• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2006 f650gs date of mfg 11/05

xstevexf650gs

2006 f650gs engine noise

Hello all!

I recently purchased a used 2006 F650GS (date of mfg 11/05) from the original owner with 9,800 miles. I've now noticed and engine noise/knock. It could have been there previously as my test ride was very short. This occurs at 2500 through 3500 rpm, under load, only. I can't seem to replicate the noise while on the center stand. It's difficult to tell where the noise originates. I've used a mechanics stethoscope to no avail. The engine seems to run flawlessly other than that noise. It has good power and accelerates well even through that rpm range.

The previous owner said he did regular oil changes as they were free to the original owner. The oil level is full and the oil appears clean. The bike seems to have had some regular maintenance as the chain and sprockets are newer. But he did say it's never had the valves adjusted because it didn't need it until 12k miles, which a Haynes manual confirms. I put in some octane booster to see if maybe I got some bad gas, but no change since adding. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

Could it be an echo from the air-box (intake) that you are hearing? Cruising along with everything sounding great, in a gear higher than you should be in, rolling the throttle on hard would test this possibility. You could almost play a trumpet like tune as the engine “eats” more air than it can use. It could also sound like a long fart. :fart

If it’s of a higher pitch, try as high an octane gas as you can find.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck.

Gary

Welcome to the forum!

Could it be an echo from the air-box (intake) that you are hearing? Cruising along with everything sounding great, in a gear higher than you should be in, rolling the throttle on hard would test this possibility. You could almost play a trumpet like tune as the engine “eats” more air than it can use. It could also sound like a long fart. :fart

Good luck.

Gary

While I briefly considered and air box/ filter issue, I haven't explored it. The noise is definitely in the low to low-mid frequency range. More of a fast knock-knock-knock and ONLY in the noted rpm range, any gear, any speed, while accelerating. And farts are always funny. :brad Maybe I'll remove the oil tank and air box plastics/covers and take it for another ride.

I agree with Paul. My wife has had F650s since ‘03. Our last F models were ‘07s. We each currently ride 2016 G models. To the uninitiated, the Rotax 650 often sounds like it’s eating its young. We’ve been all over the country on those things. They are GREAT motorcycles!

I agree with Paul. My wife has had F650s since ‘03. Our last F models were ‘07s. We each currently ride 2016 G models. To the uninitiated, the Rotax 650 often sounds like it’s eating its young. We’ve been all over the country on those things. They are GREAT motorcycles!

I laughed out loud at "eating its young".:laugh.

So far, I've got "farts" and "eating its young". :scratch

While I've ridden motorcycles most of my life, my only experience with a 650 thumper was a klr. With the Rotax, I am, agreeably, uninitiated. This could be a completely normal sound. It would be nice if someone local (Colorado Springs, CO) could listen/ride and/or I could ride their's.

I did pull the plastics off yesterday. I didn't realize the air box is right there. I took it for a short ride as it was starting to rain. I didn't notice anything different in the sound to discern it's origination. I'm going to try to get a sound recording or video. Can I upload those to this thread?

I'd ask your local club if anyone has experience or look in the anonymous book too!

You can upload the video to Youtube or Vimeo and share

Air box noise confirmed

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck.

Gary

Gary/Omega Man,

Excellent diagnosis! :clap The air box "echo" is what I'm hearing. I removed all the plastics from the around the air box and sure enough, a cruise with the stethoscope confirmed the origination of this most unusual (to me) sound. It appears that the throttle body/air intake points straight up and the air reverberates throughout the air box under load in this rpm range. Who new? Gary did! What made you think this was the noise I was hearing?

Anyway, good call and I thank everyone for their input.

Gary/Omega Man,

Excellent diagnosis! :clap The air box "echo" is what I'm hearing. I removed all the plastics from the around the air box and sure enough, a cruise with the stethoscope confirmed the origination of this most unusual (to me) sound. It appears that the throttle body/air intake points straight up and the air reverberates throughout the air box under load in this rpm range. Who new? Gary did! What made you think this was the noise I was hearing?

Anyway, good call and I thank everyone for their input.

Glad it worked out for you :thumb

Back in the day :gerg we could always hear basically what you were describing when we “kicked in the quad” or- 4bbl carburetor.
Through the years it seems air intake noises would sometimes over shadow exhaust noise, something luxury car owners complained about.
Also, a poorly running vehicle that bogged down or wouldn’t accelerate when the throttle increased really exaggerated the noise.
Happy riding!
OM

Back