• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Seeking help with rear brake caliper

alke46

Working on a newly purchased 2001 R1100RL that had sat for 6 years. The brake fluid in the front reservoir resembled motor oil in color.

I have the brakes completely disassembled for cleaning stuck pistons and also replacing all lines with stainless steel braided ones.

I ran into a problem when reinstalling the thrust spring as it has two tangs that hold it in place and one of the tangs broke off while trying to put it back into the caliper.

I contacted the local dealership and they can not find a spring in their parts fiche that resembles the one I need and I have been looking for hours online trying also.

So I decided to add some pictures of the caliper and the spring to see if anyone else has dealt with this problem and if so, what should I do to fix it?

Thanks in advance

this 1st pic shows the springs width at 25mm

IMG_20220812_104039453 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

this one is the length at 35mm
IMG_20220812_104120272 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

broken tang
IMG_20220812_104200994 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

how it sits in the caliper
IMG_20220812_104200994 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

and finally, the caliper, maybe you can see where the two tangs go. I think it is just to hold the brake pads in proper position.
IMG_20220812_104239409 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

One of those didn't turn out right. It is just a duplicate of the previous pic. Here's how it sits in the caliper.
IMG_20220812_104254078 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

Maybe it's something that comes with the pads? I recall for my car, the brake pads/shoes usually have some kind of clip in the package for noise deadening, etc. :dunno

#7 in that diagram? Remember, the fiche diagrams are representational only and shouldn’t be counted upon for size, shape, or assembly position.

Best,
DeVern

My apologies for not getting back to you all.

It was indeed the #12 on Max BMW that shows both thrust springs.

Sorry again for not getting back with my response.

Back