• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Member - Seattle, WA

rowervw

Hello all. New member (as of July) and newly relocated in Seattle from South Texas. I haven't made my BMW acquisition yet but have test driven the r1250RS and am pretty in love. I started looking at the Yamaha Tracer 9 GT, then came over to the r1250 RS and also looking pretty hard at the s1000xr as I'm 6'3" and having a more upright riding position would be a better for what I'm looking to do (distance riding, backroads, etc.). I also took a look at the Kawasaki GSX-S 1000GT+ this past weekend, and while a really good looking and compelling package, there are not a lot of those bikes available and the purchase pricing after the added fees seems a bit aggressive. I'm seeing quite a few used Gen 1 s1000xr bikes available and a few Gen 2s that I'm going to be looking at as well. Looking forward to machine acquisition and the adventures to come!

Welcome to the forum!
Fit is important when you are choosing a motorcycle.
Good luck with your search.
Gary

Welcome neighbor...

Have you looked at the S1000XR or a GS/A... they seem to be built for taller riders. I believe Lake City has one you can look at/demo.

Welcome rowervw! Hmmm...6'3"...distance riding and backroads...a GS may be worth a look. Hope you will post a pic or two when the acquisition is complete.

Thanks all for the warm welcome and input. @mikegalbicka - that cycle ergo tool is super helpful. Thanks for providing! I went back yesterday to Seattle BMW yesterday at test rode a 2000 s1000 xr. I think that is the bike for me. Super comfortable, great power, and all the touring capability I need. Now to hunt down the right one for my garage :).

Hallo rowerVW from the Tennessee River countryside!

Since you’re still shopping, consider the MOA Marketplace:
>>> http://marketplace.bmwmoa.org/classified/adv-dual-sport-gs-browse-89.aspx < < <

So many choices; but do remember the “Chain Maintenance” issue if the XR is your selection. I’ve heard folks love the bike for all your stated reasons, but there are many other factors to consider... :brow

Happy Trails whenever they lead - Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —--&-— USAF-Ret’d

'09 650GS-twin —- '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS —-—— '75 R90S
’08 CRF230L —--— ’09 KLX250S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

Well - looks like I'm about to be the proud owner of a 2020 s1000xr! Bike has under 8k on it and comes loaded with dynamic package, red paint, and side/top cases. Very excited to be picking it up in a week and a half! Thanks for the initial insight and consideration factors provided. Looking forward to putting some miles and memories on this bike!

Back