• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

03 K1200GT (K41) cruise control pops off

dudenamedclem

Didn't see if anyone else was experiencing this, but my K41's cruise control pops off at will, any common places I can check and make sure everything is operating correctly? I thought I should just replace the module but since it seems to sometimes happen during bumps (not exclusively) I thought this might a sensor might need to be looked at.

Thanks in advance!

There are microswitches at clutch lever, frt brake lever, and rear brake pedal. It sounds like one of them is being triggered when you hit a bump. Check the positioning/adjustment on each of them—you should be able to move the lever/pedal just slightly without triggering the switch, with just a touch more movement triggering the switch with an audible click. Alignment can sometimes also be an issue on the rear brake pedal and microswitch.

Best,
DeVern

The more I think about that, I'm going to check out the rear brake as the culprit but will also check the others.

Thank you!

There are microswitches at clutch lever, frt brake lever, and rear brake pedal. It sounds like one of them is being triggered when you hit a bump. Check the positioning/adjustment on each of them—you should be able to move the lever/pedal just slightly without triggering the switch, with just a touch more movement triggering the switch with an audible click. Alignment can sometimes also be an issue on the rear brake pedal and microswitch.

Best,
DeVern

Cruise Control Pop-Off

I experienced the same problem on my '03 K1200RS and it turned out to be a matter of adjusting the end play of the throttle cable at the grip..... needs to be a small amount to keep minor bumps from causing the throttle cable to roll off and disconnect the Cruise Control. Check the book for adjustment procedures.

Dave

I was on a trip with a friend who when we stopped, told me on our return he’d be taking his R2011RT to his dealer as his cruise control was repeatedly cancelling out. I suggested a simple suggestion which immediately solved his problem.

In his case he was unknowingly touching the brake pedal during the ride. By simply repositioning his foot, his cruise problem ended.

This may be something to consider before doing more extensive measures.

I experienced the same problem on my '03 K1200RS and it turned out to be a matter of adjusting the end play of the throttle cable at the grip..... needs to be a small amount to keep minor bumps from causing the throttle cable to roll off and disconnect the Cruise Control. Check the book for adjustment procedures.

Dave

I had the same problem on my 03 K1200RS.

Sorry, slow to respond to thread, I appreciate each of your replies -- I had checked the cable and it seemed to be okay, even checked my foot placement to make sure I wasn't accidentally tapping the rear brake... I certainly need to investigate more now that the weather is starting to get better again and I can take it on a longer distance rides.

Thank you for the reply!

Best,
DeVern

Sorry, slow to respond to thread, I appreciate each of your replies -- I had checked the cable and it seemed to be okay, even checked my foot placement to make sure I wasn't accidentally tapping the rear brake... I certainly need to investigate more now that the weather is starting to get better again and I can take it on a longer distance rides.

Thank you for the reply!
Had the same problem,I disconnected the throttle body CC switch

Back