• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Best way to drain fuel from tank

jagarra

Gerard
I haven't ridden my R1100RS since the pandemic started and was concerned about the fuel in the tank. I was wondering if there was a clever way to drain the tank or is my only option pulling it and turning it upside down.

thanks,

I haven't ridden my R1100RS since the pandemic started and was concerned about the fuel in the tank. I was wondering if there was a clever way to drain the tank or is my only option pulling it and turning it upside down.

thanks,
you may also want to replace the fuel filter and clean out your fuel pump

Thanks for the ideas. Ordered a siphon unit from Amazon. Premium non ethanol is not available in Nevada. I have 120 octane racing fuel , but it is leaded, no joy there with the converter on the 1100.

Thanks for the ideas. Ordered a siphon unit from Amazon. Premium non ethanol is not available in Nevada. I have 120 octane racing fuel , but it is leaded, no joy there with the converter on the 1100.
Thankfully, I can buy premium NO ETHANOL unleaded at local gas stations. I also buy 100LL av-gas at my local airport for my dirt bikes and old R90's. Best of luck to you!

Siphon it out.

After a winter, it has often (but not always) been a practice of mine to siphon gas out of my tanks and replace with fresh ethanol free fuel.

Having said that, with my R1100RT, I have never succeeded in emptying the tank due the tank’s shape and the unwillingness of the siphon’s tube to always go where the fuel is located. For me, a half to two thirds drain always seems to happen but with fresh non-ethanol gas added, the bike runs fine.

With regard to the OP, just siphoning as much gas as possible and replenishing with fresh fuel, followed by a healthy ride should be sufficient to flush out the remaining stagnant gas.

I have never succeeded in emptying the tank due the tank’s shape and the unwillingness of the siphon’s tube to always go where the fuel is located.

I solved that problem on my 07RT by inserting a stiff piece of wire into the siphon hose to straighten it out completely and then I could aim it better and hit the bottom. The wire was less than 1/4 of the diameter of the siphon hose so fuel still flowed well.

You can use an ear syringe to start the siphon if you don't feel like letting any gas get into your mouth. Use a small diameter hose (like 1/8 inch ID) and be patient --- but don't forget about it!

Nearest drug store or ?

You can use an ear syringe to start the siphon if you don't feel like letting any gas get into your mouth. Use a small diameter hose (like 1/8 inch ID) and be patient --- but don't forget about it!

Nearest drug store or ?

What a great idea! And here I was just getting used to the taste of 91 octane. :D

Thanks for the link on the Lucas product, I believe I put some stabilizers in the tank some time ago, but I will check out that product next time I go to Summit. I have to pull the cover off and give it the smell test to see if it still smells like gas. Easiest solution is to fill it with fresh gas and go for a ride, just waiting for it to cool off a bit from hovering around a 95-100.

Back