Thread: 2020 R1250R Air Filter

2020 R1250R Air Filter

I live in a dry and very dusty area, Lubbock, TX, and decided to change the air filter at 7Kmi. The owner's manual made it look simple enough, but I found that the side panels would not separate adequately to remove the center panel. Am I nuts, or did I just remove and replace 29 screws just to replace the air filter? The OEM filter was still useable for a few more Kmi, but it has been so dry and the blowing dirt so fine that I wanted to replace it with a K&N so, worth it. Thoughts or opinions anyone?

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    The old joke is that BMW took an air filter and designed the bike around it. The K1200LT is a prime example of that btw...
    All kidding aside, access to air filters is better on some bikes than others. On the GSA it is about 9 screws to get to the filter + the 4 on the filter housing itself.
    Of course one of them is a different size screw head for no other reason then to tick off the guy (me) doing the work...Why would Hans and Fritz do that? Well because they can.....
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    Of course one of them is a different size screw head for no other reason then to tick off the guy (me) doing the work...Why would Hans and Fritz do that? Well because they can.....
    I always shake my head needing two different bits to remove certain components. BMW’s way of asking you sure you want to do this… like the deletion question coming up on my computer… Are you SURE you want to delete?
    Steve Henson-Mod Team

No one gets out alive, Live accordingly!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryAlan View Post
    I live in a dry and very dusty area, Lubbock, TX, and decided to change the air filter at 7Kmi. The owner's manual made it look simple enough, but I found that the side panels would not separate adequately to remove the center panel. Am I nuts, or did I just remove and replace 29 screws just to replace the air filter? The OEM filter was still useable for a few more Kmi, but it has been so dry and the blowing dirt so fine that I wanted to replace it with a K&N so, worth it. Thoughts or opinions anyone?
    Welcome to the forum!
    A couple of years, considering the riding environment, a change out is probably worth it. One of the things you also get is the opportunity to see if a critter has been in snacking or making a house out of the air box.
    Not sure on the K&N so you have to choose that on your own. Probably good to have a vacuum cleaner with a brush handy to clean your way in and on your way out.
    If everything looks good, it will give you a reference point for the next length of time/mileage.
    Good luck.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200