• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Time to choose..Maybe?

jammess

Jammess
I fear my days in the saddle are limited as I'm presently 78 and will be 79 in just a couple months. So, I'm beginning to think about cutting down to just one motorcycle and I'm thinking the keeper will be the 29 year old R1100RSL for a couple reasons and probably the biggest is nostalgia related. Also a consideration is ease of maintenance and I'm sure I would get more bucks for the FJR than the BMW. Admittedly there are advantages to the FJR. Both bikes have the same number of miles (about 14K) and are nothing short of pristine and I like them both. One thing that bothers me about the BMW is parts availability and the biggest issue could well be the M93 transmission which I believe is no longer available nor is it supported by BMW in any way. That's too bad as I think it is the best of the 3 trans for the R1100 bikes. I always have used Motul 80-90 gear lube with moly and over time the noisy dogs while in neutral have totally quieted down. I love the non integrated transmissions that have been used in Beemers until the gizmo loaded wet heads made the scene followed by the so-called shift cams both of which I have never been at all interested in. Wish I still had my first BMW an R75/7 then the decision would really be easy.

So anyway these are my thoughts now all I have to do is make a move. Question: Which bike would you keep if it was your decision? Getting rid of both is a nonstarter for me and most likely always will be.

I fear my days in the saddle are limited as I'm presently 78 and will be 79 in just a couple months. So, I'm beginning to think about cutting down to just one motorcycle and I'm thinking the keeper will be the 29 year old R1100RSL for a couple reasons and probably the biggest is nostalgia related. Also a consideration is ease of maintenance and I'm sure I would get more bucks for the FJR than the BMW. Admittedly there are advantages to the FJR. Both bikes have the same number of miles (about 14K) and are nothing short of pristine and I like them both. One thing that bothers me about the BMW is parts availability and the biggest issue could well be the M93 transmission which I believe is no longer available nor is it supported by BMW in any way. That's too bad as I think it is the best of the 3 trans for the R1100 bikes. I always have used Motul 80-90 gear lube with moly and over time the noisy dogs while in neutral have totally quieted down. I love the non integrated transmissions that have been used in Beemers until the gizmo loaded wet heads made the scene followed by the so-called shift cams both of which I have never been at all interested in. Wish I still had my first BMW an R75/7 then the decision would really be easy.

So anyway these are my thoughts now all I have to do is make a move. Question: Which bike would you keep if it was your decision? Getting rid of both is a nonstarter for me and most likely always will be.

Email Tom Cutter at the Rubber Chicken Racing Garage (rubberchickenracing@gmail.com ) and ask him if there are maintenance issues with the M93 transmissions, and what if any repair options/issues would argue against keeping the R1100RSL. I suspect that his answer will be reassuring.

If it were me, and I am about 10 years behind you, I’d look for a smaller, lighter bike.

Oh, wait… BMW no longer makes smaller, lighter bikes!

i-j6zJ5rD-XL.jpg

The Yamaha weighs 640 pounds. That might get to be a problem for moving it around in the garage.

Well, it seems this thread was read by a party that is very interested in the FJR. So I have a decision to make and it is proving to be extremely hard. I have known this day was coming and I'm here to tell you it is psychologically very difficult. I know I should do it but jeez Louise. Fact is I kind of bonded with the FJR. I didn't at first but time passed. I had the ECU flashed by Ivan the tuner and then recently Ivan came out with a program mod to the flash and now the thing runs like a Swiss watch no exaggeration. I got to sleep on this...again.

THERE is your real answer. Find someone trustworthy to FULLY SERVICE and restore a R75/7, sell both newer bikes and live happily ever after.

Smaller and lighter than what?

That's a really good question, well put. My R1100RSL lost about 20 pounds recently when I got rid of that muffler/cat assembly so it's about 135 lbs lighter than the FJR.

I thought about trying to find a good original R75 but good luck with that and the airheads have really appreciated especially if they are in good low miles condition and then there are the brakes and how they perform when used in today's world as in not very well. Traffic in these parts has become a real challenge to deal with as I suspect it has in many places. I recently spoke with some people from Wyoming and it doesn't sound like it's any better back there especially around the big parks. I worked for 5 years in Yellowstone in the 70s and I guess now the place is just overrun. I'm not going near the place because I'd rather remember it as it was. I sure had some great rides in that part of the world. I'll never forget my first ride over the Bear Tooth in '78 a week after the park service road crew opened the road up after winter. I was the only one on the road from Cooke City to Red Lodge, MT. I worked the park two way radio system in Yellowstone and that involved running the mountains in winter on a snow mobile when a repeater went down which often times happened during winter storms. I couldn't do that now if my life depended on it. lol..lol.. but what a way to go..lol.

