• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mechanic in Idaho/Utah

realskee

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good independent mechanic who is well versed with oilheads in Utah or Idaho? I have a high mileage R1100GS that needs some love. Thanks!

Just a suggestion... check the BMWMOA Anonymous Book for folks that live in the area of interest. Give a call to some and ask for their suggestion. They likely have some first hand experience with that shop.

Several years back I had a flat tire on a tube-type bike whilst on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I didn't have the tools or inclination for a road-side repair. I got towed (AAA RV premium coverage) about 75 miles to a small town. The next day I used the Anonymous Book to call some local numbers. I asked about recommendations for a shop to service the tire. The folks called recommended the same place, which was only a few miles away. I used the towing provided by Progressive Insurance to take the bike and me to that shop. The tire was repaired (new tube) and I was on my way. I had to have a discussion with the owner about the charge. He wanted $48, but I wanted to pay $60. In the end I prevailed and I gave the mechanic some extra for lunch. Great service and I was on my way with only a minor overall delay.

Welcome to the forum! Here is a list of independent mechanics that you could contact to see what services they might provide:

https://ibmwr.org/index.php/independent-bmw-mechanics/

That list needs a bit of updating. Bavarian Motorcycle Works in SLC Utah is no longer in business, as Ron has retired and embarked upon some world traveling. I’m not aware of any other independents in Utah, save for Rootsman Restorations, which is on the list but booked far in advance.

Best,
DeVern

Thanks for the suggestions. Rootsman is booked through this winter. I’m in Boise frequently for work so Britts & Beemers might be a good option.

Thanks for the suggestions. Rootsman is booked through this winter. I’m in Boise frequently for work so Britts & Beemers might be a good option.

Just so you are clear, Britts & Beemers is not in Boise, but actually several miles north of Middleton, Idaho in a rural area.

Ron is Retired - Good for Him but Sad for Us

That list needs a bit of updating. Bavarian Motorcycle Works in SLC Utah is no longer in business, as Ron has retired and embarked upon some world traveling. I’m not aware of any other independents in Utah, save for Rootsman Restorations, which is on the list but booked far in advance.

Best,
DeVern

Ron is no doubt enjoying his well-deserved and earned retirement. Selfish but bad for us as I miss his great work. D.

Back