• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

‘07 1200GS — need opinions

Clutch went out last week, and springs have needed replacement for sometime. 53K miles on the bike. I’m quite happy with it, and don’t lust for the bells and whistles of a water head. Not mechanically inclined, so will go to dealer for repairs. Guessing the bill will be $2,500 - $3,500, incl parts and labor. Am I crazy for putting that much into a 15 yr old bike? Thanks for weighing in.

That's a lot of money for sure, but I wouldn't worry about putting the money into a nice bike like that.

One thing I've learned recently (I'm also, unfortunately, not mechanically inclined) is if you can find someone who works on bikes like yours and knows what they are doing a lot of money can be saved by avoiding the dealer.

SPP

Clutch went out last week, and springs have needed replacement for sometime. 53K miles on the bike. I’m quite happy with it, and don’t lust for the bells and whistles of a water head. Not mechanically inclined, so will go to dealer for repairs. Guessing the bill will be $2,500 - $3,500, incl parts and labor. Am I crazy for putting that much into a 15 yr old bike? Thanks for weighing in.

IF you fixed it, how much longer would you continue to ride it? How much a month does that make the $3,500 repair cost? Could you get another bike known to be in as good of condition as yours (after the repairs) for that money, and if not (I'm thinking not) how much more would you have to spend to get such a bike?

That's how I sort out decisions like this - I figure how long to "ride out the cost" against how much I would have to pay for a suitable replacement. The bike I have almost always wins, if it's one I really like.

Yeah, 15 years does make it kind of an older bike. But for me, I would be looking at other considerations. What's the condition of the rest of the bike? If the bike's in good shape not needing anything, then spending the money sounds like a more reasonable option. However, if the bike's a bit ragged and needs other repairs, it may not be the option. I tend to categorize maintenance repairs in three main categories.

1. routine maintenance (e.g. oil changes, annual service, etc.)
2. wear and tear items (tires, brakes, clutch, etc.)
3. repairs (everything else).

A clutch is a wear and tear time that requires replacement and does not necessary indicate a problem with the bike. I typically don't question spending the money to replace wear and tear items. I really start questioning things when the repair bills start adding up. Plus, if you buy a used bike, you will probably have to spend some money to get it up to snuff-so to speak. So, my thought is that if the bike still puts a smile on your face and does not require any other significant repairs, then I would replace the clutch. If the bike needs other repairs, then it's balancing the costs to fix your bike vs getting a new one (or new to you).

People have spent a lot more than $2,500 - $3,500 on whatever their hobby may be--especially those who own older vehicles, boats, planes, etc.

Just my $.02 here but I would definitely seek out an independent wrench turner. Will save you lots of $$$$$.

Have you reached out to anyone on this forum for suggested mechanics?

Good luck to you.

I had a problem with my 2005 this May, on a trip to Oklahoma, called the dealer and they said they only work bikes less than 10 years old.

Back