• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stugis Rally 2024

superstamper1

I want to experience the Sturgis rally at least once. Does anybody have any advice on what area is best to stay in for access to the rally and general goings on?

I want to experience the Sturgis rally at least once. Does anybody have any advice on what area is best to stay in for access to the rally and general goings on?

Whispering Pines on 385 south of Deadwood used to be a pretty decent place to camp, but it’s been a few years since i have been there during Sturgis.

The Guzzi crowd used to camp up near Belle Fourche but again, that was years ago.

Good luck with your Sturgis experience, it is sure to be memorable!

Appropriately timed thread. I think 2024 is my year to go and give it a try. I'd ride out from New Hampshire and everyone has said just stay at Buffalo Chip and have a blast but I do actually want to get some sleep at night. I'd like to find something more GS friendly maybe down a few hundred yards of gravel and rocks and camp somewhere to see the starts with less light solution but still be 5-10 minutes from town. Or at last find a place with social element but with the ability to also escape into the woods at night.

will watch this thread and book something for next year pretty soon.

If you are open to camping close to Sturgis amidst the hustle and bustle, you won't need any sort of reservations for the campgrounds. Assuming you are tenting. I've been there 20+ times and never did make it to Buffalo Chip. It is out of my element, but lots of folks sure gravitate towards the place.

I'd just head that way and find a place to pitch a tent. Trust me, campgrounds are everywhere. My preference was Hog Heaven, located right on the west edge of Sturgis.

You will be welcome most anywhere.

If you are open to camping close to Sturgis amidst the hustle and bustle, you won't need any sort of reservations for the campgrounds. Assuming you are tenting. I've been there 20+ times and never did make it to Buffalo Chip. It is out of my element, but lots of folks sure gravitate towards the place.

I'd just head that way and find a place to pitch a tent. Trust me, campgrounds are everywhere. My preference was Hog Heaven, located right on the west edge of Sturgis.

You will be welcome most anywhere.

I must be bad at using the Internet. As a planner, I would like a reservation but looking around and I'm seeing a lot of high-dollar campsites. I think buffalo chip is $500 for the week. Cheapest I found for a week was $150 which isn't bad. I was thinking more BLM land use sort of deals. no amenities just a spot you can stay at for 4-5 days so long as you leave no trace but I also didn't want to be an hour from Sturgis either.

I Stay Here

I have been to Sturgis several times and have usually stayed here at the University. Prices are reasonable compared to hotels. Breakfast available, laundry facilities, dorm rooms with 2 or 4 beds, etc. Bike has always been safe when parked here. Keep in mind no alcohol and some other rules.

https://www.bhsu.edu/about-bhsu/events/sturgis-rally/

I have been to Sturgis several times and have usually stayed here at the University. Prices are reasonable compared to hotels. Breakfast available, laundry facilities, dorm rooms with 2 or 4 beds, etc. Bike has always been safe when parked here. Keep in mind no alcohol and some other rules.

https://www.bhsu.edu/about-bhsu/events/sturgis-rally/

Wow, that is very nice, I have never known that was available.

Adam, regarding prices, it's been a few years so I'm not surprised the camping fees are getting that high. Sturgis has become very commercialized (expensive) which is one of the reasons I haven't been there in a while. If you like to hit a beer garden or two I'm betting beers are in the $7 range by now, the last I paid was $5 a beer. That was a few years ago. And the food vendors know what to charge also.

But hey, it's Sturgis. Everyone should go at least once.

CAP6qr4.png

Here are the university prices for this year for one week. Not bad for AC and a real bed.

We stay at the Hampton Inn in Keystone. 45 minutes south of Sturgis. 3 nights cost us 580.00 with pool, jacuzzi. Walk to the boardwalk for restaurants, trickets, even Sturgis shirts can be found on the boardwalk.

CAP6qr4.png

Here are the university prices for this year for one week. Not bad for AC and a real bed.

When I was responsible for housing at the University of Alaska Fairbanks I had them dedicate a dorm for housing motorcyclists in the summer. We would get 350-450 riders a year, mostly people headed up the haul road. The housing staff was aghast. They expected to be dealing with Hells Angels and nightly drunken fist fights. They were pleasantly surprised to be dealing older men and women on BMWs and KLRs who were just too dang tired to do anything rowdy. I don’t recall what we charged, but I think a single room was under $40 and double under $50. No air conditioning and bathroom down the hall, but much cheaper than even the seedy motels in town during the summer.

When I was responsible for housing at the University of Alaska Fairbanks I had them dedicate a dorm for housing motorcyclists in the summer. We would get 350-450 riders a year, mostly people headed up the haul road. The housing staff was aghast. They expected to be dealing with Hells Angels and nightly drunken fist fights. They were pleasantly surprised to be dealing older men and women on BMWs and KLRs who were just too dang tired to do anything rowdy. I don’t recall what we charged, but I think a single room was under $40 and double under $50. No air conditioning and bathroom down the hall, but much cheaper than even the seedy motels in town during the summer.

The University was an awesome setup- clean rooms and bathrooms, and quiet! I’m told they are no longer accommodating travelers, an outgrowth of Covid I think, which is too bad as Fairbanks didn’t seem to have a lot of motels and good ones hard to find.

Best,
DeVern

The University was an awesome setup- clean rooms and bathrooms, and quiet! I’m told they are no longer accommodating travelers, an outgrowth of Covid I think, which is too bad as Fairbanks didn’t seem to have a lot of motels and good ones hard to find.

Best,
DeVern

There is no one still working in housing from when I was there, but I heard the same thing.

The Spearfish City Campground is shaded, and quiet, with tables, showers, etc, with grassy sites along Spearfish Creek.

https://www.cityofspearfish.com/ImageRepository/Document?documentID=2868

https://www.cityofspearfish.com/187/Fees#tab897b5fec-abde-4fa5-97ca-c8dd820f4ae6_0

Thanks to you contributing this a couple of years ago, the city campground is on the list of places where riders can meet up along the way to a rally... say, our 2024 rally in Redmond.

Share a meal, drink a few beers, kick some tires and get to know each other before rallying with 6,000 other people.

It's two days to Redmond from here, if you ride Lolo Pass & the Rattlesnake, three days if you ride the Lolo Motorway. ( :evil )

Wouldn't be cool if you could get info like this from your MOA mobile app?

Screen Shot 2023-12-08 at 9.33.24 AM.png

Somewhere along the Lolo Motorway, there's a great campground with enough room for 20 riders, in the middle of nowhere. :)

IMG_2765-X2.jpg

Thanks to you contributing this a couple of years ago, the city campground is on the list of places where riders can meet up along the way to a rally... say, our 2024 rally in Redmond.

Share a meal, drink a few beers, kick some tires and get to know each other before rallying with 6,000 other people.

It's two days to Redmond from here, if you ride Lolo Pass & the Rattlesnake, three days if you ride the Lolo Motorway. ( :evil )

Wouldn't be cool if you could get info like this from your MOA mobile app?

View attachment 93693

Somewhere along the Lolo Motorway, there's a great campground with enough room for 20 riders, in the middle of nowhere. :)

IMG_2765-X2.jpg

There's also a campground on Lolo Pass, right across the street from the hot springs. They have tent sites, but they also have some cabins that are nice when the weather is crummy.

https://www.lolohotsprings.com

You can walk across the street, go for a swim in the hot springs pool, then walk next door for beers and dinner before some campfire time at the tent.

Back