• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for Some Detectives to Help Determine What Part I Have

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I’m looking for some detectives willing to help me solve this curious situation I have. About 10-15 years ago, I purchased a replacement crank nose bearing for my bike (1988 R100 RT). According to the parts fiche, the correct part is a 16007 C3 bearing, part number 07 11 9 981 722. The bearing I have was purchased from a BMW dealer (now defunct), is in a BMW box with label, logo, etc. The part number on the box is 07 10 1 468 882. The bearing itself is manufactured by SKF in Italy and has the following written around the bearing: SKF, 16007, Italy B, **C (*=dots), Explorer. My memory’s coming back a bit and I think the parts guy said it’s the right part, but different part number on the box.

So, I’m looking for any detectives willing to see if they can determine what bearing I have.

SKF has a set of web pages that outline their bearing numbering system and internal clearance specifications.

Lots more info there as well, that may help in assessing what bearing you have and it’s suitability.

Best,
DeVern

EDIT:

FWIW, I just looked at a nose bearing I recently replaced on an airhead. The old bearing was stored in the box that had contained the new bearing, and that box bears the ..468 882 part number. The old bearing is a FAG, manufactured in Germany, and bears the same 16007 C3 designation, tho I can verify only one of the dots you mention. The spacing looks like there were two dots, however.

The parts fiches show the ..468 882 number as superseded by 07 11 9 981 722.

Last edited:
Thanks DeVern,

I had checked MaxBMW, A&S and Real OEM, and there was not notice of 07 10 1 468 882 being superseded by 07 11 9 981 722. That makes sense though. I feel better about using the bearing. Sometimes it's hard to search back for old part numbers. Thanks again for all your help.

Take the bearing to a bearing house and ask for their opinion. In the end, if there's any doubts about the bearing and its use, buy a new one. Looks like they're $25-30??

The key concern is that the bearing is a C3 bearing. This rating means it has extra clearance to allow for expansion when heated.

Take the bearing to a bearing house and ask for their opinion. In the end, if there's any doubts about the bearing and its use, buy a new one. Looks like they're $25-30??

While that's a good idea, the closest one is about 20-25 min away, that's about an hour round trip with time at the place. I'd rather just buy a replacement one for $20 (from EME) than spend an hour that way. I'm leaning this way anyway. I was reading on SKF's website about storage and open they typical only a few years shelf life--up to ten in an environmentally controlled storage area. They have no guidelines regarding unopened--in their original wrapping undisturbed. FWIW, the wrapping does not appear to have been tampered with. Given that the part number appears to have been superseded a while before purchased it 10-15 years ago, it's unknown how long the bearing's been around. It could be in good shape, but maybe not. Also, I can't 100% tell if it's a C3 bearing.

Also, it's more about curiosity now than anything else.

While that's a good idea, the closest one is about 20-25 min away, that's about an hour round trip with time at the place. I'd rather just buy a replacement one for $20 (from EME) than spend an hour that way. I'm leaning this way anyway. I was reading on SKF's website about storage and open they typical only a few years shelf life--up to ten in an environmentally controlled storage area. They have no guidelines regarding unopened--in their original wrapping undisturbed. FWIW, the wrapping does not appear to have been tampered with. Given that the part number appears to have been superseded a while before purchased it 10-15 years ago, it's unknown how long the bearing's been around. It could be in good shape, but maybe not. Also, I can't 100% tell if it's a C3 bearing.

Also, it's more about curiosity now than anything else.

Take a photo with a smart phone. Call the bearing house and ask if you can text a photo to them for identification.

On the other hand, I look for reasons to take a 20-25 minute trip so I can ride the bike somewhere.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Back