• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

CE 04 anyone?

zip50

Interested in the CE 04, but I realize there aren't many of them out there. Does anyone know if I can use the level 2 charger I use for my EV with the CE04?

CE 04 Charging

Talked to a dealer to get my question answered. The CE04 uses standard CCS connector, so I can use the same charger I use for my EV.

Here's something about charging from the "Cycle World" test ride. The ride was conducted in Barcelona, so perhaps this description only fits the Euro version of the CE 04: Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 7.08.12 AM.png

Here's a little more description toward the end of the review:

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 7.12.32 AM.png

FWIW, I have a Hyundai Ioniq 5. I've charged it using 110V AC, 240 V AC and the 350 kW DC (Electrify America) Chargers. 110 V takes about twenty-four hours to go from 50% to 80%, 240V takes about 4 hours from 20% to 80%, and the 350 kW DC takes 18 minutes to go from 20% to 80%.

Last edited:
Just bought a CE 04

Looks like you had this fully answered. I just bought a CE 04 a couple of weeks ago. I am really enjoying it - it won’t replace my GS Adventure for long trips of course, but for what it is, I am very happy so far.

For anyone looking to purchase one: the range is, of course limited. I can get 70 - 80 miles from a full charge. I look for charging stations when I am out and about and have found free ones, ones that are shown as available but are either not working or have a Tesla sitting in the space (not plugged in, of course) or a Honda accord or whatever, that isn’t even electric. Some of the charging points are restricted to employees only and are in private parking areas, but I have found that many car dealerships have (often free) charging. So long as they have a J-1772 level 2 charger you will be fine.

My BMW Motorrad dealer does not have a charger, but do let me plug in to their outside 120 v outlet, so that gives me a few kW and miles whilst I am browsing/shopping. I spend plenty of money there so a few minutes on a charger isn’t a hardship for them.

I did buy the NEMA 14-50 adapter for the flexibility but will most likely get a home wall box installed. If anyone has a rough idea as to cost, that would be appreciated. I will go down the permit and professional installation route - it might well cost more, but it is better to have all the legal aspects covered.

Overall, it is a fun machine. I use mine for commuting in the main as well as local errands and keep the GS for longer journeys. So long as one appreciates the limitations thereof and takes the charging app “availability” notifications with a pinch of salt, it is great.

IMG_0820.jpgIMG_0713.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you had this fully answered. I just bought a CE 04 a couple of weeks ago. I am really enjoying it - it won’t replace my GS Adventure for long trips of course, but for what it is, I am very happy so far.

For anyone looking to purchase one: the range is, of course limited. I can get 70 - 80 miles from a full charge. I look for charging stations when I am out and about and have found free ones, ones that are shown as available but are either not working or have a Tesla sitting in the space (not plugged in, of course) or a Honda accord or whatever, that isn’t even electric. Some of the charging points are restricted to employees only and are in private parking areas, but I have found that many car dealerships have (often free) charging. So long as they have a J-1772 level 2 charger you will be fine.

My BMW Motorrad dealer does not have a charger, but do let me plug in to their outside 120 v outlet, so that gives me a few kW and miles whilst I am browsing/shopping. I spend plenty of money there so a few minutes on a charger isn’t a hardship for them.

I did buy the NEMA 14-50 adapter for the flexibility but will most likely get a home wall box installed. If anyone has a rough idea as to cost, that would be appreciated. I will go down the permit and professional installation route - it might well cost more, but it is better to have all the legal aspects covered.

Overall, it is a fun machine. I use mine for commuting in the main as well as local errands and keep the GS for longer journeys.[/ATTACH]View attachment 93351

Thanks for the report on this bike. Try not to let the negativity keep you from more reports on how this bike is working out for you. :thumb

OM

"Ah, them powered buggies will never catch on. There is none of that gazzoleen between my farm and town. I'll keep my horses which can graze almost anywhere and drink water from any tub or pond."

Last edited:
Thanks for the report on this bike. Try not to let the negativity keep you from more reports on how this bike is working out for you. :thumb

OM

Oh, I won’t. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it and I am truly happy with it. I can travel from home to work and back; have a few extra miles for the odd errand and I don’t mind stopping at a car dealer to get a 20 minute boost of juice whilst I take in some caffeine. Last time it cost me $0.66 for 3.28 kWh or 40 miles. Cheap as chips. The coffee was free by the way.

Obviously, the infrastructure needs improvement but that will come over time. I live outside the city, but this thing holds its own on the Interstate, doesn’t get charged on the HOV lane (pun not intended) and can readily take a quick charge at Subaru/Ford/Kia/Toyota/Honda car dealers. There are multitudes of these around here. I do not plan on taking it across country and so for all of the things I use it for, it is brilliant. My GS does around 45/g and the car does 32/g. This thing saves a fortune - although it would take a long time recouping the initial cost. That’s fine, it was my choice.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I have mine. There are pros and cons of ownership, of course. For me, the pros outweigh the cons. :beer

Charging Incentives

XMET - I have had a EV car for a year and a half. I don't know what state you live in, but here in New Jersey, the state does not charge sales tax on EVs and the local electric utilitiy (PSEG) gave me $1500 to install a charger in my garage. I had a long run from my panel to the garage, so that used most of the $1500. I bought a ENEL X "JuiceBox" 40-AMP charger for $600. I also learned that Tesla has installed Level 2 (not high-speed DC) chargers in many places. They're called "Destination Chargers" and they're free to use. You can find them at many hotels. Of course they're slower than the DC chargers, but in your case that probably does not have much impact because of your battery size. To use them you need a J-1772 to Tesla converter, and those cost about $80 bucks. I have one and have used it once, so it may not be worth your while to buy.

