• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Engine breaking question re: clutch

brownie0486

Read something yesterday that I'm not sure I understood completely, so here goes.
I have an 11RT, I engine break all the time instead of using the brakes to slow down.
Does engine breaking create undue wear of the dry clutch faster?
Thanks for the input

I engine break some, but I figure brake pads are a lot easier to replace than clutch, so I keep it to a minimum.

My experience is that clutch “lockup” is clutch “lockup”. As long as a rider is not trying to slow a machine down feathering the clutch. For example, having the machine in first gear and slowly letting the clutch at 40mph.
OM

My experience is that clutch “lockup” is clutch “lockup”. As long as a rider is not trying to slow a machine down feathering the clutch. For example, having the machine in first gear and slowly letting the clutch at 40mph.
OM

I keep my rpms at 3800-4000 in any gear and either shift up or down one gear [ down being engine braking ] in that range.

Thanks

Not to be "that guy", but its engine BRAKING.

Further to what Eastbay says, ask yourself this: What costs more to replace, clutch discs and piston rings or brake pads?

I think I've noticed the concern from the airline industry. They used to do a lot of reverse thrust for slowing the aircraft down after landing. Now it seems they're hard on the brakes instead. :deal

Seems to me that engine braking requires that the rider brings the RPM higher so that the RPM goes downward when the bike is goes into the lower gear. I always learned from reading sports car magazines as a youth that when downshifting the RPM was raised prior to engagement so to minimized drive train shock.

I had an engine lock up and slide the tire without ever slipping the clutch. I can't envision rolling off with engine braking causing the clutch to slip.

I hope you are not asking about breaking the engine but rather how to brake using the engine :) Sorry couldn’t resist :)

When you use engine braking properly you are not wearing out the clutch or at least not more than regularly driving/riding. The clutch is engaged so its the same as you are accelerating. To engine brake you first need to downshift properly - rev up- ideally matching the rpms, downshift then brake. You will use engine and regular brakes at the same time.

One is not exclusive to the other. With manual transmissions bike or a car you do not keep transmission disengaged as a rule to keep the power to the wheels at all times so the point is moot. You will be using engine braking regardless.

Clutch replacement is more expensive than brakes not really applicable here as you are not slipping the clutch when engine braking

I have a manual trans car and replaced the clutch at 260k kms part of preventative maintenance - it still had about 20% life left. I use engine braking all the time

Cannot speak for bikes as mine bave wet clutches.

I hope you are not asking about breaking the engine but rather how to brake using the engine :) Sorry couldn’t resist :)

When you use engine braking properly you are not wearing out the clutch or at least not more than regularly driving/riding. The clutch is engaged so its the same as you are accelerating. To engine brake you first need to downshift properly - rev up- ideally matching the rpms, downshift then brake. You will use engine and regular brakes at the same time.

One is not exclusive to the other. With manual transmissions bike or a car you do not keep transmission disengaged as a rule to keep the power to the wheels at all times so the point is moot. You will be using engine braking regardless.

Clutch replacement is more expensive than brakes not really applicable here as you are not slipping the clutch when engine braking

I have a manual trans car and replaced the clutch at 260k kms part of preventative maintenance - it still had about 20% life left. I use engine braking all the time

Cannot speak for bikes as mine bave wet clutches.

In before BC1100S. Exclusive OF (yes?)

Meanwhile back at the clutch... What you said has also been my understanding...even though the "What costs more...?" seems to settle the Q,I don't think it's german...I mean germain. Bear in mind, I'm more keyboard jockey than mechanic.

If I have plenty of room I'll ease off the throttle and slow by downshifting using the shift assist without clutch, but that's not often. Mostly I'll use the front and rear brakes, or just the front with whatever rear brake the linked system gives me. Using the brakes, I'll often pull in the clutch and downshift as my speed decays to whatever the correct gear is, so if I need to accelerate I won't have to fumble for the right gear.

Remeber that the bike reacts to engine braking exactly as it does to the rear brake. It doesn't care WHY the rear wheel wants to go slower than the rest of the bike, it just "knows" that it does.

Overall, I'm with the "it's cheaper to replace brakes than the clutch" crowd.

Engine braking is harmless and also very effective. It will slow you down much faster than an automobile or truck. Just keep in mind it doesn't light up that precious rear brake light.

Back