Smaller and lighter than what?

Than Most of the lard-assed motorcycles BMW currently offers.

To be fair, your 310 is fairly light but it is underpowered and you need to wring its neck to run down the highway. I may be wrong, but I think your bike blew up for that reason. (My Xchallenge weighs the same as the 310 and it has the outstanding Rotax 650 motor)

My Honda CB500X weighs roughly 40lbs (10%) more, but runs at 5300 RPM to do 70mph… with more than a little extra oomph when needed. Certainly not a rocket ship, though. Yet it is a far more well-rounded motorcycle than the 310, imo.

The 310 makes 20 lb/ft of torque at 7500 rpm, so .05 lb/ft per pound when you’re wringing its neck… significantly less as lower engine speeds.

The CB500X makes 32 lb/ft at 6500 rpm, so .75 lb/ft per pound at lower rpm. (The engine actually displaces 470cc)… and the bike has what I think is exceptional mid-rpm power.

My bike cost $5300 new… but to be fair, it’s a 2013. The new models are in the low 6s… the 310 about the same. Also to be fair, the X did need a $1k suspension upgrade to suit my performance/handling requirements while touring with luggage.

My X gets 80-90 mpg on regular gas. I don’t know what the 310 does, but I expect it is pretty good.

imo, BMW Motorrad have become too heavy, too complex and too expensive. And they cost way more to maintain than Hondas. And there are a TON more Honda dealers than BMWs. All that said, the Honda is still no BMW, but at some point the lily gets gilded.

If BMW were to design a bike like the X they would sell a ton of them to older BMW riders who are unable to ride their heavy bikes any more, and contemplating quitting riding. And they are a great first bike for women and smaller men. The 310 is better for a larger person, imo.

Ian

To be fair, your 310 is fairly light but it is underpowered and you need to wring its neck to run down the highway. I may be wrong, but I think your bike blew up for that reason.
Ian

The 310 defect is the same as found on the R1250 and K1600 bikes: improper use of the "Diamond Like Coating" on the rocker arms, leading to gouging the camshaft lobes and broken valves. BMW documented the defect in August, 2019 and specified the use of replacement rocker arms with new camshafts. I think (hope) that the 2020 and later engines have the proper new rocker arms but I didn't pull the rocker covers to see for sure.

Sell both and buy what you really want (R75/7 plus or minus).

No matter your plans, in reality, how much longer and how much more riding do you think you really are going to do ?

You’re lucky you have the option of owning and riding what you want. If it were me, and it’s not,
I’d do years ‘72 -‘77 too. Good choice.

Charlie

I have to thank all you guys for giving me much food for thought. I agree with Paul G about the R1100RS being the best bike BMW has ever built.

As far as garage maneuvering with the FJR that's never really been an issue for me. I keep both bikes in my insulated and heated 16'x22' shop which is attached to the rear of a two car garage so to access my bikes I have to roll them a total of 30' backwards and believe it or not I've never had an issue. I just move the 14 year old Ford Escape out and sit on the bike and go backwards then I just ride all the way in. The floors have a slight slope to the front double door. The FJR sits pretty low and is easier by far to ride and maneuver than was my '04RT which to me was top heavy and at times a handful. The ABS system on that bike was a complete joke with those linked brakes and what amounted to power steering. Was the only bike I ever dropped in over 40 years of road bikes and all because of those linked brakes. I really lost a lot of respect for BMW because of that. And it cost $200 for the mirror each of the two times I dropped it before I figured out what was going on. All because when I used the rear brake like in a parking lot it would apply the front brake causing the front forks to go all the way to the stops and over I went. Best thing that ever happened was when the ABS modulator began acting up and I removed the thing and all was good like it should have been on day one. Then there was the stick coil debacle. I could go on but you get the picture. Yeah right..I'm going to ever buy a new BMW car or bike...nope, not in what's left of this lifetime.

Last edited:
Well, I've thought it over and have decided to keep them both especially sense they are very different and each has a very distinct purpose and personality.

Back