• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

hey mel - Can't polish everything, but that's a 'relief'

gtgt_bangbang

.. leveling the peaks from the maker's mark on castings.
still have to get get to the bridge piece; almost too easy ...

bmw r100 fork brace - 1.jpeg

bmw r100 brace - 1.jpeg.

Last edited:
Moving the convo to the Polish thread.

Here are the carbs close up:

Elsa27-L.jpg

This bike sat in a barn on the NorCal coast for 35+ years and things started out pretty crusty:

Elsa20-L.jpg

There's a lot on the body of the carb that was unreachable even with the smallest buffing appliances on the Dremel, but it doesn't show that much once mounted and mostly hidden behind the RS fairing. But I am contemplating if they can be ball burnished.

I'm impressed by the polished rear MC and will probably add that to the tasks. That, and making SS hard lines. Shopping for a flaring tool right now.......

Moving the convo to the Polish thread.

Here are the carbs .

I appreciate the discipline it took to have a before and after in hand from the pair lol
or did you leave one together for an instruction 'manual'

hm ball burnish. convert a drier to a tumbler ?

these bodies sure ready to final pretty quick

Nice! I like the polish on the ribs. Here's what I did for the /7, which is my 'patina' bike, but these were just too much in the as found condition:

Edgar140-L.jpg

That's my instant valve cover fixture.

Edgar175-L.jpg

Lots of rotating abrasives to get that crap off!

Big fan of vapor blasting to return metals to original condition and finish, myself.

It’s not ever gonna polish it, but my hubs for my /2 came out looking brand new. It was amazing.

Nice! I like the polish on the ribs.
Lots of rotating abrasives to get that crap off!
wait'il you see the barrel & head fins
things' gonna look like a bread slicer loafing down the spit lane

(spit lane (n) the section of a highway where you lane split .... as in " Sure glad I had my yap zipped & goggles donned, while I was lane splitting the spit lane on 680 south"

got to chem strip or better yet blast off crud like those covers, before rotary. less metal removal while getting the deep spots

Back