• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Fuel Filter Replacement Interval and Cost

RadioFlyer

Right2Repair
Although an odd place to find it the fuel filter replacement interval of 24,000 miles for all models (60,000 miles for the K) in recent years may be found in the warranty booklet.

This excerpt for the R bikes is illustrative.

Fuel Filter Intervals.jpg

However the fuel filter is not available as a separate part from BMW. It is only available as part of the entire fuel pump assembly. In this example for the R1200/1250GS the assembly costs $518.

US Fuel Pump Assembly.jpg

The fuel filter for these bikes is a Mahle KL 315 and it can be purchased in the aftermarket for far less money. There is a small o-ring on top that does not come with the filter.

Does anyone else find it strange that BMW would recommend regular fuel filter replacement yet not sell them except as part of a larger more expensive assembly?

POST SCRIPT:
I note that this vendor does inlcude the o-ring with the filter.

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/ff-315.htm

Last edited:
Not sure the filter you speak of applies to ALL models as you suggest.

My K1600 has no mention of a fuel filter in the owners manual, and definitely nothing in the Maintenance Schedule section. I looked up the K1600 fuel pump, which has a similar though larger pump compared to your R series pump. The K series pump has what BMW calls a strainer where your R series has a filter. The K series strainer has a different shape to that of your filter. The K series strainer DOES have a BMW part number, selling for $86.07. The K series pump also costs $518.49 but excludes the strainer or level sensor. At least with the R series pump, they include a filter and level sensor with the pump "for free". So, BMW provides me a way to replace my K series strainer, but doesn't mention any need to do so in the maintenance section, yet BMW expects you to replace your R series bike, err entire pump, every 24000 miles in order to replace the filter...

Does anyone else find it strange that BMW would recommend regular fuel filter replacement yet not sell them except as part of a larger more expensive assembly?

Not really. I think it’s just a method of maintaining a healthy revenue stream long after the initial sale. Probably no different from their $60 a pint hypoid gear oil or $2300 each shocks. Done at a dealer, the owner may not have much choice but to pay whatever is charged, but BMW is not alone with this practice. Other “premium” German brands also levy a similar “tax” for routine parts replacement. Porsche and Mercedes come to mind.

Some people don’t care what it costs as long as they are in the “premium” market.

Strange, no. Over-priced, yes. $519!!!
Item 2 is the intake strainer - $100!!!
Is the "filter" between the coiled-up hose and the round piece with the depression and the fitting or snout?
Maybe it's "permanently" attached?
If not, the aftermarket probably has an equivalent that would fit and filter just fine; just make sure it's injection-rated. I looked on the NAPA, O'Reilly's, and AutoZone sites, and I didn't see a KL315, tho Amazon and Quantum show it.

Not sure the filter you speak of applies to ALL models as you suggest.

My K1600 has no mention of a fuel filter in the owners manual, and definitely nothing in the Maintenance Schedule section. I looked up the K1600 fuel pump, which has a similar though larger pump compared to your R series pump. The K series pump has what BMW calls a strainer where your R series has a filter. The K series strainer has a different shape to that of your filter. The K series strainer DOES have a BMW part number, selling for $86.07. The K series pump also costs $518.49 but excludes the strainer or level sensor. At least with the R series pump, they include a filter and level sensor with the pump "for free". So, BMW provides me a way to replace my K series strainer, but doesn't mention any need to do so in the maintenance section, yet BMW expects you to replace your R series bike, err entire pump, every 24000 miles in order to replace the filter...

The warranty booklet covers the K1600 as well but exceptionally it does have a longer interval.

K model Fuel Filter Intervals.jpg

You should not confuse the strainer with the filter. The strainer is a mesh before the pump. The filter is after the pump.

While I am not certain it looks like the K bikes may share the same design as the assembly on the Hexhead R bikes. It had a larger filter but it was enclosed in plastic and could not be replaced without buying the entire assembly. With the intro of liquid cooling the R bikes adopted a design where the filter was a separate replaceable part (although not sold by BMW as such).

K model US Fuel Pump Assembly.jpg

Here is a photo of the liquid cooled R bike fuel pump assembly. The fuel filter is the aluminum can.

Pump Assembly.jpg

Last edited:
Strange, no. Over-priced, yes. $519!!!
Item 2 is the intake strainer - $100!!!
Is the "filter" between the coiled-up hose and the round piece with the depression and the fitting or snout?
Maybe it's "permanently" attached?
If not, the aftermarket probably has an equivalent that would fit and filter just fine; just make sure it's injection-rated. I looked on the NAPA, O'Reilly's, and AutoZone sites, and I didn't see a KL315.

Yes the filter is after the pump connected to it by a black flex hose. It is held on with a bracket and two screws.

Just Google "MAHLE KL 315" for aftermarket sources.

The warranty booklet covers the K1600 as well but exceptionally it does have a longer interval.

View attachment 89084

You should not confuse the strainer with the filter. The strainer is a mesh before the pump. The filter is after the pump.

Given the similarity in how the K bike fuel pump assembly is constructed I would fully expect that the filter is in the same place.

View attachment 89085

Here is a photo of the R bike fuel pump assembly. The fuel filter is the aluminum can.

View attachment 89086
Ah, I see. I guess you should be happy as the strainer and level senor is included for free withe R series bike whereas the K series exclude theses extras, for the same price.

At least it would appear there are cheaper options for the filter.

BMW are rather proud of the BMW packaging they add to TPMS sensors too, even compared to what other bike makers like KTM sell the same part for.

No that isn't it. The MAHLE KL 315 does not have barbs at each end, only one end. The outlet uses an o-ring to seal against the black plastic "lid".

Ah, thanks for the correction! I was poised to order the Mann to have on hand for the swap, thinking BMW had stuck with the same filter they’ve used for decades. I’ll get some KL 315s on order as I’m close to due for a replacement.

Best,
DeVern

If you are doing the job yourself you can pick up one of these universal fuel pump retaining ring pin wrenches for not a lot of money (rather than the pricey BMW tool) on Amazon and elsewhere and it will do the job and allow you to use a torque wrench to get the ring back on to spec. The critical part of the job is to get the lid to pop in without displacing or crimping the gasket. BMW recommends a new gasket but if you are inclined to reuse the old one submerge it in gas while its out otherwise it shrinks. Lube it with something that is rubber friendly (I used dielectric grease) for the install.

Flange tool.jpg

When is the last time someone had a fuel filter clogged? US gas stations, at least anything that would resemble a modern gas station, are running Veeder-Root systems that are real good at keeping gas clear and clean.
OM

When is the last time someone had a fuel filter clogged? US gas stations, at least anything that would resemble a modern gas station, are running Veeder-Root systems that are real good at keeping gas clear and clean.
OM

Some of us ride to places where gas is purchased from anywhere or anyone you can get it from, in circumstances far different than most US gas stations. Filters may not plug immediately, but cumulatively over time; hence routine scheduled replacement.

Best,
DeVern

Some of us ride to places where gas is purchased from anywhere or anyone you can get it from, in circumstances far different than most US gas stations. Filters may not plug immediately, but cumulatively over time; hence routine scheduled replacement.

Best,
DeVern

Yeah, that’s why I phrased my question the way I did. I think these look like a good idea for when gasoline is sold in used 2-liter bottles on the side of the road-

https://bestrestproducts.com/product-category/guglatech-fuel-and-air-filters/

What are you doing for your 4 wheel vehicles?
OM

BMW's confidence in the life of the fuel filters in their cars is reflected in the fact that fuel filter replacement is excluded in even their most expensive extended care plans.

Back