• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

gs911 issues

slowspoke

Bought a 2013 r1200gs a year ago and a gs911 tool, changed oil and reset system also woke up tire pressure system and got that working. Today I changed oil and the gs911 says needs updated to a yellow version, the 1 I have is red with round connector and is wifi
I follow all the downloads and prompts and when I go in to select the series of bike it doesn't list the 2013 and up 1200 LC Need help so I can reset the service information
thanks in advance

I just updated mine which is the same model.

1. hooked the gs911 to my windows pc with usb cable
2. went to this link and downloaded and installed the latest diagnostics installer at the top of the page
3. ran the diagnostic utility and chose my gs911 with usb connection
4. chose update software now
5. it installed 3 updates with progress bars in about 10 minutes
Note: always best to have your computer attached to a battery backup for any firmware upgrades. Loss of power during this process could brick your device.

Click "About" to see software versions:

before upgrade I was:
Firmware Version
1.58 - 0.201
Base System Version
0.27 - 0.13 - 4
Data pack Version
Device Type
GS-911wifi (10-pin)

after upgrade:
Firmware Version
1.70 - 0.246
Base System Version
0.27 - 0.13 - 4
Data pack Version
Device Type
GS-911wifi (10-pin)

then I opened the gs911 app on the pc and it prompted to check for updates because they were over a year old.

1. clicked tools/setup and changed from wifi to usb connection
2. clicked help/about/check for update
3. updated from version 2104.1 to 2208.2
4. started the program and it is gs911 legacy - not wifi

definitely a problem with the update process for this piece of software. Will test some more. and report back.

Looks to me like the stand alone PC version of the software has been deprecated in favor of the web app or diagnostic utility that they have been adding functionality to over the years for the red models. One way to open the web app is to open the wifi utility then click the link in the lower right hand corner to open diagnostic web app in browser. If you don't want to lose the offline PC version for the wifi unit do not update it beyond version 2104 and be aware that no more development is going into this version.

Last edited:
When I updated mine a few days ago it created a new icon & left the old icon on the screen. I kept clicking the old icon because I didn't see the new icon in the lower corner. Once I clicked the new icon it worked fine.

When I updated mine a few days ago it created a new icon & left the old icon on the screen. I kept clicking the old icon because I didn't see the new icon in the lower corner. Once I clicked the new icon it worked fine.

You have the wifi version?

gs911 issue

This was the problem I was having. Clicked on the new icon and all went well. thank you for the help

Looks to me like the stand alone PC version of the software has been deprecated in favor of the web app or diagnostic utility that they have been adding functionality to over the years for the red models. One way to open the web app is to open the wifi utility then click the link in the lower right hand corner to open diagnostic web app in browser. If you don't want to lose the offline PC version for the wifi unit do not update it beyond version 2104 and be aware that no more development is going into this version.

Good information to know, thank you very much

That didn't happen to me. I just had one icon - for the legacy version - which does not support wifi. When I open it in usb mode it prompts that I should be using the new diagnostic utility instead for my device.

I uninstalled it, then installed 2104 again and updated it again and the same thing happened. This is on a Windows 10 PC. Weird that it is different from your experience.

I uninstalled it again and installed 2104 and won't upgrade that version anymore just in case I ever need offline functionality. I will use the diagnostics app or web app whenever using it under normal online circumstances however.

Back