• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'04 K1200GT: brake bleed after new Spiegler brake lines

corey61

Hi All,

I've just ordered a set of Spiegler stainless-steel brake lines for my '04 K1200GT.

Question: Following installation, do I have to perform a flush/bleed on the entire brake system, including the wheel circuits AND the ABS control circuits? Seems to me the answer is yes, but the latter is a fairly involved procedure so I'm looking for confirmation before I launch into it.

Also: If anyone who's done this can alert me to any quirks/tricks/tips regarding installation of the Spieglers on the '03-'04 GT/RS, I'd appreciate it!

Hi All,

I've just ordered a set of Spiegler stainless-steel brake lines for my '04 K1200GT.

Question: Following installation, do I have to perform a flush/bleed on the entire brake system, including the wheel circuits AND the ABS control circuits? Seems to me the answer is yes, but the latter is a fairly involved procedure so I'm looking for confirmation before I launch into it.

Also: If anyone who's done this can alert me to any quirks/tricks/tips regarding installation of the Spieglers on the '03-'04 GT/RS, I'd appreciate it!

Yes, needs a complete flush and bleed. I recommend you order from Spiegler the full set of SpeedBleeders for the K12GT, and that you visit BeemerBoneyard website for the funnel that is needed to do the job quickly and easily.

Connect the lower ends of the hoses first then use a syringe or a child’s medicine dropper/syringe for filling the lines from the top before connecting.

You’ll also need a silicone tubing (BeemerBoneyard) to make the bleed job easier and less messy. BB gives a 10% discount to BMWMOA members—see their admin the MOA News.

Lastly, you’ll need a copy of the bleed instructions that’s posted on the web.

https://www.k-bikes.com/attachments/integral-brake-bleed-copy-pdf.10618/

Take your time and be methodical; it’s not that bad a job.

Best,
DeVern

EDIT: I was mistaken about the silicone tubing being sourced from BB—that was sourced from another vendor, not sure which. BB doesn’t handle the tubing.

Last edited:
Yes, needs a complete flush and bleed. I recommend you order from Spiegler the full set of SpeedBleeders for the K12GT, and that you visit BeemerBoneyard website for the funnel that is needed to do the job quickly and easily.

Connect the lower ends of the hoses first then use a syringe or a child’s medicine dropper/syringe for filling the lines from the top before connecting.

You’ll also need a silicone tubing (BeemerBoneyard) to make the bleed job easier and less messy. BB gives a 10% discount to BMWMOA members—see their admin the MOA News.

Best,
DeVern

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I actually have done the full ABS flush once before, about two years ago. I had carefully studied two write-ups of the procedure and, though it was a bit nerve-wracking, it went pretty smoothly. I did get the funnel and tubing from Beemer Boneyard and a set of SpeedBleeders at that time. In theory, it's time for it again, two years later...

I hadn't thought of filling (priming) the new brake lines with fluid during the install - very nice tip! :thumb

Thanks again,

Corey

Installing those Spiegler brake lines... 'You've Been Warned'

So, the Spiegler brake lines arrived a few days ago and today I took my first look at the package.

Surely, many of you have seen the following statement - or ones very much like it... but this got me to chuckling, so I thought I'd share:

On the package back panel there are a set of abbreviated installation instructions - 8 steps. Step 1 reads as follows:

Brake Components are vehicle safety related items. Brake lines should be installed by a certified motorcycle technician. If you are not a certified motorcycle technician, stop here and contact your local motorcycle service shop.

So, guys... I guess we better icks-nay on our orum-fay ostings-pay...

Cheers, All. :burnout

Best,
DeVern

Just a quick follow-up:

I got the Spiegler lines installed on Tuesday and bled the brake system today. It went pretty smoothly, though I did discover that the procedure by Gary Hollinger couldn't be followed in quite the order he lays out so thoroughly. I tried to do so - i.e., bleeding the wheel circuits first. That didn't work. After some chin stroking, I realized that the hard lines to/from the ABS were filled with air and so the ABS pump wouldn't circulate the fluid. So instead, I bled all the ABS circuits (in order, as per standard procedure) first. While I was at it, I also bled the brake system filler adapter and the clutch filler adapter, per Mr. Hollinger's procedure. Once that was done, I found that the wheel circuits bled just fine, with the ABS pump now pushing fluid through the lines as per usual.

One tip I picked up in preparation was from a YouTube video by Kirk Johnson (YouTube Channel: IllinoisBMWriders). He demo'ed how to leave several fittings loose (one was the downstream end of the newly-installed line leading from the front master cylinder; the other was the banjo bolt on the downstream end of the line from the rear master cylinder)... and then to tap the brake lever and pedal to fill those lines with fluid until fluid could be seen leaking from those loose fittings. Once that occurred, those fittings were tightened and there was less air in the system leading to the ABS pump. I think this really helped reduce the effort required to get fluid into the ABS unit (i.e., to get it 'primed'). Johnson referred to this as a 'pre-bleed.' Good tip.

It took me about 4 hrs total to work through bleeding at all 11 bleed valves (6 on the ABS unit, 2 on the filler adapters, and the 3 wheel calipers). Inevitable hiccups along the way, but all surmountable with general shop techniques. Glad to be done with all of that...

Next item on the maintenance list: coolant flush. All of the standard 24k mi service tasks are completed, and if all goes well I'll start reassembling the components currently off the bike this weekend. That's a week prior to departure on a 16-day September tour... should give me time for a couple test/shakedown rides before loading up and hitting the road, and to fix anything that isn't right.

Cheers,
Corey

Back