• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Major screw up!

speedfreakk08

I am new to my 09 GS, as in just brought it home Friday. I;m going over the bike and realize the clutch reservoir looks a little low(You know where this is going) so I top off with some dot4 brake fluid. Go for a 2-3 mile ride and come home before I realized what I had done. I'm so pissed at myself. Before I can get to the dealer to flush it and hopefully correct it, what can I do in the immediate. I dont have any mineral oil V10 lying around either. Will 2tables spoons worth ruin the system? I feel pretty stupid for sure.

Thanks,
Scott

I would use a syringe something to remove all the fluid you can from the reservoir and fill with a proper mineral oil before I tried to use it again or see if you can flush it out with the proper mineral oil. It seems hard to find the BMW fluid but I did a lot of research and it seems Magura Blue Blood is compatible but there is also indications that the disc brake fluid used in BICYCLE Disc brakes will work as they use a mineral oil and not a brake fluid. It can be purchased on Amazon for same day or next day delivery. Some confusion about the blue vs red and it seems later model bikes recommend the red and older bikes like yours 2009 and mine 2010 use the blue. Both seem to be a similar compatible mineral oil, but some indicate red was upgrade to blue but little info to specs online. I used the Magura Royal Blue Blood in my 2010. Also, it has been recommended by various sources to keep the fluid between MIN and MAX and not topped off to full as it does not allow some air space and as the clutch wears the fluid level will actually go up.

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/magminoil.html

Last edited:
Scott -

Welcome to the forum! So you put DOT 4 into the reservoir...what is supposed to be used? I know that basically DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are essentially the same just different boiling points. DOT 5 is a different animal altogether...it's silicone based.

From the other post, sounds like regular mineral oil is supposed to be used.

Scott -

Welcome to the forum! So you put DOT 4 into the reservoir...what is supposed to be used? I know that basically DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are essentially the same just different boiling points. DOT 5 is a different animal altogether...it's silicone based.

Unlike brake fluid you don't have to worry about the boiling point of what's in the clutch circuit.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Clutch uses a mineral oil not same as brake fluid. BMW called for BMW Vitamol V10 or Castrol Vitamol V10 but seems hard to find in USA. They are not compatible and do not mix with brake fluid, will damage the rubber components of the system. I saw one guy said used baby oil, just mineral oil with a scent, not my recommendation. Magura appears to make clutch systems for motorsports and has fluids designed for this. Also,brake fluid is hygroscopic, so it absorbs water and moisture over time, mineral oil is not, reason why there is a maintenance interval to change brake fluid about every 2 years and none for clutch fluid.

IMG_0463.jpg

Scott -

I just asked because I don't own one of the bikes...wanted to get the info on the forum!!

The big issue is that seals designed to work with mineral oil may be destroyed with DOT4 and vice versa. Get a syringe and get all of the fluid out of the reservoir. With luck it hasn't made it to the slave cylinder.

I would then disconnect the hose at the master cylinder and allow it to drain back into a can or something by gravity. This is to prevent the DOT 4 reaching the slave cylinder.

Then thoroughly clean the master cylinder using mineral oil. Then reassemble and add fluid and bleed the system.

Use a syringe or small hose to siphon out the contents of the clutch side reservoir. Replace with a mineral oil based fluid recommended for use. A bicycle shop should have Magura Blue Royal Blood on the shelf. This is for the clutch system on all Hexheads and Camheads.

IMG_2327.jpg

brake fluid softens and swells the rubber. It can stick, either engaged or disengaged. It will wear quicker. The effect is only partially reversible.

Get it out as soon as possible . All out. You can use mineral oil to flush with rather than the expensive Magura blood. Then a couple of flushes with the correct stuff. If you have any leaks or sticking then you need to replace expensive components. sorry.

Replacing the entire brake system on a car after motor oil contamination is so expensive that often the car is totaled.

Rod

Screw up

Until my Magura arrives( tomorrow I hope) I desperately want to flush out that 2 tablespoons of brake fluid I dumped in clutch master cylinder, so in my desperation, I went to local Walgreens and purchased baby oil Mineral oil)with scented aloe. As soon as I get home from work, I will flush to at least get a contaminated mineral oil that’s been sitting there for 2 1/2 days. Then will dpi it again a few times with Magura and hope for the best.

