• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2004 R1150RS 47k looking for main ground

MOONDOG59

Happy Labor Day all. Looking for the main chassis ground as pictured in the wiring diagram. It has six wires to it but doesn't show where it is. I am t/sing a no start issue and checking a bunch of switches. I just checked the side stand switch. Looks ok. Where is this main ground?

Toggle the kill switch a few times with the key in the on position and the starter button depressed. Make sure it's in neutral.

Under the battery/abs frame on left half of the engine case.
A bit tedious to get at.

Attachments

• Engine ground point.jpg
    Engine ground point.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 100
That's what I figured. Can't get there from here. If it was easy to get to I go for it but everything I have done so far tells me the ground is "ok". Getting good spark at the plugs and injectors are getting electricity. I got the tank pulled apart and has it was going back together I pulled the pump screen off by accident. That's another $85.

This started as "it died on me" then to "it won't start on me" now I got to get back together. Changed the fuel filter, I know the primary plugs work. I need to test the pump and injectors. I have removed and cleaned a bunch of electrical plugs. HES needs to be looked at but doubt it is that. Can the HES be "ohm'd" out with out digging it out? Will it show a short if HES component wiring is grounded somewhere?

You are getting spark.
You have power to the injectors. They sink to ground thru the motronic.

Pull 1 injector out of the TB.
Are you getting a fuel squirt on cranking? Y/N?
If no, it might be the lower sensor

If yes, then do the following

Rotate the crank by hand to a little before the 'S' mark (5° BTDC) on the flywheel
Turn the ignition key on - the fuel pump will cycle normally for 1 sec
Rotate the crank very s-l-o-w-l-y CW by hand until the fuel pump cycles again
The crank is now at the hall sensor trip point - in this case that is also the static timing point
Look at the flywheel marking to see where the static timing is set - should be "OT"

This will test if the HES timing cup has slipped

You are getting spark.
You have power to the injectors. They sink to ground thru the motronic.

Pull 1 injector out of the TB.
Are you getting a fuel squirt on cranking? Y/N?
If no, it might be the lower sensor

If yes, then do the following

Rotate the crank by hand to a little before the 'S' mark (5° BTDC) on the flywheel
Turn the ignition key on - the fuel pump will cycle normally for 1 sec
Rotate the crank very s-l-o-w-l-y CW by hand until the fuel pump cycles again
The crank is now at the hall sensor trip point - in this case that is also the static timing point
Look at the flywheel marking to see where the static timing is set - should be "OT"

This will test if the HES timing cup has slipped

Got to get the tank back on but waiting for a flimsy new fuel screen that accidentally got yanked off. :banghead

Back