• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

No Start-2015 RT

kbnesbitt

This is probably going to end up being something I should know, but here goes...

I went to take my RT for a ride today, after a couple of weeks where I was unable/unwilling to ride (high temps/humidity). The bike turned over on the starter, but a bit slow at first. The next time I turned it over, it spun a bit faster, but didn't fire. Had the same issue when I tried it again. I took the battery out and put it on charge, but is there any other ideas for what is causing this starting issue? Thanks in advance!

Had the battery on charge for six hours, and reinstalled it in the bike. Fired up on the first try. I've never experienced this problem before; even on the day my old battery failed in mid-ride, it still managed to start.

A battery that is low can cause a number of odd things. For example, if the battery is low, engaging the starter can pull down the voltage further and not allowing the computer to “see” the minimum voltage needed to start which is usually around 9.2 volts.
A lot is expected of these relatively small batteries.
OM

FWIW I keep both my bikes always connected to Battery Tender Juniors when not riding them. So far so good.

Back