Thread: 2005 r1200rt time for a new battery

2005 r1200rt time for a new battery

Need a new battery...is it best to just do the dealer thing or are there other places to get the 'right' battery replacement now days.
    thank you

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    The dealer thing will cost you more but be less work and may give you a reason to take a nice ride. All depends on your individual desires. After I bought my 07RT used it needed a battery while we were on the road on one of our first trips and I visited a dealer. The next two I chose to do myself with a cheaper version. They have given me the same performance as the OEM version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The terminals are a little smaller and the holes needed to be reamed just a fraction.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    The dealer thing will cost you more but be less work and may give you a reason to take a nice ride. All depends on your individual desires. After I bought my 07RT used it needed a battery while we were on the road on one of our first trips and I visited a dealer. The next two I chose to do myself with a cheaper version. They have given me the same performance as the OEM version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The terminals are a little smaller and the holes needed to be reamed just a fraction.
    I wonder what the CCA is.

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbay View Post
    I wonder what the CCA is.
    It seems I remember finding that in my early research and it was better than the OEM but I can’t find it now. I can tell you that my real world experience is that it sounded like my bike cranked stronger and quicker. I live in Florida like you so I don’t have any extended cold cranking experience with these though. I keep mine on an Optimate 4 in canbus mode and the first one lasted 3 years and 8 months. My OEM didn’t see 4 years either. Here in Florida 4 years is hard to come by. It can be done but it is expensive. I feel the value I get from these is good but there are certainly better batteries if you want to spend the money.

I've enjoyed my Motobatt batteries - https://www.motobatt.us/MB51814-Motobatt-12V-Battery

The extra terminals are nice for all my junk.... errr farkles! I won't ever buy another battery that isn't sealed.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    I've enjoyed my Motobatt batteries - https://www.motobatt.us/MB51814-Motobatt-12V-Battery

The extra terminals are nice for all my junk.... errr farkles! I won't ever buy another battery that isn't sealed.
    Hum, only a 1 year warranty and oddly no reviews on their site. Still may be worth consideration due to dual connection points.

[QUOTE=motor4;1285330]Hum, only a 1 year warranty and oddly no reviews on their site. Still may be worth consideration due to dual connection points.[/QUOTE

I'm interested in who has a longer warranty than one year? I see that Panasonic is one year. Yuasa is only 6 months, even on their "premium" batteries.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Surprisingly I have had good luck with the Walmart AGM batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by dalejohn123 View Post
    Surprisingly I have had good luck with the Walmart AGM batteries.
    If you haven't yet discovered project farm yet, you need to. This review is for car batteries, not motorcycle. I have a walmart battery in my truck now and its been great. When my bike battery goes out I'll give the walmart one a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7rTcBanpMk