• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Fuel Filter Replacement Interval and Cost

Yeah, that’s why I phrased my question the way I did. I think these look like a good idea for when gasoline is sold in used 2-liter bottles on the side of the road-

https://bestrestproducts.com/product-category/guglatech-fuel-and-air-filters/

What are you doing for your 4 wheel vehicles?
OM

The GUGLAtech filters look like a good idea, tho I’m not sure how easy they are to remove, clean, and reinsert. It was not unusual, back in the day, to find brick-k bikes with clogged filters and twice I had to help riding companions replace filters at roadside, including one memorable experience a few miles down the road after a refueling.

As for the cages, I don’t worry about them as I don’t take them to places like Mexico, South America, or northwestern Canada. And, they get fueled by the same rules I try to follow with my bikes—high-volume, brand-name stations that are not in the process of receiving a bulk fuel delivery or showing signs of having just had such a delivery. But if I ever do have one get plugged, I’ll be angling for bypassing the in-tank filter setup and installing an inline external filter properly rated for FI pressure levels. In-tank and difficult to access filters are poor engineering designs in my book.

Best,
DeVern

It was not unusual, back in the day, to find brick-k bikes with clogged filters and twice I had to help riding companions replace filters at roadside, including one memorable experience a few miles down the road after a refueling.

Best,
DeVern

The filters BMW sells for the classic K bikes would sometimes clog with even a few dollops of water. I always carry a spare on my K75. I have had a clogged one I put on a shelf dry out after a while and be reusable, but I never did reuse it.

Until this recent change to the fuel pump assembly, the early Hex-Cam models,with exception of metal tank Roadsters, had only a screen… no filter like the pre 2005 models or this latest iteration on the 1200 since maybe 2013?. Definitely came across several plugged 11xx filters from water in the tank.
Only cage I change filters on with regularity is the Dodge Cummins!

Until this recent change to the fuel pump assembly, the early Hex-Cam models,with exception of metal tank Roadsters, had only a screen… no filter like the pre 2005 models or this latest iteration on the 1200 since maybe 2013?. Definitely came across several plugged 11xx filters from water in the tank.
Only cage I change filters on with regularity is the Dodge Cummins!

I think that the Hexheads had a filter but it was enclosed in plastic attached to the lid and could not be replaced as an individual part.

I think that the Hexheads had a filter but it was enclosed in plastic attached to the lid and could not be replaced as an individual part.

Saw GSAddicts info in the other thread. The units I replaced were not candidates for adding a filter due to long sitting in spoiled fuel and all rubber and plastic basically destroyed

This was worst one from a K12S( not ours!)

85C1F6C0-3BCB-4860-B426-AD50C9D4963D.jpg

32C4B1DF-7489-46BE-AA6A-E4AB8630E581.jpg

The R1200R’s have a filter in the tunnel on bottom of tank… easy replacement!

Back