• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Teslas and motorcycles - a problem

Using cruise contol in the snow? No comment. I would be banned from the forum for printing what I'm thinking right now.

Wet snow, not sticking to pavement, which was not snow-covered, just wet. The wet snow stuck to the Toyota emblem on the front of my car, which is the radar unit.

Think before you post.

We just spent Labor Day riding in touristy Colorado. No matter how bad a Tesla car might work, it is no match for Colorado holiday drivers. Trains of cars, following at 65 or 70 miles an hour, 1 to 2 car lengths behind the car ahead of them, constantly flashing brake lights, and not knowing how to pass. And then when a Passing lane would appear it was pure chaos until drivers had to challenge each other in games of chicken when the road went back to one lane. No matter how bad a semi automatic car like Tesla is, it is no challenge for the idiocy of human drivers

Last edited:
https://nypost.com/2021/07/12/teslas-newest-self-driving-update-comes-with-ominous-warning/

"The latest update, officially called “Full Self-Driving Beta Version 9,” includes a warning that drivers must remain awake and alert at the wheel because the car “may do the wrong thing at the worst time,” according to images shared by Tesla drivers online."

"Musk himself also urged drivers to be cautious, warning, “there will be unknown issues, so please be paranoid.”

"Tesla’s use of the words “self-driving” to describe a feature that requires drivers to remain alert may be misleading, according to the California Department of Motor Vehicles."

I'm not surprised by that video at all. Tesla is comparatively new in the automotive manufacturing market and they made a name for themselves by doing a lot of things (a lot of them good) that the traditional auto manufacturers weren't. Some of those things weren't rocket science, they just weren't ready for mass market. In my opinion, augmented/semi-autonymous driving was one of those things that wasn't ready for mass market, and still isn't completely. There's just too many variables to both definitively ensure safety, and limit liability.

I have a BMW X5 that has Advanced Drivers Assist which works well, but you can tell there was almost a reluctance to allow the vehicle to do stuff on it's own. It requires almost constant contact with the steering wheel, and has a sensor to ensure your eyes are focused on the road. If you deviate from either of those things, the vehicle has a hissy fit with a combination of visual and audible warnings. With those two requirements, is the car even driving itself? The interesting thing about their system is it's ability to identify motorcycles and trucks, as opposed to just "things" around it. On the nerdier side of things, it uses a an array of sensors including visual, ultrasonic, and radar. Even with all of thoes things working in unison, BMW still calls it an "assistant" and not "autonymous". I think that may be the big difference between a "new" auto manufacturer and one that knows what a liability lawsuit looks like.

da.JPG

Based on the Tesla that ran directly into the overturned truck in the fast lane...I'd say don't count on it.

Yeah, but the point is that no current driver assistance technology is certified to be completely autonomous. The driver of the car is still supposed to be the brains of the operation.

When I started riding back in the ‘70’s the rule was always assume you are invisible to other drivers. It would seem the same applies to computers and AI. The more things change the more they stay the same!

Talmadge

I'd walk before I'd ever own a Tesla and that's a fact!

Paul Glaves wrote a comment about drivers in Colorado. I wonder if he's been on hwy 101 up the Oregon Coast as of late?

Paul Glaves wrote a comment about drivers in Colorado. I wonder if he's been on hwy 101 up the Oregon Coast as of late?

Nope! Too much smoke last time I thought about Oregon. I want to keep golf balls in my tank bag. I figure one might take out a tailgater's grill on the second bounce.:banghead

Our daughter has a Tesla Model 3. It is far and away the most fun car to drive I have ever driven. 0 to 60 in sub-three seconds is fun, but use the headrest for neck stability.

I'd love to have a Tesla for a sports car. One model does the 1/4 mile in 9.1 seconds. It is a luxury sedan and costs $120K, but imagine what you would have to pay to get a car with an ICE to do that in a 1/4 mile?

The driver of the car is still supposed to be the brains of the operation.
Which is exactly why the system doesn't work! No Brains! Anyone stupid enough to allow his car to run straight into an overturned truck on the interstate in perfect weather is ether asleep or comatose! Don't forget, the U.S. has by far the least stringent licensing requirements of any (so-called) developed country. So weak as to be non-existent, really.

I'd love to have a Tesla for a sports car. One model does the 1/4 mile in 9.1 seconds. It is a luxury sedan and costs $120K, but imagine what you would have to pay to get a car with an ICE to do that in a 1/4 mile?

We have a friend whose daughter has an older Model Y. She regularly takes it - box stock - to the drag strip and defeats anybody with an ICE car.

Besides our neighbor with a model Y we also have a neighbor with a Chevy Bolt. Now I'm not a Chevy guy as in I like Fords but between the Tesla and the Chevy I'll take the Chevy. The Bolt is front wheel drive with one 200HP electric motor whereas the model Y has two electric motors both have the 1000 pound lithium battery which is the main reason why I would wait before going electric. I think the aluminum ion battery will soon eclipse the lithium bats. Anyway, the Tesla has a somewhat harsh ride, the fit and finish is not good on the Tesla and my neighbor has to take his model Y to Portland to get the hood adjusted, 300 mile round trip. The Tesla with its 15" monitor with the small digital speed display in the upper left corner of the monitor is a joke as are the ridiculous whistles and bells that the Tesla is loaded with. When my neighbor demonstrated the ridiculous feature that plays music through the sound system while the windows, lights and rear door keep time with the music to me is and absolute farce. Did I mention my Tesla neighbor has another odd problem as in the drivers seat has developed a mind of its own and for no reason just starts moving back and forth. I wouldn't lower myself to own one of these cars just no way. Now the Chevy is much lighter on the whistles and bells and I think is built with much more finesse than is the Tesla. The Ford CEO says that big things are on the horizon where battery technology is concerned and the day is fast approaching when electric cars will be so refined with new technology (batteries) that price wars will become the norm. So, give it a couple years but for now no thank you. I would like a new Ford Escape with an aluminum ion battery for a reasonable price and a range of say...400 miles with a rapid charge that is 60 to 70 times faster than a lithium 1000 pound boat anchor that has to have its own cooling system even.

A Tesla model Y will probably whip my Mustang GT/CS in a race but not by much. It will also no doubt out handle my Mustang but if I had a thousand pound boat anchor hanging under the stang it would handle just as well as any Tesla with its low slung 1000 pound battery. The closest Toyota dealer recently took a model Y in on trade for a Prius because the Tesla had to have new struts installed not once but twice in Portland. Such a deal!

Back