• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Interesting legislation from Massachusetts on gas/diesel/electric vehicles

My 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 (Limited model) will charge from 20% to 80% in 18 minutes at Electrify America DC 350 kW fast chargers. In the EV world, the key element is "Miles per kWH." In 3500 miles I've averaged 3.5 miles/kWH. With a 78 WH battery in my car I could get pretty far away from south Jersey using much of that potential. Before leaving, I could use an app called "A Better Route Planner" (See: https://abetterrouteplanner.com) to plot my route to the high-speed chargers which my Ioniq 5 can use.

These are times just beyond the early days. Battery technology is going to become more sophisticated, and vehicle efficiency will too.

PS - my Ioniq 5 will go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds...very useful for merging onto I-295 and the NJ Turnpike!

My 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 (Limited model) will charge from 20% to 80% in 18 minutes at Electrify America DC 350 kW fast chargers. In the EV world, the key element is "Miles per kWH." In 3500 miles I've averaged 3.5 miles/kWH. With a 78 WH battery in my car I could get pretty far away from south Jersey using much of that potential. Before leaving, I could use an app called "A Better Route Planner" (See: https://abetterrouteplanner.com) to plot my route to the high-speed chargers which my Ioniq 5 can use.

These are times just beyond the early days. Battery technology is going to become more sophisticated, and vehicle efficiency will too.

PS - my Ioniq 5 will go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds...very useful for merging onto I-295 and the NJ Turnpike!

Those Ioniqs are way cool, man. Car and Driver’s EV of the year this year. There are 6 EVs on my street of a dozen homes. 4 get fueled off the roof, which also feeds storage. Grid instability and fuel price fluctuations are not things they worry about affecting their lives.

A point to make: plug-in hybrids are also included in California's proposed requirements.

My Prius Prime plug-in hybrid at 5+ years averages 96.6 mpg. I charge it at home. There are no range restrictions since it also has a 1.8-liter ICE.

So you won't have to go full EV.

“ California residents are being asked not to charge their electric vehicles to conserve energy amid a brutal heatwave — just days after the state announced a plan to ban sales of new gas-powered cars by 2035.

The plea comes as the Golden State sizzles in triple-digit temperatures, but the irony of the appeal was not lost on critics of the ambitious plan, expected to set the pace for a national and international shift to electric vehicles.

US House Republican Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) derided the about-face as a “joke.”

The California Independent System Operator, which runs the state’s power grid, issued multiple bulletins this week warning of “extreme heat” during the Labor Day weekend that is “likely to strain the grid with increased energy demands.”

The grid operator was asking residents to voluntarily reduce their power consumption by avoiding using large appliances and charging electric vehicles” during peak usage hours of 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.“

https://nypost.com/2022/09/01/californians-asked-not-to-charge-electric-cars-amid-heat-wave/
Maybe Kaliphornia will decide to tackle this problem with more hydroelectric power? :scratch
OM

Aren't they working on plans to fuel cars with unicorn tears?

Actually, out of 12 houses on my street here in the suburbs, 4 have solar, storage and are fueling their cars off their roof.

It’s getting to be so cheap to make your own power that you’d be foolish not to. Those neighbors on my street absolutely don’t care about gas prices or electricity prices.

That’s how we’re powering EVs in my neighborhood. 3 other homes are making power and 2 are storing their own power and aren’t grid tied. For those keeping score: more than half the homes on my street have found it financially advantageous to go solar. 25% of the homes on my suburban street are driving an EV as their daily.

I can’t understand the lack of vision on this forum. Are people thinking this is impossible? It already makes financial sense for wide swaths of Americans.

We’re in a transitional stage, kind of like when Smartphones appeared and a whole bunch of folks wrinkled their noses and wondered “why anyone would need all that to make call”.

It’s coming.

... here in the suburbs, .. on my street absolutely don’t care about gas prices or electricity prices... my neighborhood... on my street .. on my suburban street

It’s coming.

amusing that the most electrically pampered era in the History of History are also being cultivated to loath practical electrical generation at scale.

