• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F 750 GS Engine nature

Interesting. I've been looking at the F800GT's but everything I've ever read screams about the handlebar vibrations from that engine. I would say it's the number one complaint, bar none. (is that a pun?) The tester of the F800 in this Visor Down video would disagree (1 min in and again at 2:08) with you: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...FDB65E2223ADFF6A24A8FDB65E2223ADFF6&FORM=VIRE

We have two F800s. Total of 240,000 kms. Vibration isn't objectionable and in fact I can't remember even thinking about it.

The principle of counter balancing rod/piston assemblies goes all the way back to steam engines at the turn of the 20th century.

Yeah but i believe Ducati was still the first to use the double connecting rod counterbalance system on the Supermono, although they only made a very few of those engines. I think it works better on a 90 degree angle (for reasons too detailed to discuss here), but the Rotax 804 can run pretty smooth, especially if the fueling is right. I readily admit i do not understand why fueling is a factor, but at least it was on my bike.

https://www.cuoredesmo.com/the-history-of-the-supermono-engine/

Interesting. I've been looking at the F800GT's but everything I've ever read screams about the handlebar vibrations from that engine. I would say it's the number one complaint, bar none. (is that a pun?) The tester of the F800 in this Visor Down video would disagree (1 min in and again at 2:08) with you: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...FDB65E2223ADFF6A24A8FDB65E2223ADFF6&FORM=VIRE

I have never ridden an 800ST but did experience some high frequency, low amplitude “buzz” on the handlebars of a 700GS, but was able to eliminate most of it with some modification.

I wouldn't say my 750 has a thumper feel. but it does feel like it has a 360 crank, I believe it's a 270. IMO it is great performing and great sounding parallel twin.

The F800/700 bikes are 360 degree cranks. One piston on compression and one on exhaust both going up and down together. The F750/850 motors have a 270 degree offset crank. They typically run smoother and make more power because there is always one piston moving unlike 360 and 180 degree offset twins.

At 70+ MPH I've found the 750/850 configuration much less buzzy than the 700/800 models. Most reviews I've read supports that finding.

Back