• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Newbie to '03 K1200LT -ABS removal aftermath help

RTandGS

Hello! I'm a R1150GS owner that's just got into a unloved 03' K1200LT which came to me with the ABS already bypassed. The speedo and stop lights weren't working. Some reading and digging and I found the ABS wiring harness wasn't plugged in the ABS brain. I plugged it in and the speedo started working, but the brake lights are on solid, activating the front or rear brakes doesn't affect the brake light. It won't shut off. The ABS motor also buzzed when I first plugged the harness onto the ABS unit, but after I switched the key on and off a few times that motor buzzing stopped. So, I did a search here but that didn't show me any removal articles.

Has anyone successfully removed the ABS and had the brake lights, speedo and cruise work afterward? I'd appreciate your ideas.

Markus
2002 R1150GS
2002 R1100Rt
2003 K1200LT

Hello! I'm a R1150GS owner that's just got into a unloved 03' K1200LT which came to me with the ABS already bypassed. The speedo and stop lights weren't working. Some reading and digging and I found the ABS wiring harness wasn't plugged in the ABS brain. I plugged it in and the speedo started working, but the brake lights are on solid, activating the front or rear brakes doesn't affect the brake light. It won't shut off. The ABS motor also buzzed when I first plugged the harness onto the ABS unit, but after I switched the key on and off a few times that motor buzzing stopped. So, I did a search here but that didn't show me any removal articles.

Has anyone successfully removed the ABS and had the brake lights, speedo and cruise work afterward? I'd appreciate your ideas.

Markus
2002 R1150GS
2002 R1100Rt
2003 K1200LT

Markus,
I really can't help you with this. I have a 2003 K1200RS (same bike) and with the integration of the power (aka "whizzy") brakes with the ABS I would think it would be much easier to take the system back to as designed than to remove both the power brakes and the ABS. Besides, with an 800lb bike like you have, the ABS could be a life saver. I suspect the "ABS motor" buzzing you heard is really the power brake pump as it runs any time the brakes are applied to provide pressure for the "power" effect. The ABS system only pulses the brakes as needed to avoid lockup.

I had an RS1150 on the lift a while back that had brake light and turn signal issues, along with non-functioning ABS and boost pump. The problem was eventually traced to a defective aftermarket (Kisan) turn signal flasher that had been used to replace the very spendy BMW one ($325). That same BMW relay (61 31 7 679 867) is used on the K1200LT. Just sayin’ it might be worth a peek whether it’s the BMW relay or an aftermarket unit…

Best,
DeVern

I had an RS1150 on the lift a while back that had brake light and turn signal issues, along with non-functioning ABS and boost pump. The problem was eventually traced to a defective aftermarket (Kisan) turn signal flasher that had been used to replace the very spendy BMW one ($325). That same BMW relay (61 31 7 679 867) is used on the K1200LT. Just sayin’ it might be worth a peek whether it’s the BMW relay or an aftermarket unit…

Best,
DeVern

Must be one excellent relay! :groovy

Update—
Pulled the ABS unit off and took it apart. The brain was opened and plugged back into the harness and Speedo and brake lights work now.

Tested the motors in the ABS and found one was initially sticky but ran fine after a few taps and the other ran fine. So I’m going to clean and rebuild both motors with new brushes. Then I’m going to reinstall with new brake lines and that should have it sorted out.

Last edited:
Update—
Pulled the ANS unit off and took it apart. The brain was opened and plugged back into the harness and Speedo and brake lights work not.

Tested the motors in the ABS and found one was initially sticky but ran fine after a few taps and the other ran fine. So I’m going to clean and rebuild both motors with new brushes. Then I’m going to reinstall with new brake lines and that should have it sorted out.

Sounds like you have a good plan to get this beauty back on the road!

it's BMW community really

So, when I got the K1200LT I went and bought some fitted bags from aguy who sold his and he introduced me to his nephew who has rebuilt every part of his 2 LT's . he's been the godfather of the repairs and the guy who told me all about how one can rehab the ABS units. So he is actually doing the rebuild on the unit. All because we own the same bikes. Thank god for the kind of folks who buy these bikes.

So, when I got the K1200LT I went and bought some fitted bags from aguy who sold his and he introduced me to his nephew who has rebuilt every part of his 2 LT's . he's been the godfather of the repairs and the guy who told me all about how one can rehab the ABS units. So he is actually doing the rebuild on the unit. All because we own the same bikes. Thank god for the kind of folks who buy these bikes.

That's very true - it does take a village to support a BMW (all bikes, really). It would be great of your friend would be willing to share some of his knowledge, especially about working on ABS units since just about all BMW bikes from the early '90's on have one version or the other of ABS, and many like on your K1200LT are getting to the age and mileage where they may give trouble. "Rehabbing" an ABS unit like you are doing could make the difference between keeping a given bike in service or scrapping it.

Back