings on the magnet in the Final Drive drain plug. The back-end "U" joint clicked a bit and had rust inside so I believe I caught it in time. 70,000 + miles on an '07 police bike is a bit daunting, but I have read well maintained Boxers can go 200,000 miles? Best riding bike I have ever ridden!

Back