• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cagers are trouble

nickrides

Nick Kennedy
Gents
On a recent 320 mile W Colorado loop Wed I had 2! poor interactions with cagers.
The 1 st was leaving Delta Co in town, there was a box truck in the right lane with his signal on to turn right. I was passing him doing about 30 when a sedan darted out in front of him to turn left. could not see him coming because of the box truck, I clamped on full brakes, if he would have stopped in front of me I would have hit him, jeez, scared me.
Then I turned left to go through Hotchkiss up on to Grand Mesa northbound. Halfway up to Grand Mesa this guy in a Jetta wagon, turned on his right indicator and pulled off the right side of the road, and then whipped a U turn right in front of me, I was doing about 65, Jeez another near miss!
Between Cagers and Deer....WTH?
Nick

No shortage of idiots driving cars these days. I see stupid stuff like this way more frequently than ever before.

Twice yesterday? That’s odd…Same for me. First a landscaping truck (and trailer) started to make a left in front of me off a side street. They got the horn for a good second which seemed to wake up the catatonic driver, and stop his death move on me. Not even a mile on, a pick up truck is angling to make a left down a private road. He saw the car in front of me but then figured I wasn’t really there, and started to turn. I got past him using the car as interference, all the while my daughter who was riding pillion, was not concerned. Today I’m installing a better headlight (ironically) since it was already planned.

There ARE idiots and fools EVERYWHERE.
There is that old saying, "Drive like you're invisible." It is indeed one of those Great Truths.
They do not pay attention to their driving.
Horns don't wake them up.
Flashing lights are ignored or mis-interpreted, except when they're red and blue, and sometimes even then.
Many people should not even be behind the wheel; knowing that, some don't even bother trying to get a license.

A few weeks ago, a close bro got head-on'd by a guy who was "distracted" by blowing into his mandated breathalyzer to keep his car running. (K16 totaled instantly, and he'll have some metal repair in him forever.)

They ARE out to get you. Like Sarge said on Hill Street Blues - Let's be careful out there.

When the states started handing out licenses for revenue streams instead of issuing them to educated drivers who had to pass a rather extensive test of questions, we were all placed in grave danger on the roads, particularly motor riders

When the states started handing out licenses for revenue streams instead of issuing them to educated drivers who had to pass a rather extensive test of questions, we were all placed in grave danger on the roads, particularly motor riders

Not to mention that most school districts have stopped offering Driver's Education as an elective course, or even a summer program. So dad, or mom, or grandpa or grandma get the honors of trying to teach a person how to drive. There are private schools in many (but far from all) places but they cost money and grandpa is cheap. One thing I know for sure is that nobody, it seems, understands proper following distance any more. Two car lengths at 70 mph isn't it.

Not to mention that most school districts have stopped offering Driver's Education as an elective course, or even a summer program. So dad, or mom, or grandpa or grandma get the honors of trying to teach a person how to drive. There are private schools in many (but far from all) places but they cost money and grandpa is cheap. One thing I know for sure is that nobody, it seems, understands proper following distance any more. Two car lengths at 70 mph isn't it.

I find that driving schools teaching drivers in sub-compact cars is a disservice…….although it is good for the schools overhead costs and simplifies techniques. :eek
OM

This is why I have both Skene Photon Blasters and a set of Clearwater lights on my R1200R. I may still get hit, but i won't be for lack of trying to be seen.

I find it hard just to blame cagers for everything that happens on the road. We are all responsible for what happens out there. Do cagers make stupid moves and seem oblivious to everything? Yep. Do motorcyclist think that all cagers should see them and yield to them? Answer that for yourself. Everyday I ride my MC or drive my car I see stupid stuff that people do. I have seen people eating a bowl of cereal on the intercity interstates while driving, reading books in stop and go traffic, playing on the phones, rocking to music. I have also seem motorcyclist doing stupid things too. Excessive speeds, passing on double yellow, passing on the shoulder while the car is making a left turn. The point is we all have bad driving habits, and they carry over from one vehicle to another.

I curse and cuss at everyone when I drive or ride. That is how I keep my sanity, fortunately they don’t hear me. But in doing this I keep my self in check so I don’t or try not to do the stupid things I see. I just watched the YouTube from F9 about the Tesla’s not seeing motorcycles, Guess what neither can people. Hell people can’t see other cars.

Am I a perfect rider or driver hell no. But I have never been in a MC wreck with others or a car wreck. Close calls everyday. So I guess what I am trying to say is, what’s that old saying, oh yea “Let he cast the first stone.” Gadgets will not fix the problems on the road. We all just need to do a better job when we are on the road regardless of what we driver or ride.

I'm not sure how you intended to apply that, but know this:
There are plenty of guys on this forum who have had wrecks that were entirely Not their fault (and I do not give a rodent's rear about those "experts" who claim "we ALWAYS have some control", or contribution, to any given scenario).
As one of those guys, I have No problem casting stones.

cagers out there

Years ago when I got back into riding I took the MS Safety course and the first thing the instructor said was ,you are responsible for your own safety and are invisible. I took those statements to be true and ride that way everyday. Living in the Lakes Region and White Mts. of NH there is no shortage of distracted drivers. So when I ride solo or with pillon I do what I have to to stay safe, and don't trust any of them, that includes other motorcyclists. In MOP technology is the biggest culprit, gps, cell phones, wristwatches, laptops, music headphones , etc. Got to play with the gadget!!! And yes we have no shortage of intentional cagers, who love to slow you down and play with you. My girl friend says I ride like those damn European guys, and yes I do, so if I feel it is better for my safety I will pass you when I have to opportunity. So every time I AGATT UP, hit the start button, I have become invisible, my words to ride by, because I am the only one looking out for me.

Back