Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Major screw up!

"Hard to find in the USA" is a ridiculous statement. Go to BMW dealer. Online order from BMW dealer.

It's good to know as an owner of a German vehicle in the USA that stores like Pep Boys, NAPA, etc., do not exist in Germany. More importantly, the designers of German vehicles do not spend a nanosecond considering whether an owner of the vehicle they design lives in the USA and wants to shop at a local auto parts dime store. For the amateur lawyers ... this is NOT a right to repair issue.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    "Hard to find in the USA" is a ridiculous statement. Go to BMW dealer. Online order from BMW dealer.

It's good to know as an owner of a German vehicle in the USA that stores like Pep Boys, NAPA, etc., do not exist in Germany. More importantly, the designers of German vehicles do not spend a nanosecond considering whether an owner of the vehicle they design lives in the USA and wants to shop at a local auto parts dime store. For the amateur lawyers ... this is NOT a right to repair issue.
    There is no reason to buy the BMW branded clutch fluid, as long as fluid meets the specs, similar to oil, if it meets the specs, no need to buy BMW oil. Mobil previously made BMW oil and I believe Shell now makes it. BMW doesn't make clutch fluid, I understand Castrol makes it. BMW makes motorcycles and doesn't produce oils, or fluids used in them. Techron is a well known fuel injector cleaner and it is rebranded as GM injector cleaner as well as other auto manufacturers. For any fluids you just need to make sure that it meets or exceeds the specifications required by the manufacturer and buy the brand available to you. Oil is similar (opens bag of worms!) SAE/API/ILSAC/JASO are all companies that certify an oil meets a specification, vehicle manufacturers don't produce these, oil and chemical companies do. If it meets the spec, brand is more a matter of preference or maybe trust in a certain company. If it meets the specifications required for your vehicle, you can use it regardless of brand.
    M. Novack
    2010 BMW R1200RT
    2014 BMW C650GT (sold)
    MOA # 208387

Quote Originally Posted by bicyclenut View Post
    There is no reason to buy the BMW branded clutch fluid, as long as fluid meets the specs, similar to oil, if it meets the specs, no need to buy BMW oil. Mobil previously made BMW oil and I believe Shell now makes it. BMW doesn't make clutch fluid, I understand Castrol makes it. BMW makes motorcycles and doesn't produce oils, or fluids used in them. Techron is a well known fuel injector cleaner and it is rebranded as GM injector cleaner as well as other auto manufacturers. For any fluids you just need to make sure that it meets or exceeds the specifications required by the manufacturer and buy the brand available to you. Oil is similar (opens bag of worms!) SAE/API/ILSAC/JASO are all companies that certify an oil meets a specification, vehicle manufacturers don't produce these, oil and chemical companies do. If it meets the spec, brand is more a matter of preference or maybe trust in a certain company. If it meets the specifications required for your vehicle, you can use it regardless of brand.
    Well said.

E.

Left Coast Rider
    Just for the record, KTM also uses mineral oil in their clutch systems. The KTM dealer near me stocks small bottles of Motorex mineral oil.

Cycle Gear also sells the Magura Blood ($10.90/100 mL) and the Blue Blood ($11.95/100 mL); there's probably one near you, and if there isn't, they'll ship it to you.
    Odd side note - their website says it's not available at my local store (Lomita CA), but I know for a fact that they do have it in stock.

beener boneyard is where I got mine, 9.95 blue blood.

Rod