Thread: Stugis Rally 2024

Stugis Rally 2024

I want to experience the Sturgis rally at least once. Does anybody have any advice on what area is best to stay in for access to the rally and general goings on?

Quote Originally Posted by superstamper1 View Post
    I want to experience the Sturgis rally at least once. Does anybody have any advice on what area is best to stay in for access to the rally and general goings on?
    Whispering Pines on 385 south of Deadwood used to be a pretty decent place to camp, but itís been a few years since i have been there during Sturgis.

The Guzzi crowd used to camp up near Belle Fourche but again, that was years ago.

Good luck with your Sturgis experience, it is sure to be memorable!
    -Live as fully as you can as long as you can-

Appropriately timed thread. I think 2024 is my year to go and give it a try. I'd ride out from New Hampshire and everyone has said just stay at Buffalo Chip and have a blast but I do actually want to get some sleep at night. I'd like to find something more GS friendly maybe down a few hundred yards of gravel and rocks and camp somewhere to see the starts with less light solution but still be 5-10 minutes from town. Or at last find a place with social element but with the ability to also escape into the woods at night.

will watch this thread and book something for next year pretty soon.
    Social Media, Newsletter, YouTube | BMWMOA Lifetime Member | MOA Board Secretary | MOA Regional Coordinator | Vermont BMW Club Vice President

If you are open to camping close to Sturgis amidst the hustle and bustle, you won't need any sort of reservations for the campgrounds. Assuming you are tenting. I've been there 20+ times and never did make it to Buffalo Chip. It is out of my element, but lots of folks sure gravitate towards the place.

I'd just head that way and find a place to pitch a tent. Trust me, campgrounds are everywhere. My preference was Hog Heaven, located right on the west edge of Sturgis.

You will be welcome most anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    If you are open to camping close to Sturgis amidst the hustle and bustle, you won't need any sort of reservations for the campgrounds. Assuming you are tenting. I've been there 20+ times and never did make it to Buffalo Chip. It is out of my element, but lots of folks sure gravitate towards the place.

I'd just head that way and find a place to pitch a tent. Trust me, campgrounds are everywhere. My preference was Hog Heaven, located right on the west edge of Sturgis.

You will be welcome most anywhere.
    I must be bad at using the Internet. As a planner, I would like a reservation but looking around and I'm seeing a lot of high-dollar campsites. I think buffalo chip is $500 for the week. Cheapest I found for a week was $150 which isn't bad. I was thinking more BLM land use sort of deals. no amenities just a spot you can stay at for 4-5 days so long as you leave no trace but I also didn't want to be an hour from Sturgis either.
    Social Media, Newsletter, YouTube | BMWMOA Lifetime Member | MOA Board Secretary | MOA Regional Coordinator | Vermont BMW Club Vice President

I'm not looking to camp. there will be between 4 and 6 of us (3 couples)

I Stay Here

Quote Originally Posted by superstamper1 View Post
    I have been to Sturgis several times and have usually stayed here at the University. Prices are reasonable compared to hotels. Breakfast available, laundry facilities, dorm rooms with 2 or 4 beds, etc. Bike has always been safe when parked here. Keep in mind no alcohol and some other rules.

https://www.bhsu.edu/about-bhsu/events/sturgis-rally/
    Darrell
    2002 R1150GSA
    2016 R1200RS
    2022 R1250RT

Quote Originally Posted by darrell View Post
    I have been to Sturgis several times and have usually stayed here at the University. Prices are reasonable compared to hotels. Breakfast available, laundry facilities, dorm rooms with 2 or 4 beds, etc. Bike has always been safe when parked here. Keep in mind no alcohol and some other rules.

https://www.bhsu.edu/about-bhsu/events/sturgis-rally/
    Wow, that is very nice, I have never known that was available.

Adam, regarding prices, it's been a few years so I'm not surprised the camping fees are getting that high. Sturgis has become very commercialized (expensive) which is one of the reasons I haven't been there in a while. If you like to hit a beer garden or two I'm betting beers are in the $7 range by now, the last I paid was $5 a beer. That was a few years ago. And the food vendors know what to charge also.

But hey, it's Sturgis. Everyone should go at least once.

Here are the university prices for this year for one week. Not bad for AC and a real bed.

Those are decent rates assuming you are staying for more than a couple days. If I ever go again I may check it out further.

Thanks for posting this.