• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Schuberth C5 - Visor Hinge / Ratchet Adjustment?

seanka106

Has anyone else had an issue with the new Schuberth C5 helmet in which the visor will not stay open? On my C4 it was possible to keep the visor slightly open for ventilation at the first "detent" of the ratcheting mechanism in the hinges. On the C5, the visor just flops down when I get to 20 mph. Curious if anyone else has experienced this, and if so, were able to adjust or modify the hinges. Thanks in advance.

I'm following along on this subject as I have owned a c 3 and currently am using the c 4. I figure it won't be
too long until my next purchase. Just want to see if this is a problem with all the c 5s.

Shield drop has been an issue for many Schuberth models. See https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?73663-Schuberth-C3-Helmet-Shield. The solution is an O-ring (or two)at the pivot points to create more friction. It fixed my C3, which never stayed open. The C3 Pro did not need it when new, but I just added O-rings this year.

The diameter and thickness of the O-ring(s) are not critical, you just need to create some friction while fitting between the pivot and shield. They can be in the very center of the pivot or at the outer edge. Try a different size/placement if the first attempt is not satisfactory.

Chair felt FTW...

I used a box cutter to cut the felt off of a nail-in chair glide and placed it in over the pivot point - works great!! Just make sure the felt fits inside the connection ring on the face shield.
Ski

For some reason I cannot add the .jpg of the fix.....

Last edited:
It would seem to me that the need for customers to use O rings or cut up felt to modify a helmet so it works properly ought not be necessary on a very high dollar, supposedly premium, brand. :nono

Update / Resolution - to Schuberth C5 Problem

Update – believe I have the visor issue on the Schuberth C5 fixed for now. Thanks to the responses and the links on this site. I used some anti-skid pads from Ace Hardware (“Self Adhesive Anti-Skid Pads – 1 in / 25mm”) that are for furniture to add some friction to the hinge points. Basically, I just applied the anti-skid pads to the visor (see pics) where the visor attaches to the helmet and put the visor back on the helmet. That’s it. The visor now will stay open below 72 mph, and when it does shut due to wind, it is quiet / smooth. I do notice that the visor protrudes out a bit at the hinge points. Maybe this will make the helmet a bit less quiet (?). But for now, this fix works for me. I do want to state that the C5 ventilation is very good. Over 72mph, after the visor has snapped shut on its own, it is possible to feel the ventilation coming in thru the chin vent of the helmet.

Still, I have to say it is amazing that a helmet this expensive needs an ad-hoc modification, and is an example, IMHO, that Schuberth’s reputation for high quality / good design is more myth than reality. I also should note that I called / left messages and e-mailed Schuberth asking if there was any suggested resolution, and got no response (has been over 4 weeks). My guess is that either customer service is unimportant to Schuberth, or, they are overwhelmed by customers who have purchased the C5 and are asking for help.

Attachments

• IMG_5266.jpg
    IMG_5266.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 2,058
  • IMG_5273.jpg
    IMG_5273.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 2,099
  • IMG_5275.jpg
    IMG_5275.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 2,080
  • IMG_5270.jpg
    IMG_5270.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 2,053
  • IMG_5269.jpg
    IMG_5269.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 2,038
  • IMG_5276.jpg
    IMG_5276.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 2,050
  • IMG_5277 2.jpg
    IMG_5277 2.jpg
    641 KB · Views: 2,060
  • IMG_5272.jpg
    IMG_5272.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 2,049
What nobody has mentioned is that it says right in the Schuberth helmet manual (or did when I bought my first C3) that the face shield is designed to drop at a certain speed (I can't recall the number but it was like 20 or 30 mph) as a safety feature. So, although I do not argue against making the shield behave in the way you wish it did, I just wanted you all to know that it is designed to close. In other words, feature, not a bug.

What nobody has mentioned is that it says right in the Schuberth helmet manual (or did when I bought my first C3) that the face shield is designed to drop at a certain speed (I can't recall the number but it was like 20 or 30 mph) as a safety feature. So, although I do not argue against making the shield behave in the way you wish it did, I just wanted you all to know that it is designed to close. In other words, feature, not a bug.

One good reason to buy a different brand helmet: one that does what the rider wants it to do.

One good reason to buy a different brand helmet: one that does what the rider wants it to do.

It may be worth pointing out that if you're behind a windscreen, the shield tends to stay up until it gets into the full air flow.

I've owned many helmets by Bell, Shoei, Arai, and Simpson, over the years. All of them had things that I liked and things that I didn't like so much. Am now on my 2nd Schuberth - a C3 Pro. None of my past helmets were as quiet, comfortable, and pleasant to wear as the Schuberths I've now spent 10 years wearing. Obviously, head shape plays a massive role in comfort, but the miniscule and fixable shield pivot 'problem' is nowhere near enough of a bother for me to consider another brand. YMMV.

It would seem to me that the need for customers to use O rings or cut up felt to modify a helmet so it works properly ought not be necessary on a very high dollar, supposedly premium, brand. :nono

Schuberth told me that it was a requirement in Germany for the visor to drop at a fairly low speed. That said, I do the O ring thing and it works fine.

Back