• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Led headlight conversion or even a bulb for 1200r / 1250R

coachz

Does anyone know of a good conversion to get Led into these bikes. Cyclops doesn't have a retrofit that fits in the housing and I tried a full led conversion off of ebay and that looked great but couldn't get right resistors to match the correct resistance and it left me with a bad build code and alert on the aft which was annoying.

Any leads greatly appreciated.

IMHO, save the time, money, and effort as conversions never perform correctly. Even if you get around the wiring issues, you’ll be up against the fact that your headlight lens and reflector bucket were never designed for LED usage and will poorly direct and scatter light.

Buy a pair of good aftermarket LED driving lamps. You’ll be able to aim the lighting correctly and with the new wiring and control systems being offered by the vendors you’ll be able to easily connect to your CANBUS system and be able to control dimming on the lights. Plus, should you decide to change bikes your lighting investment can be redeployed on the new bike.

Best,
DeVern

IMHO, save the time, money, and effort as conversions never perform correctly. Even if you get around the wiring issues, you’ll be up against the fact that your headlight lens and reflector bucket were never designed for LED usage and will poorly direct and scatter light.

Buy a pair of good aftermarket LED driving lamps. You’ll be able to aim the lighting correctly and with the new wiring and control systems being offered by the vendors you’ll be able to easily connect to your CANBUS system and be able to control dimming on the lights. Plus, should you decide to change bikes your lighting investment can be redeployed on the new bike.

Best,
DeVern

I like this advice. When I find a plug-n-play for the F800GS that I like (although I may end up making my own harness) I will head the AUX light route. :thumb
OM

I mounted Clearwater Darla lights.
They are high quality and work well.
They can be fitted with yellow lenses making you more visible to others.
They go to HIGH when you use the brights.
They flash when you honk the horn.
My second pair on my second bike. R1250RS
Highly recommended over a new headlight or in addition to...

I like this advice. When I find a plug-n-play for the F800GS that I like (although I may end up making my own harness) I will head the AUX light route. :thumb
OM

I ran the cyclops in my 2016 800gsa and they worked perfectly with the oem reflector and were an upgrade well worth the money.

I already have both Darla and Erica clearwaters on the bike. I’m looking for a headlight replacement now. Anyone have a lead in that direction?

I ran the cyclops in my 2016 800gsa and they worked perfectly with the oem reflector and were an upgrade well worth the money.

I already have both Darla and Erica clearwaters on the bike. I’m looking for a headlight replacement now. Anyone have a lead in that direction?

When I looked at Cyclops, it looked like high bean with an additional charge for low beam. Seemed like it would be the other way around if one was looking for mostly daytime visibility. Couldn’t figure out why. :dunno
OM

I preferred not to mess around with conversion LEDs on my R1200R and went with the Clearwater Darlas. They're not cheap but they're so nicely integrated into the bike, don't require hacking up the electrical system, and programmable that they're worth the money.

I preferred not to mess around with conversion LEDs on my R1200R and went with the Clearwater Darlas. They're not cheap but they're so nicely integrated into the bike, don't require hacking up the electrical system, and programmable that they're worth the money.

I do like the darlas, and I already have them on this and for that matter all of my bikes.

I'll be installing some LEDs in my 1200RS in the coming days. I'll post up the results.

When I installed them in my K1200S, they were fantastic with no downside whatsoever.

Back