Last edited:
I can’t understand the lack of vision on this forum. Are people thinking this is impossible? It already makes financial sense for wide swaths of Americans.

It’s coming.

Some are dead against it because their political idols and their TV idols tell them to be.
Some have read negative articles just a couple of years ago that may not be true today and certainly won’t be in a decade.
I find it humorous to hear people here saying EVs are not for them because of whatever reason, range, charging, whatever, but these same people keep several different motorcycles in their garage, one for touring, one for local rides, one they just can’t part with….

And, there is no ban date on ICE vehicles, at least here in the U.S. All the dates you hear, whether 2030 or 2035 are goals to have 40%, 50%, or 75% of vehicle sales be EVs. Even California’s proposed ban in the future on sales of new EVs, doesn’t ban someone’s ICE vehicle. California’s proposal allows you to still own, drive, and even resell your ICE vehicle within California. You can even buy a brand new ICE vehicle from another state and drive it in California.

Hi Mod Team. Warms me to know we are permitting political aspersions now, cos the word "political" sure seems to be political,
even if used non-politicly ie as an shallow yet trendy insult...

but fistr; what is this TV thing I hear of ? oh yeah the PROGRAMMING device dark & silent lingering in the corner.
reminds me to dust that off some year soon.

I do check other screens for the latest from some State Legislature or another to mandate into existence a new element, or even a energy-denser battery,
but not hoarding my personal CO2 until then. May be we'll have even more Legislatures to heed , when the vast stretches of had-it citizenry happily outside the 15 Minute City hive succeed in seceding!

.. But then again, there are some people who actually went into their particular engineering discipline BECAUSE of lure of photovoltaics,
but after becoming educated in the State of the Art & fundamental limitations of Physics (both known & reached long ago).
plus a little Economics & Natural History along the way, and even some Humanities enlightening on the age old tendency to posture for self aggrandizement, profit & control,

I in time realized that fossil sources are a Fact of Life, and not a bad one at that; energy dense, easily transportable , quite plentiful despite the hype and more discovered all the time ( whatever happen to that Peak anyway ? oh yeah, useful tech found magnitudes more) , and bureaucratic interference aside, quite affordable even for the great Masses of impoverished " one hour of electric light per week" societies , which so many of the Many-Many-Kilowatts-per-Day consumers are happy to mandate.. .
for others , that is.

And who knew ?...

with FFuel use restoring previously common levels of vital CO2 to the atmosphere which had, geologically speaking, v.recently reached ~slightly~ over extinction levels, a procession imposed on the planet by (undersea shell life) sequestration (and no I'm not suggesting SAVE THE PLANET! BAN CORAL! even though Limestone WILL be the Death of Life, barring some Philosophy or another beats it to the KO punch)

...before Man fortuitously& wisely turned from human /animal labor to chemical energy.
Since CO2 (ok, sunlight & water too) is the BASIS of life after all.

I giddily await any bureaupathic [sic] alternatives ...

the brutal fact of Unreliables; the more Intermittent capacity added to the system, the MORE conventional generation - expensively idle & on wasteful standby- is required for surge coverage, notably to charge those Green Cars when the sun disappears ( nightly assuming my info is correct, although for weeks at times)
and the wind dont blow. That EV is coal powered and will be ad nauseaum . Off siting emissions is still emissions.

I have not asked why but in my suburb of a suburb of a burb, I noticed more roof panels coming off then going up.
They seem to be such good people too, based on the meaningless mantra yard signs

Take a step back. I wasn’t insulting you or anyone else. But if you have a guilty conscience……

gtgt -

It is obvious you have not read the posting guidelines. Personal attacks and demeaning statements about other members will not be tolerated. Please do not do that again. Future violations of the posting guidelines will result in an infraction. Infractions will result in time off from the forum and potentially banning from the forum.

Let's get back to sharing information but not doing so at the expense of others. Thanks.

Back