Reverse flush

I would get all the fluid out of the reservoir that you can and then reverse flush the system by adding oil thru the slave bleed hose. This should drive all the fluid up and out instead of thru the line and slave cylinder. A large syringe, piece of tubing and a 10 mm bleeder screw should do the job. I usually reverse bleed when replacing a slave cylinder so that I can purge air out cylinder and lines.

I would get all the fluid out of the reservoir that you can and then reverse flush the system by adding oil thru the slave bleed hose. This should drive all the fluid up and out instead of thru the line and slave cylinder. A large syringe, piece of tubing and a 10 mm bleeder screw should do the job. I usually reverse bleed when replacing a slave cylinder so that I can purge air out cylinder and lines.

I reverse flushed 2 bottles of Magura through it and all is good.

"Hard to find in the USA" is a ridiculous statement. Go to BMW dealer. Online order from BMW dealer.

It's good to know as an owner of a German vehicle in the USA that stores like Pep Boys, NAPA, etc., do not exist in Germany. More importantly, the designers of German vehicles do not spend a nanosecond considering whether an owner of the vehicle they design lives in the USA and wants to shop at a local auto parts dime store. For the amateur lawyers ... this is NOT a right to repair issue.

"Hard to find in the USA" is a ridiculous statement. Go to BMW dealer. Online order from BMW dealer.

It's good to know as an owner of a German vehicle in the USA that stores like Pep Boys, NAPA, etc., do not exist in Germany. More importantly, the designers of German vehicles do not spend a nanosecond considering whether an owner of the vehicle they design lives in the USA and wants to shop at a local auto parts dime store. For the amateur lawyers ... this is NOT a right to repair issue.

There is no reason to buy the BMW branded clutch fluid, as long as fluid meets the specs, similar to oil, if it meets the specs, no need to buy BMW oil. Mobil previously made BMW oil and I believe Shell now makes it. BMW doesn't make clutch fluid, I understand Castrol makes it. BMW makes motorcycles and doesn't produce oils, or fluids used in them. Techron is a well known fuel injector cleaner and it is rebranded as GM injector cleaner as well as other auto manufacturers. For any fluids you just need to make sure that it meets or exceeds the specifications required by the manufacturer and buy the brand available to you. Oil is similar (opens bag of worms!) SAE/API/ILSAC/JASO are all companies that certify an oil meets a specification, vehicle manufacturers don't produce these, oil and chemical companies do. If it meets the spec, brand is more a matter of preference or maybe trust in a certain company. If it meets the specifications required for your vehicle, you can use it regardless of brand.

There is no reason to buy the BMW branded clutch fluid, as long as fluid meets the specs, similar to oil, if it meets the specs, no need to buy BMW oil. Mobil previously made BMW oil and I believe Shell now makes it. BMW doesn't make clutch fluid, I understand Castrol makes it. BMW makes motorcycles and doesn't produce oils, or fluids used in them. Techron is a well known fuel injector cleaner and it is rebranded as GM injector cleaner as well as other auto manufacturers. For any fluids you just need to make sure that it meets or exceeds the specifications required by the manufacturer and buy the brand available to you. Oil is similar (opens bag of worms!) SAE/API/ILSAC/JASO are all companies that certify an oil meets a specification, vehicle manufacturers don't produce these, oil and chemical companies do. If it meets the spec, brand is more a matter of preference or maybe trust in a certain company. If it meets the specifications required for your vehicle, you can use it regardless of brand.

Well said. :thumb

E.

Just for the record, KTM also uses mineral oil in their clutch systems. The KTM dealer near me stocks small bottles of Motorex mineral oil.

Cycle Gear also sells the Magura Blood ($10.90/100 mL) and the Blue Blood ($11.95/100 mL); there's probably one near you, and if there isn't, they'll ship it to you.
Odd side note - their website says it's not available at my local store (Lomita CA), but I know for a fact that they do have it in stock.

Back