Thread: 2000 r1100rt

2000 r1100rt

I have an opportunity to buy a 2000 r1100rt for $2900. It has some Tupperware damage,not too bad. New tires and recent service from local dealership. Has a few extras including color matched one wheel trailer. Has full service history and everything works. It does need fork seals, not a big deal. Anything in this year that I need to look for? I don't really need it, but it looks like a good deal on a solid oil head, and who doesn't need another bike. I'm currently riding a 1994 r1100rs with just 20k on the clock.

Neglected Bike Adopter
    I'm not knowledgeable about that particular year but all the typical Oilhead and R1100RT stuff applies, as well as stuff you'd check when buying any motorcycle.

Ask about whether the Hall Effect Sensor has been repaired or replaced. Ask when the driveline splines were last lubricated, especially the clutch splines, and how the last oil that came out of the final drive and transmission looked. Look at both footpeg plates to make sure they're not cracking, as this frequently happens when the bike falls over with the saddlebags on. Ask whether the cam chain tensioner has been upgraded, and if it hasn't, listen for the telltale "click click click" from the left side of the engine on startup. With the bike on the center stand, try to rock the rear wheel with your hands at the "12 and 6 o'clock" and "9 and 3 o'clock" positions. Check the front and rear brake discs for vertical play (grab them and try to move them up or down). There's probably more I'm forgetting.

That's a fair price for one in good condition with complete maintenance records...assuming the maintenance records are perfectly accurate.

I'm more paranoid than most, but I'd check over the bike with the most recent maintenance records in hand to make sure things actually got done. I have heard of and seen too many times where even dealerships don't do work, don't do it properly, or break things and don't tell the customer. There aren't many techs working nowadays who worked on these machines when they were new and the quality of Motorrad dealership service in the US reportedly varies widely.
    My own local dealership (Bloodworth Motorcycles, prior to a recent ownership change) was so bad in every way that two of my friends said they'd rather ride to the next closest dealer in Chattanooga than patronize it.
    Owner of the saddest 1997 R850R you ever did see, and a less-sad 1996 R1100RT.

you didn't mention the mileage, but that seems a fair price for one in good shape. i paid a little less for mine but it needs tires , needed a coil, [ and I had to do the fork seals too [pretty easy on these bikes]

Ok, I pulled the trigger on the 2000 R1100Rt! It has full service records, with only 38k on the clock. It does need a little attention, but nothing major. Fork seals, front brake pads, fluid flush, and some basic elbow grease. It also came with a Unigo touring trailer (new tire included), and just had a major service at the dealer. $2900 seems like a good deal to me. Any thoughts? I'm going to be listing the trailer, hitch and wiring harness in Marketplace, just not my style.

Price sounds very good to me. Trailer is worth a good amount I'd think.
    02 R1150R ABS, 04 R1150R, 04 R1100S BCR, 05 R1100S BCR, 16 S1000XR

Left Coast Rider
    If the bike still has rubber brake lines you may want to change those RIGHT NOW before they rupture/fail.

Spiegler braided steel brake lines are an excellent choice for replacement.

Just started rounding up parts, and that was #1 on my list. Have a few other things ordered that were broken or missing. This is the fun part for me, tinkering.

Quote Originally Posted by boiserider63 View Post
    Just started rounding up parts, and that was #1 on my list. Have a few other things ordered that were broken or missing. This is the fun part for me, tinkering.
    Congrats on your purchase. Sounds like a great deal. Do you have any photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Der Bimmer ist wunderbar."

Tango Alpha
    2002 R1150RT