• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Calling all Canucks regarding motels ?

bogdan

I'm hoping to get on my R1150R and leave for Canada next week. My destination is well know to me, but I haven't been there in years; it's a lake around Barry's Bay Ontario - which is not far from Algonquin Park. I'll cross at Port Huron/Sarnia. I was planning to meander up the edge of Lake Huron on highway 21. I'd have no set itinerary or pace - find a motel wherever I was at the end of day. But...I was told yesterday, that north of the border, you can't just show up at a motel and book a room - you have to reserve in advance. Can this be true ? Sure would compromise my way of traveling.

It works the same way as the US. Take your chances on there being a vacancy. If you aren't familiar with the ArriveCan app for crossing the border you better Google it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

We rode to Dawson City, YT in June and then Nakusp, BC in July. We had some reservations that were made days in advance and some made the same day as we stayed in the motel. On some occasions we showed up without a reservation and we always got s room.

A couple of weeks ago travelling north of Lake Superior, I decided on the Sunday evening to get a room in Thunder Bay rather than pitch my tent. Seems everything was booked but eventual got a room, complete with motorcycle parking and a nighttime security guard was found for a mere $193. Breakfast was not included. 😩

Leaving Winnipeg about ten days later, while at breakfast I made calls only to discover not one room was available that night in Thunder Bay. (It was a holiday weekend.) Decided that I would ride an hour or more past TB to Nipigon which has a number of mom & pop motel; no vacancies. Rode an hour plus and came across a provincial campground with a site for the night. :clap

Heading to Sault Ste Marie on the Saturday, phoned my wife early afternoon and asked her to find me a room through the Sault’s Tourism Office. She landed me the last one available in the Sault at a Comfort Inn for $225. 😱

From my recent experience, book motels/hotels in advance.

I did book a series of camping sites at Provincial Parks before leaving, but as luck would have, I had to leave one day later than planned. I booked sites while on the road but discovered that even some provincial parks were totally booked.

The good news for you, especially if you are using a credit card, you, being an American will actually be paying 25-30% less because of the huge difference in our currencies at this time. The reason I suggest doing almost everything with a credit card is because it has been my experience travelling with American buddies, merchants all too often do not give a fair discount when using American cash. 😕

Plan ahead and all should work out well. 🙂

Much thanks for the information, gentlemen - sure glad I asked. The guy that told me you have to book in advance said it was some COVID rule. No reply mentioned any such thing - just a matter of supply and demand; it is high tourist season. I guess I'll reserve and take some detours if I arrive too early. Do you know why Canadians prefer a certain canine position ? Never mind.....thanks again.

There was a period during the pandemic during which residents of Alaska and people traveling there for work were permitted to drive to Alaska from the lower 48. My friends who made the trip during that period were required to have reservations for every stop they planned to make. Perhaps your friend was thinking of those rules.

Reservations re: Canada travel from US

As RadioFlyer recommended above, you must use ArriveCAN (web or app for your phone) to make reservations to enter Canada from the US. This app will also require you to enter your vaccination status and planned stops in Canada.

I just transited Ontario from Buffalo, NY to Port Huron, MI a couple of weeks ago and the process worked very well.

Have a fun trip -

Larry

As RadioFlyer recommended above, you must use ArriveCAN (web or app for your phone) to make reservations to enter Canada from the US. This app will also require you to enter your vaccination status and planned stops in Canada.

I just transited Ontario from Buffalo, NY to Port Huron, MI a couple of weeks ago and the process worked very well.

Have a fun trip -

Larry

Yes, completing the app allows you to smoothly enter Canada. Do not arrive without it. Without it I believe you are either turned back to the US or possible sent into quarantine. Oh the fun of COVID. 😖

North on 21 your headed to Tobermory, ON that is in Bruce County. Grand Bend is their Daytona Beach and you used to be able to ride on the beach. Tobermory is one of my favorite stops, even if your going up and back. Tobermory and Bruce County work hard at drawing tourists. There used to be a motorcycle tour map made by Bruce County for doing waterfalls. Check respective web sites. There are several places to stay in Tobermorey that are competitive and the entire area is walkable. You would swear you are in an east coast fishing village. Stayed at the Peacock Villa last time. Have stayed at the Grandview. Both are a short walk to the harbor. Prefer the Villa. Make reservations in advance. Lots of restaurants and there used to be a place right down by the water that served a triple bypass breakfast early early. If you decide to take the ferry north (pretty cool) you need reservations for that (see web site). They provide ropes to tie bike down. If your going to SS Marie there is much more population on the Canadian side and much more lodging on the American side. Stayed at mom and pop Lock View Motel that is right next to the Lock View Restaurant on US side. If your going north along Lake Superior google motorcycle touring Lake Superior. There is a great web site that will send you a oversized map of the lake with great detail. Lots and lots of waterfalls. Grand Marais, MN may be the cutest community in five states. Lots of the business's have bathroom availability as I recall. Check out the bait shop. You can't miss it. You need a passport or enhanced drivers license for border. No weapons, no firewood:)

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Last edited:
North on 21 your headed to Tobermory, ON that is in Bruce County. Grand Bend is their Daytona Beach and you used to be able to ride on the beach. Tobermory is one of my favorite stops, even if your going up and back. Tobermory and Bruce County work hard at drawing tourists. There used to be a motorcycle tour map made by Bruce County for doing waterfalls. Check respective web sites. There are several places to stay in Tobermorey that are competitive and the entire area is walkable. You would swear you are in an east coast fishing village. Stayed at the Peacock Villa last time. Have stayed at the Grandview. Both are a short walk to the harbor. Prefer the Villa. Make reservations in advance. Lots of restaurants and there used to be a place right down by the water that served a triple bypass breakfast early early. If you decide to take the ferry north (pretty cool) you need reservations for that (see web site). They provide ropes to tie bike down. If your going to SS Marie there is much more population on the Canadian side and much more lodging on the American side. Stayed at mom and pop Lock View Motel that is right next to the Lock View Restaurant on US side. If your going north along Lake Superior google motorcycle touring Lake Superior. There is a great web site that will send you a oversized map of the lake with great detail. Lots and lots of waterfalls. Grand Marais, MN may be the cutest community in five states. Lots of the business's have bathroom availability as I recall. Check out the bait shop. You can't miss it. You need a passport or enhance drivers license for border. No weapons, no firewood:)

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

An excellent and very helpful post. :beer

Back