• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thinking about a 1995 R1100GS. What should I look out for?

senseamidmadness

Neglected Bike Adopter
I've had an opportunity come up to possibly trade my sad 1997 R850R for a pretty good-looking 1995 R1100GS. It's got 65k miles and appears to have been well-maintained, with some records.

What do I need to know about this particular year that could be a concern down the road? Earlier transmission model woes, what good stuff it might be missing that later models have, stuff that applies to a GS at this mileage, that sort of thing. I know it's Year 1 for the US model R1100GS; were there any significant teething problems?

Edit: I should say if I get it I do plan on taking it off-road. Probably nothing too aggressive.

Last edited:
Depends on what is narfed and how bad it is... used or aftermarket replacements are available.

To add to "what to look for" - by now, if it has the factory shocks, they're junk.
There is also an upgrade to the throttle cables, but I don't know if it applies to the GS.
Needs steel brake lines... not the factory hoses.

Got to test ride it today for a short ride of less than 10 miles, on both the interstate and back roads. It has a build date of 03/94. I didn't push it or ride it too long for a reason I'll explain below...It feels less smooth than my 850 and I don't know how much of that is down to it being the larger engine or being slightly out of tune. I suspect more of the latter as it hiccups a bit while idling and at low throttle openings. I checked and it's still got the original crossover-type throttle cable.
I think it needs a valve adjustment. The owner says he did one last year, but the engine sounds a tad bit more clacky from the left cylinder head than the right when sitting on it and revving it between idle and 3k. He also said it was about a half-inch of mercury off when he did a throttle body sync. I don't think he knew how important it is to get the sync as close to perfect as possible. No cam chain clack on startups though, and it has had the left side tensioner upgraded.

Edit: Didn't think to check if the clacking was throttle body shaft play. I'll have to remember that next week when I see the machine again.

It does shift smoothly and precisely...for an Oilhead. Not as well as my RT but a little better than the 850R, and no unpleasant transmission noises. Owner says the transmission (which is an M94, serial ends in DAG) was rebuilt at 30k and he has paperwork for that.

It has the stock shocks, but the owner says they were rebuilt professionally last year and I believe it because they don't feel atrocious. However, he will also include a pair of Ohlins with the bike that need rebuilding.

It has stainless brake lines front and rear already, which is good. A previous owner had an ABS failure and removed the pump entirely, and retrofitted shorter stainless brake lines to it, but didn't remove the tone rings or sensors. :scratch

One plus is that it has the anodized Akront wheels instead of the Behrs from later that year, so they aren't corroded and look to be in great shape.

It has a bunch of other fancypants stuff on it, including Touratech rear subframe reinforcements, an aftermarket taller windscreen (which I hate because it buffets my head right at the top of my visor), a Touratech steering bump stop, very nice aluminum hard cases, some very expensive-looking lowered and adjustable serrated metal footpegs, adjustable serrated metal shift lever and brake pedal, Russell Day-Long seats front and rear, an aluminum "security" oil filler cap which isn't leaking, upgraded Bosch injectors from EuroMotoElectrics, and a previous owner retrofitted an RID into the dash which even works. The heated grips work too. He has some other parts that came off it that he'll include, like the original tinted BMW windscreen and a few other bits and bobs. I have plenty to give him from the 850 too.

It needs basically all the routine maintenance done, unfortunately, but that's not a big deal to me and I have most of the supplies for that already. New air filter and fuel filter, new grips, transmission and final drive oils changed, probably brake fluid front and rear, valve adjustment and vacuum sync, and the scariest thing...it has blocky Michelin tires from 2014 and 2012 on it. :eek Those tires do NOT feel good -- not only are they close to the wear bars both front and rear with some scalloping on the front, as soon as you lean over by more than a couple degrees they make the whole bike vibrate. So it needs tires RIGHT NOW, in my opinion.

It's far from perfect, but I liked it. He still needs to ride mine but I think the trade may happen next week. He wants something that's lower to the ground and really likes BMW's, and I always wanted a GS, so this is a fortunate happenstance for both of us.

Last edited:
Back