• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Torx sizes to carry on my 2011 RT

brownie0486

Fortunately I had a T25 along for the 3 week tour, but then I realized I don't have any other torx bits in my tool bag.

What sizes torx are needed on the above motorcycle? Do people buy a kit of them, and if so, recommendations would be great.

Buy a kit, figure out (other than T30 and T25) what’s needed to be carried, eg. rear wheel removal, etc. You may also need a female torx for something like adjusting a shifter on some bikes. When you get down to it, you may end up just carrying the complete kit.

Going over the bike to see what torx heads are needed may even show you where BMW uses the occasional Allen head bolt. They do this to make sure we’re awake.

I splurged and bought the bmw service kit to replace the one my op held back from my purchase and gave to his son for his gs. Way overpriced for what it is but it’s pretty useful for how small it is.

Here's the sizes that I carry: T20, 25, 27, 30, 40, 45, 50 (the 50 should be pretty stout to get the rear wheel off)

You'll need an adapter to get the front front wheel off.

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Cruz-Tools-Roadtech-B1-On-Bike-Toolkit-for-BMW-RTB1

A walk around your specific bike may be helpful (accessories generally seems to use hex instead of torx). You may want to look through the Hexhead/Camhead library and note all the tools that you could use for a roadside repair at your comfort level:
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/forumdisplay.php?44-Hexheads-Camheads-DIY-Tech-Library

One thing I do is initially begin any maintenance or repair using the kit I carry and sometimes I find a new item to add.

Back