• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2022 RT - Looking for hold down transport straps - need recommendations.

Illiya

Hello All. I would like to find a set of hold down straps that include the hub caps for the rear axle the straps go through. Thank you for your help.

Hello All. I would like to find a set of hold down straps that include the hub caps for the rear axle the straps go through. Thank you for your help.
Seems to me that regular tie-down straps... https://www.protaper.com/product/97/swivel-carabiner-tie-downs/black , work like a charm. At the office now, but if I was at home I could take pics of properly routed straps on my R1250RT. It is very simple to do, but hard to describe - kinda of like written instructions on how to tie your shoes.

edit: How are you going to transport your bike? Pickup truck across town? Trailering it across state lines? Shipping it to Europe for a tour? This may influence how the bike is secured.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your responses. I plan to take my bike on the SS Badger one way across Lake Michigan from Wisconsin to Michigan. The ship requires me to bring hold down straps and this is why I was seeking your advice. I found “Cap tie downs” for the back wheel that fit through the rear axle which I will probably buy. For the front I may use your suggestions and will need to educate myself for proper front strap fastening locations. Regards to all.

I take the Newfoundland ferries fairly regularly and they are both much longer. One is 6 hours and the other is 16 hours. Typically I use the very crappy straps the boat provides as I'm not worried about scratched paint etc. Regular ratchet straps would also work fine. For the Haines/Skagway crossing I used the Mosko Moto cinch straps I was using for my duffel and they worked well too, plenty of strength as they were also designed to be tow straps.

Here you can see my bike on the centre stand with 2 straps
IMG_0550-XL.jpg

Allison's bike behind me has 2 straps on the side stand. You don't need to worry about the back wheel at all.

Here is my bike on the Alaska ferry on the side stand. If you are lashing on the side stand be careful not to crank it down too hard or you risk bending or breaking the stand. I think most often I strap to the side stand and not the centre stand but both options work.
IMG_0058-XL.jpg

Thank you all for your responses. I plan to take my bike on the SS Badger one way across Lake Michigan from Wisconsin to Michigan. The ship requires me to bring hold down straps and this is why I was seeking your advice. I found “Cap tie downs” for the back wheel that fit through the rear axle which I will probably buy. For the front I may use your suggestions and will need to educate myself for proper front strap fastening locations. Regards to all.

Now that you have been a bit more specific on your tie-down concerns, this thread is about ship-board tie-downs-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?97028-Bikes-on-the-S-S-Badger

OM

Back