• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcyclist killed by Tesla on autopilot

I’ve always been a fan of new technology but have had reservations about self-driving cars and trucks since the idea first entered public disclosure and discussion. This incident reinforces those reservations.

https://kutv.com/news/local/motorcyclist-dies-after-being-hit-by-tesla-reportedly-on-autopilot

https://www.ksl.com/article/5044547...5-collision-with-tesla-on-autopilot-uhp-says-

Best,
DeVern

Tesla seems to be pushing the limits of "self-driving" tech much more than any other car company. Their system is NOT really self-driving. Here's a quote from your linked article and the cause of many problems. Just ahead of these statements the drive is quoted that he didn't seen the motorcycle:

According to Tesla's support page, drivers must agree to keep their hands on the steering wheel at all times and "maintain control and responsibility for your car" before the autopilot feature is engaged.

"Autopilot is a hands-on driver assistance system that is intended to be used only with a fully attentive driver," the company stated. "It does not turn a Tesla into a self-driving car nor does it make a car autonomous."

As tragic as this is, I don't think we can blame the car if the driver says he didn't see the motorcyclist. Although that could be because he was admiring the scenery or reading a book while the driver assist was engaged.

I'm also not a big fan of this technology.

I think "expecting" a driver "agree" to do anything is a long shot.

SPP

Yup. Like agreeing to wear a seat belt, or not use their handheld phone while driving, or not texting while driving, or…

IMO, Tesla’s statement about driver responsibility and the system not being designed for use autonomously are pretty much legal weasel words to get them off the hook in cases like this.
Best,
DeVern

No system, rules, laws, etc. are perfect. One can usually if not always find an exception to the rule. To me, it's not whether or not someone has or will be injured (or dies), it's which system is better overall.

I think Tesla's biggest crime is calling the system Autopilot, which gives the driver the wrong impression of the system. From what little I've read; it seems more like a driver assist system than a system that self-drives the car.

Last edited:
No system, rules, laws, etc. are perfect. One can usually if not always find an exception to the rule. To me, it's not whether or not someone has or will be injured (or dies), it's which system is better overall.

I think Tesla's biggest crime is calling the system Autopilot, which gives the drive the wrong impression of the system. From what little I've read; it seems more like a driver assist system than a system that self-drives the car.

Very much agree with this.
When the system is called auto-pilot, Tesla is at fault.
When the system is called driver assist, the driver is at fault.

Tesla calling it auto-pilot is criminal.

I don't see enough facts to assign blame anywhere yet so I will withhold judgement until I do. I do agree autopilot is a misnomer however. I have many questions that still need to be answered but these two seem most important:

1. Why didn't the driver see the motorcycle?
2. Why didn't the car see the motorcycle?

Everyone who expects to become old should hope that self driving vehicles become a reality. This is especially true for anyone who lives in a rural area and wants to continue living in their home as long as possible. BTW, as someone who walks along busy roads for over 1,500 miles a year, I'm about ready for robots to take over. The number of jerks who think that "right turn on red" laws mean you can run the light at 30 MPH is appalling. That's not to mention the number of idiots who think that screwing with their cell phones in traffic is important. Bring on the robots.

I rented a car once with driver assist, including steering that was supposed to keep you in your proper lane. The road construction with it's diverted path and lane markings going into a ditch made me struggle with the wheel to keep it going where it needed to go. Car's artificial stupidity wanted to follow the lane markings.

there are plenty of motorcyclists killed by drivers. Including at least one I used to know by a sheriff deputy on duty.

Your odds are better with a Tesla, flaws included.

Rod

there are plenty of motorcyclists killed by drivers. Including at least one I used to know by a sheriff deputy on duty.

Your odds are better with a Tesla, flaws included.

Rod
Yes, I agree. This a Man Bites Dog story. Cars with sighted drivers kill motorcyclists every day 365/7. Cars with drivers in them bang into other cars and fixed objects all day and all night long. With more and more impaired and distracted drivers on the road the problem has gotten worse over time. As collision avoidance technology improves it will be safer for all concerned. Believe me I hate to see autopilots and such coming into widespread use but it can't be worse than the way it is headed now with sighted drivers not paying attention to the road around them. Recently I was at a pharmacy waiting on a prescription. The guy in front of me in line had his name called and as he was talking to the pharmacy clerk I over heard him say "Miss, could you show me where to sign?. I'm legally blind." He shuffled out towards the door with his Rx. A moment later I'm called and I get my Rx. As I am getting in my car I notice the same old fellow is in the driver's seat of a Lincoln Town Car next to me. He starts the engine, finds Drive and pulls away. I waited a few minutes to give that guy a head start as I wanted to be nowhere near him in traffic.

Everyone who expects to become old should hope that self driving vehicles become a reality. This is especially true for anyone who lives in a rural area and wants to continue living in their home as long as possible. BTW, as someone who walks along busy roads for over 1,500 miles a year, I'm about ready for robots to take over. The number of jerks who think that "right turn on red" laws mean you can run the light at 30 MPH is appalling. That's not to mention the number of idiots who think that screwing with their cell phones in traffic is important. Bring on the robots.

You make some good points. I'm not disagreeing with anything anyone else has said, but isn't it time to recognize some facts? It's sad that "the world's most powerful nation", as many like to refer to us, has no viable public transportation system except in extremely limited areas. Also, possibly related to that fact, is that our citizenry seems to think that they have a "right" to drive badly and without regard to the needs or safety of others. To continue to enjoy any form of two-wheeled travel, we need all the help we can get.

Yes there are far too many inattentive drivers out on the roads. The issue I have with autopilot technology is that it seems to encourage some drivers to not actively participate in the safe operation and control of the vehicle. Many more seem to rely on autopilot, lane assist, and other such active control systems to compensate for poor driving habits or skills.

Blame the registry of motor vehicles in every state, for handing out licenses to people who can't read nor write English, let alone understand the rules of the road regarding safe travels.

They've been handing out licenses to illegals in this country like candy for the revenue stream. They don't give a crap if your rates go higher because they've allowed/granted some dimwit a driving license.

Blame the states for not developing a division that simply rides around and catches people driving distracted. It's against the law to do so, but there aren't enough stopped and then removed from the road.

Back