• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Final Drive Fluid Spec Question

gsinnc

OK ... this may be a dumb question and before someone suggests RFM ... I already checked the manuals for both my 2016 RT and 2018 GS and neither has the recommended final drive oil spec. I have been using BMW C-SAF-XO 75w-90 API GL5 but a buddy with a new 1250 RS says his manual recommends GL3 ??

He was asking me what he should use and now I am confused and wondering if I am used the correct final drive oil.

Thanks in advance !

Wow, that would be astounding if that were correct! Going back several generations in oil specs? Do you suppose a quick read of the manual might show GL3 when it really said GL5? A 5 and 3 can look similar at a glance. :dunno

Hi Ed,

You might have your buddy check again to make sure it said G3, without the letter L. It is just a BMW marketing gimmick. Most dealers do not even carry that FD oil. Ask.

Any brand name oil 75 / 90 GL5 will suffice.

Cheers,

Hi Ed,

You might have your buddy check again to make sure it said G3, without the letter L. It is just a BMW marketing gimmick. Most dealers do not even carry that FD oil. Ask.

Any brand name oil 75 / 90 GL5 will suffice.

Cheers,

I think you’re right I think it is G3 and not GL3. I just stopped in to my local BMW dealer and asked them what is the correct final drive and they pulled out a bottle of the G3 and said this is what they’re recommending on all of the liquid cooled bikes the 1200s and 1250s.

Of course the MSRP on a 500 mL bottle of the G3 is $50

I should have posted 70W / 80 for the oil viscosity, which is what is in my manual.

Afterall, oil prices are high these days and it has the BMW roundel on it. :bolt

I should have posted 70W / 80 for the oil viscosity, which is what is in my manual.

Afterall, oil prices are high these days and it has the BMW roundel on it. :bolt

Yeah and the manual has a different weight spec now and the G3 bottle has NO weight indicated on it.

IMG_7466.jpg

IMG_7467.jpg

IMG_7468.jpg

This what my dealer uses. He doesn't carry that BMW G3 oil

BTW Castrol SAF-XO is the same thing as:2003-2009 Land Rover Range Rover Differential Oil - Rear Differential - Castrol LRN7591 - Syntrax Long Life; Equivalent to: Castrol SAF-XO

Available at Land Rover dealers for a fraction of the price

Land-Rover-LRN7591.jpgGear Oil BMW.jpg

?
Walmart 80-90 GL5 gear oil sells for about 5 bucks a quart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Gear-Lubricant-SAE-80W-90-1-Quart-Bottle/16913697

That BMW gear oil must be really good stuff ...

And Mobil 1 is a great value. All this stuff over FD oil. Why would you want to pay anyone's price when Mobil 1 is about as good as it gets?

That BMW oil which is probably a Castrol product labeled as BMW. IMHO I will take a Mobile 1 oil product over any Castrol oil any day of the week.

And Mobil 1 is a great value. All this stuff over FD oil. Why would you want to pay anyone's price when Mobil 1 is about as good as it gets?

That BMW oil which is probably a Castrol product labeled as BMW. IMHO I will take a Mobile 1 oil product over any Castrol oil any day of the week.

As long as my bikes are under warranty I am using exactly what BMW Mothership says to use. Besides the final drive change is relatively infrequent and only calls for 180 ML. But that is just me

As long as my bikes are under warranty I am using exactly what BMW Mothership says to use. Besides the final drive change is relatively infrequent and only calls for 180 ML. But that is just me

It is a spec, not the Word According to BMW.

I change my FD with every oil change have on every BMW I own. 6 OZ is a small amount to worry over cost. Well unless your buying BMW FD oil.

I use Liqui Moly FD fluid in my GS from new. But I have used Mobil 1 in my LT and RT with no issues.

Warranty or not, if the specs are right you have no issues at all on what BRAND you use, only that the spec is right.

It is a spec, not the Word According to BMW.

I change my FD with every oil change have on every BMW I own. 6 OZ is a small amount to worry over cost. Well unless your buying BMW FD oil.

I use Liqui Moly FD fluid in my GS from new. But I have used Mobil 1 in my LT and RT with no issues.

Warranty or not, if the specs are right you have no issues at all on what BRAND you use, only that the spec is right.

Yes ... that is what I was suggesting. Some of what has been suggested is not "exactly" what the mothership suggests. And as you note even if you but they BMW stuff it's not all that much to spend on your $20,000+ motorcycle. Especially if you do it yourself. But I see guys saving a few bucks on oil filters and oil. But to each his/her own. If you want to use a Wal-Mart filter or Oil I say go for it.

Back