• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacing small front "marker light" on 2011 R1200RT

srmRT

The RH little marker light/parking light in the upper part of the fairing is non-functioning and needs replaced prior to the bike passing a DOT inspection, according to my dealer. She (the service manager is female--and highly qualified!) says it will take about 45 minutes to replace, which obviously involves removing body panels.

I have had most of the side/top body work off of the bike, and some of the front panels, and am not averse to removing some to get to this light, although it is not my favorite endeavor.

Is there a "best way" to access this light, e.g. starting from the front or the rear? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve in Virginia.

There's a thread in the Similar Threads pane below for an '07 RT...maybe there's some info there?

I have a 2010 so same method. It doesn't require more than removing one bolt and the turn signal lens. Page 127 of owners manual but the instructions and diagram are a bit confusing. Remove the turn signal lens that can be done by loosening the torx bolt T-25 that is accessed above the side mirror. This is only bolt that holds this in place. Once you have this out of way you can reach in and remove the socket by twisting it out and replacing bulb. On my 2010 the right side is harder than left due to antenna wiring and some other wires on that side. Takes a bit of working with your hand in this area and looking through lens, and a long nose pliers to help pull it out to where you can get to socket to swap bulb. I made a quick, crude video of how I've replaced mine, just did it after I read your post so sorry if the production value is subpar, but trying to help you get the idea of how to do it.

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

Of course the photo they have in manual has the headlamp assembly out of bike which is not necessary to replace this bulb. It does take a bit of working around with your hands and as I've said in last post, a long needle nose pliers helps you grab the socket once you have it twisted out of the socket to pull it out where you can see it and replace bulb. I don't have small hands and I was able to do all this in about 3 minutes. May take a bit more first time as a bit of blind working around in this spot with limited space, similar to replacing some car bulbs but can be done without removal of more than turn signal assembly.

manual directions.jpg

Thanks drneo66,

That helps just to see a better view of what it looks like--when you CAN"T see what it looks like!!

Thanks Mark,

I think I can do that without breaking too much stuff. Your info sure helps! Thanks again.

Steve

Slight Tangent... Interesting, I had replaced the front "parking light" in my 1150RT with one of those 194-type LEDs that have those multiple square emitters... One by one they died, fairly quickly. Maybe this is a heads-up not to buy that type of arrangement? I now use a single-dome type LED there, and it's lasted for about two years now and still shows full brightness.

Slight Tangent... Interesting, I had replaced the front "parking light" in my 1150RT with one of those 194-type LEDs that have those multiple square emitters... One by one they died, fairly quickly. Maybe this is a heads-up not to buy that type of arrangement? I now use a single-dome type LED there, and it's lasted for about two years now and still shows full brightness.

It might be the quality of the LED's or just random failures as I replaced my parking lamps with the multi-square LED bulbs 3 years ago and they are both still working full power. I also replace front and rear turn signals with multi-square emitters at the same time and one started to fail with some of emitters not working and a fast flash just in last couple weeks, again after 3 years. So 1 of 6 of these type bulbs failed in 3 years. Dynamic Motorrad, the supplier agreed to replace this bulb for free as it has a lifetime warranty. My only remaining non-LED bulbs, the rear lights/brake lights that can't be replaced with LED due to the bulb used or they throw a CANBUS error and I have had to replace both of these in 3 years. From what some of the suppliers will tell you, it is all about the quality of the bulbs and emitters as to how long they last and their quality. I think there was a podcast on ADV Radio that there was a discussion with owner of Cyclops lighting who discussed the difference in quality between different LED lights and components used so sometimes its not just what you see on the surface but the parts used that make one LED better than another. This is just speaking of LED quality and longevity. Many other factors to consider like beam pattern, heat generation, energy consumption and brightness and I am no expert in this.

My failed 194 LED came from either O'Reilly's (maybe a Sylvania) or AutoZone (Zevo?), not from one of the M/C LED suppliers. That may have had something to do with it...!

This procedure is covered in your owners manual and your toolkit came with a tool specifically intended for this process.

This procedure is covered in your owners manual and your toolkit came with a tool specifically intended for this process.

Thanks Kent,

Sorry for not responding to your help sooner, but I had put that task aside until now, and I will certainly RTFM and look in the tool kit!!

Thanks again!!

Steve

Back