Perhaps you could check and see what incentives your state might have. I find that my 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 costs me about 4-cents a mile to drive. The electric company gives me a lower rate on Level 2 charging between 9PM and 7AM weekdays, and all day and night on Saturday and Sunday. The only concern I have is long-distance travel, but I've used an iPhone app callled "A Better Route Planner" which finds good charging on trips and calculates when I'll need to stop. On a DC fast charger I can go from 20% charge to 80% charge in about 20 minutes. Hyundai gave me three years of free charging on "Electrify America" stations. I don't use the EA stations much because even though it's free (there's one near my home) lots of DC charging can degrade an EV battery. I drive the car down to about 40% charge, then use my ENEL X (AC Level 2) to bring it up to 60%. That seems to work out well as the projected life of the battery has been extended they tell me.

Anyway, have fun with that CE04!

John

The whole concept seems like more trouble than what its worth.

How so?

We're getting ready to install solar and it'd be awfully nice to have an eScooter to run into town. We're looking at EVs too, because why would I pay for gas when I get fuel off my roof for most of my current gasoline transportation needs?

I'm seriously watching these things. I think they're pretty amazing and right on the forefront of future local transportation, alongside eBicycles, which I also want.

"Ah, them powered buggies will never catch on. There is none of that gazzoleen between my farm and town. I'll keep my horses which can graze almost anywhere and drink water from any tub or pond."

"I cain't fix that damn fuel injection by the side of the road."

"Gimme a points and condenser with a carburetor."

"I don't trust those fancy starters on cars. Gimme a crank."

Same kinda thing going on with these nifty scooters. 🛴 You know what people driving EVs and these things aren't worried about? Gas prices.

When was the last time any of us had that?

XMET - I have had a EV car for a year and a half. I don't know what state you live in, but here in New Jersey, the state does not charge sales tax on EVs and the local electric utilitiy (PSEG) gave me $1500 to install a charger in my garage. I had a long run from my panel to the garage, so that used most of the $1500. I bought a ENEL X "JuiceBox" 40-AMP charger for $600. I also learned that Tesla has installed Level 2 (not high-speed DC) chargers in many places. They're called "Destination Chargers" and they're free to use. You can find them at many hotels. Of course they're slower than the DC chargers, but in your case that probably does not have much impact because of your battery size. To use them you need a J-1772 to Tesla converter, and those cost about $80 bucks. I have one and have used it once, so it may not be worth your while to buy.

Perhaps you could check and see what incentives your state might have. I find that my 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 costs me about 4-cents a mile to drive. The electric company gives me a lower rate on Level 2 charging between 9PM and 7AM weekdays, and all day and night on Saturday and Sunday. The only concern I have is long-distance travel, but I've used an iPhone app callled "A Better Route Planner" which finds good charging on trips and calculates when I'll need to stop. On a DC fast charger I can go from 20% charge to 80% charge in about 20 minutes. Hyundai gave me three years of free charging on "Electrify America" stations. I don't use the EA stations much because even though it's free (there's one near my home) lots of DC charging can degrade an EV battery. I drive the car down to about 40% charge, then use my ENEL X (AC Level 2) to bring it up to 60%. That seems to work out well as the projected life of the battery has been extended they tell me.

John

This is me giving you a Like. :D

That's great information. Thank you.

And your Ioniq 5 is badass.

John

Thank you. It is definitely a learning curve. I just bought a “Tesla Tap” adapter so I can now use Tesla Destination chargers as an option. These are AC only so I hope the battery degradation isn’t as fast as it is with DC. I charge up to 100% at home and 80% whe. I am out and about. This is mainly due to the extended time it takes to go from 80 - 100% which is just how they charge - possibly to protect the battery and give it some longevity. With only 80 miles range, 60% or capacity could be a bit low for range.

I certainly appreciate the helpful tips.

Sorry Paul

This sounds like something about 100 years ago! Horses.
My father-in-law used to say "computers are a FAD" and look at us now. Embrace the future, it is coming!;)
Or maybe this is Paul humor?:dunno

This sounds like something about 100 years ago! Horses.
My father-in-law used to say "computers are a FAD" and look at us now. Embrace the future, it is coming!;)
Or maybe this is Paul humor?:dunno

:ha

It's Paul being funny. He's right, too. We're at a big inflection point and arguments against EVs are going to sound funny and short sighted sooner than we may think. :D

Back