• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Metzeler sidewall lengthy warning label

Mother Nature used to be the final arbiter in human stupidity. We're so naive as a species that we (lawyers, etc.) have taken it upon themselves to be Mother Nature. :(

I think the bigger problem are the companies that figure it's less expensive to settle before going to court. IMO, this encourages some to sue, then take whatever the settlement is since it's better than nothing.
Also a settlement keeps the issue out of the public record, so there's no need to address the actual issue causing harm. A dozen suits settled out of court, with none of the plaintiffs knowing the other cases even exist, puts much less pressure on a corporation than a class-action suit.

Kbasa, wbrownell9,

You both make valid points, but I think you missed my point—probably due to my short response. Yes, costs go up significantly if a case goes to trial. And, yes a class action suit puts greater pressure on companies, when there is actual harm. However, my point was about frivolous lawsuits, which are settled out of court. I think many companies settle frivolous lawsuits because it’s the less expensive option rather than fight them in court. The plaintiffs know they’re not going to win, so they take what they can in a settlement. However, this only encourages more frivolous lawsuits, IMO.

Back