• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Anyone Ridden INTO MX Lately?

Anyone crossed the southern border by moto lately?
What can you report about the southern experience?
What can you tell me about how you prepared to make the crossing? Insurance (both health and vehicle)? Papers? Passports? Cash? Cards? Cell phone?
This is intended to be a convo starter, as I/we are considering an adventure ride into MX and want to know what others have recently experienced.

Anyone crossed the southern border by moto lately?
What can you report about the southern experience?
What can you tell me about how you prepared to make the crossing? Insurance (both health and vehicle)? Papers? Passports? Cash? Cards? Cell phone?
This is intended to be a convo starter, as I/we are considering an adventure ride into MX and want to know what others have recently experienced.

With all the recent and ongoing cartel wars, Mexico is a good place to die.

Well, that certainly was a buzzkill! It’s been crazy along border for years, nothing new.
Have friends who make the trip regularly, often stories later of a few sketchy encounters with a lot of fun in between.

That said ADVrider has lots of info,tips, warnings and suggestions. Dislike steering away from our forum, however there are lots of border crossers over there.

I know people who go regularly and haven’t even been wounded yet.
I only suggest that one be informed of the very real and presently escalating cartel wars. The carnage is frightening. I am a short distance away from Juarez, Mexico. The news I am hearing is current. "My buddies rode down to Mexico last year and had a blast" is outdated. You could not pay me to cross the border now.

Last edited:
Not lately, but some advice

Manejar a Mexico translates loosely into “Riding in Mexico”… the story of my ride to the Mexican national rally in 2003.*

Some of the information is old, some is timeless.

After crossing into Mexico you’re well-advised to avoid the border towns.

Get insurance before you go. Do NOT ride there at night. Be prepared for car and truck drivers to get way too close for you… they only give you the room you need.

Read the story, plenty of more tips.

Ian

*This article is 20 years old and the text has gotten weird… lots of special characters, etc. Sorry!

*This article is 20 years old and the text has gotten weird… lots of special characters, etc

As the forum has been upgraded, some of the characters/punctuation seems to have transformed into Scientific Notation that has yet to be discovered. Readability is still pretty good.
OM

I was in El Paso 2 weeks ago. I was advised by several locals to stay out of MX. Because of all the problems that ae going on there.

This Thread on ADV Rider provides current info by knowledgable people - many questions are answered.

I went with five friends last Spring - you can read about our trip here Seis Viejos Pedos en Motos Grande (Six Old Farts on Big Bikes) Ride to the Copper Canyon

Get your insurance in advance - shop the internet - get the deluxe pkg which usually includes medical and getting you home if you have a problem.

Get your Mexico insurance arranged over the internet or at a US-side insurance seller well before you cross the border . Take your time to find the insurance at the best price , shop around when you are calm and relaxed (HINT ; liability vehicle DL insurance can be a lot less expensive than person dedicated trip insurance if you are in Mexico for weeks or months ). Buying insurance on the spot while crossing the border can lead to hasty decisions . The border customs transactions are best done in person while paying extreme attention to getting the names and numbers correct on the printed documents they issue . On-line is possible but a pain in the ass and time wasted because you have to stop at the border no matter what .
good advice.

If you aren't looking for drugs, aren't intoxicated and alone, aren't looking for women (pay for play) you aren't likely to find trouble. If your "Spidey Sense" is going off - pay attention. Common sense and a partner will usually keep you out of trouble.

The "Seis Viejos" are planning a return adventure in 2023. YMMV

https://www.kpbs.org/news/border-im...ence-part-of-a-pattern-that-goes-back-decades

I consider myself a MX mainland and Baja Vet with many dozens of trips down there surfing, in the 70's 80's- 90's until 2006 when for the second trip in a row I was stopped and robbed at gunpoint in the Cantavina desert Baja.

Scary as hell, that having a pistol in your face and a gang behind it.

The cops are hopeless, if not basic core root of the problem.

Everyone from the street sweeper to the President is on the take.

La Mordida " The Bite" is rampant, the "Fee" Cops want to let you go on some BS traffic infraction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ld_5E7JMrE

Not fluent in Spanish? Good Luck.

People go down there and have a good time, good for them, I'm done.

I won't even fly to Cancun/ Tulum / Isla Mujeras anymore.

It's out of control and the rival cartels are armed to the teeth, flush with money, crazy.
YMMV
Nick

Last edited:
Scary as hell, that having a pistol in your face and a gang behind it...

The cops are hopeless, if not basic core root of the problem...

Everyone from the street sweeper to the President is on the take...

I won't even fly to Cancun/ Tulum / Isla Mujeras anymore...

It's out of control and the rival cartels are armed to the teeth, flush with money, crazy...

Still, they won't listen! "Oh, it's not that bad. My buddy's friends had a great time." You have a death wish if you cross the border these days.

Back