• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2005 k1200s - fuel reading problems

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
On a trip into NorCal right now. Filled up the tank at a gas stop. 50km later I look down and my fuel gauge is showing totally empty, the yellow warning triangle is lit up and the gas pump symbol is flashing. "Miles to empty" also shows "0". All else is functioning normally.

So my questions are...

1. Is this just an indication that my fuel strip is toast?

2. MAX BMW is showing the fuel strip is NA. Seriously? Not available?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Home from my trip now and I have to give a tip 'o the hat to Mike for his fully comprehensive treatise on fuel strips repair/replacement.

:thumb

Last chapter....

While I was away, I went into a dealer to see what parts I would need and what it would cost. I will not mention the dealer's name.

1. I was told the strip was no longer available and that I would need to upgrade to...

2. ...a float-type sensor as used in the later bikes.

3. That later sensor requires a small bracket to attach it inside the tank - $82.00

4. BMW North America has no stock and Germany doesn't expect stock until early September.

When I got home I went into my dealer who had the original-style strip sensor in stock as it's a frequent failure item (as we all know).

Did you have to pay for it since you are outside the 12 year window? Hope it lasts since now you probably only get a two year warranty on it.

Back