• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

86 k75 c weird noise 13 k miles

Getting used to this new to me K. There is a noise that is worse when cold. Sounds to me like it’s in what would be the bell housing. Sounds like a loose bearing at about 1500. It might be something of concern or maybe not. I know that’s not a good description.
Thx
Jeff

Jeff,

Is this with the bike moving in gear or stopped with the clutch in or in neutral?

:dance:dance:dance

That sounds like side slap between the gears in the intermediate housing. Most all brick-k bikes acquire that noise sooner or later, and it doesn’t cause any problem other than being acoustically annoying. Quieting it requires pulling the trans and the intermediate housing and re-shimming the gears and is generally not considered worth the time, effort, and expense. The noise is usually only noticeable at idle or below 1500rpm and not noticeable once underway.

Best,
DeVern

Noise is the same in neutral or in gear. With clutch engaged or not. Pretty sure I’m just going to learn to live with it. Just wanted to be sure
Thx
Jeff

Listen where the alternator mounts at the right-rear of the engine. Hard, stiff, worn rubber cush drive pieces will make a noise.

One cheap [ BMW owners' favorite word] and easy diagnostic tool to make, is a section out of a old garden hose, It can be fairly long if needed, like 4'.
Put one end against your ear and the other in the vicinity of suspected noise and if it's there you will hear it.

Nick

Back