Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Major screw up!

Major screw up!

I am new to my 09 GS, as in just brought it home Friday. I;m going over the bike and realize the clutch reservoir looks a little low(You know where this is going) so I top off with some dot4 brake fluid. Go for a 2-3 mile ride and come home before I realized what I had done. I'm so pissed at myself. Before I can get to the dealer to flush it and hopefully correct it, what can I do in the immediate. I dont have any mineral oil V10 lying around either. Will 2tables spoons worth ruin the system? I feel pretty stupid for sure.

Thanks,
    Scott

I would use a syringe something to remove all the fluid you can from the reservoir and fill with a proper mineral oil before I tried to use it again or see if you can flush it out with the proper mineral oil. It seems hard to find the BMW fluid but I did a lot of research and it seems Magura Blue Blood is compatible but there is also indications that the disc brake fluid used in BICYCLE Disc brakes will work as they use a mineral oil and not a brake fluid. It can be purchased on Amazon for same day or next day delivery. Some confusion about the blue vs red and it seems later model bikes recommend the red and older bikes like yours 2009 and mine 2010 use the blue. Both seem to be a similar compatible mineral oil, but some indicate red was upgrade to blue but little info to specs online. I used the Magura Royal Blue Blood in my 2010. Also, it has been recommended by various sources to keep the fluid between MIN and MAX and not topped off to full as it does not allow some air space and as the clutch wears the fluid level will actually go up.

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/magminoil.html
    Last edited by bicyclenut; 08-15-2022 at 02:13 AM.
    M. Novack
    2010 BMW R1200RT
    2014 BMW C650GT (sold)
    MOA # 208387

Scott -

Welcome to the forum! So you put DOT 4 into the reservoir...what is supposed to be used? I know that basically DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are essentially the same just different boiling points. DOT 5 is a different animal altogether...it's silicone based.

From the other post, sounds like regular mineral oil is supposed to be used.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Scott -

Welcome to the forum! So you put DOT 4 into the reservoir...what is supposed to be used? I know that basically DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are essentially the same just different boiling points. DOT 5 is a different animal altogether...it's silicone based.

Unlike brake fluid you don't have to worry about the boiling point of what's in the clutch circuit.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Clutch uses a mineral oil not same as brake fluid. BMW called for BMW Vitamol V10 or Castrol Vitamol V10 but seems hard to find in USA. They are not compatible and do not mix with brake fluid, will damage the rubber components of the system. I saw one guy said used baby oil, just mineral oil with a scent, not my recommendation. Magura appears to make clutch systems for motorsports and has fluids designed for this. Also,brake fluid is hygroscopic, so it absorbs water and moisture over time, mineral oil is not, reason why there is a maintenance interval to change brake fluid about every 2 years and none for clutch fluid.

IMG_0463.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Scott -

M. Novack
    2010 BMW R1200RT
    2014 BMW C650GT (sold)
    MOA # 208387

I just asked because I don't own one of the bikes...wanted to get the info on the forum!!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

The big issue is that seals designed to work with mineral oil may be destroyed with DOT4 and vice versa. Get a syringe and get all of the fluid out of the reservoir. With luck it hasn't made it to the slave cylinder.

I would then disconnect the hose at the master cylinder and allow it to drain back into a can or something by gravity. This is to prevent the DOT 4 reaching the slave cylinder.

Then thoroughly clean the master cylinder using mineral oil. Then reassemble and add fluid and bleed the system.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Use a syringe or small hose to siphon out the contents of the clutch side reservoir. Replace with a mineral oil based fluid recommended for use. A bicycle shop should have Magura Blue Royal Blood on the shelf. This is for the clutch system on all Hexheads and Camheads.

IMG_2327.jpg
    Dave

R1200RT
    NC700X, GL1800

I would flush it with new mineral oil as quickly as possible.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

brake fluid softens and swells the rubber. It can stick, either engaged or disengaged. It will wear quicker. The effect is only partially reversible.

Get it out as soon as possible . All out. You can use mineral oil to flush with rather than the expensive Magura blood. Then a couple of flushes with the correct stuff. If you have any leaks or sticking then you need to replace expensive components. sorry.

Replacing the entire brake system on a car after motor oil contamination is so expensive that often the car is totaled.

Rod

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Interesting read on the subject-

https://epicbleedsolutions.com/blogs...vs-mineral-oil

Not sure if 2 tablespoons is dire or not.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Screw up

Until my Magura arrives( tomorrow I hope) I desperately want to flush out that 2 tablespoons of brake fluid I dumped in clutch master cylinder, so in my desperation, I went to local Walgreens and purchased baby oil Mineral oil)with scented aloe. As soon as I get home from work, I will flush to at least get a contaminated mineral oil thatís been sitting there for 2 1/2 days. Then will dpi it again a few times with Magura and hope for the best.

Reverse flush

I would get all the fluid out of the reservoir that you can and then reverse flush the system by adding oil thru the slave bleed hose. This should drive all the fluid up and out instead of thru the line and slave cylinder. A large syringe, piece of tubing and a 10 mm bleeder screw should do the job. I usually reverse bleed when replacing a slave cylinder so that I can purge air out cylinder and lines.
    Chuck Swenson
    MOA # 9162
    2010 R1200RT, 2003 F650cs (BMW #12 & 13)

Quote Originally Posted by beemerchuck View Post
    I would get all the fluid out of the reservoir that you can and then reverse flush the system by adding oil thru the slave bleed hose. This should drive all the fluid up and out instead of thru the line and slave cylinder. A large syringe, piece of tubing and a 10 mm bleeder screw should do the job. I usually reverse bleed when replacing a slave cylinder so that I can purge air out cylinder and lines.

I reverse flushed 2 bottles of Magura through it and all is good.

Flushed system 3 times with Magura blue hydraulic mineral oil. All is well.
    Last edited by speedfreakk08; 08-22-2022 at 02:49 AM.