Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 2005 r1200rt time for a new battery

  1. #1

    2005 r1200rt time for a new battery

    Need a new battery...is it best to just do the dealer thing or are there other places to get the 'right' battery replacement now days.
    thank you

  2. #2
    Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Lakeland,FL
    Posts
    2,260
    The dealer thing will cost you more but be less work and may give you a reason to take a nice ride. All depends on your individual desires. After I bought my 07RT used it needed a battery while we were on the road on one of our first trips and I visited a dealer. The next two I chose to do myself with a cheaper version. They have given me the same performance as the OEM version.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    The terminals are a little smaller and the holes needed to be reamed just a fraction.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    EAST BAY FL
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    The dealer thing will cost you more but be less work and may give you a reason to take a nice ride. All depends on your individual desires. After I bought my 07RT used it needed a battery while we were on the road on one of our first trips and I visited a dealer. The next two I chose to do myself with a cheaper version. They have given me the same performance as the OEM version.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    The terminals are a little smaller and the holes needed to be reamed just a fraction.
    I wonder what the CCA is.

  4. #4
    Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Lakeland,FL
    Posts
    2,260
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbay View Post
    I wonder what the CCA is.
    It seems I remember finding that in my early research and it was better than the OEM but I can’t find it now. I can tell you that my real world experience is that it sounded like my bike cranked stronger and quicker. I live in Florida like you so I don’t have any extended cold cranking experience with these though. I keep mine on an Optimate 4 in canbus mode and the first one lasted 3 years and 8 months. My OEM didn’t see 4 years either. Here in Florida 4 years is hard to come by. It can be done but it is expensive. I feel the value I get from these is good but there are certainly better batteries if you want to spend the money.

  5. #5
    Registered User drneo66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    1,180
    I've enjoyed my Motobatt batteries - https://www.motobatt.us/MB51814-Motobatt-12V-Battery

    The extra terminals are nice for all my junk.... errr farkles! I won't ever buy another battery that isn't sealed.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    I've enjoyed my Motobatt batteries - https://www.motobatt.us/MB51814-Motobatt-12V-Battery

    The extra terminals are nice for all my junk.... errr farkles! I won't ever buy another battery that isn't sealed.
    Hum, only a 1 year warranty and oddly no reviews on their site. Still may be worth consideration due to dual connection points.

  7. #7
    Registered User drneo66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    1,180
    [QUOTE=motor4;1285330]Hum, only a 1 year warranty and oddly no reviews on their site. Still may be worth consideration due to dual connection points.[/QUOTE


    I'm interested in who has a longer warranty than one year? I see that Panasonic is one year. Yuasa is only 6 months, even on their "premium" batteries.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

  8. #8
    Surprisingly I have had good luck with the Walmart AGM batteries.

  9. #9
    Registered User Moto316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by dalejohn123 View Post
    Surprisingly I have had good luck with the Walmart AGM batteries.
    If you haven't yet discovered project farm yet, you need to. This review is for car batteries, not motorcycle. I have a walmart battery in my truck now and its been great. When my bike battery goes out I'll give the walmart one a try.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7rTcBanpMk

Similar Threads

  1. 2011 R1200RT new battery time
    By srmRT in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-05-2022, 11:19 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-18-2014, 09:34 PM
  3. 2005 R1200RT-gel battery life?
    By pv_bmw in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-09-2012, 12:41 PM
  4. 2005 R1200RT Battery
    By bkwags in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 05:36 PM
  5. 2005 - R1200RT. This time I will not ask for input. :)
    By JochenWoern in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 03:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •