Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardan to be checked and vent valve retrofitted on a total of 440,000 motorcycles

Quote Originally Posted by darrell View Post
    My new 2022 R1250RT built on 1/28/22 has the swing arm drilled. I confirmed with a 2022 R1250RS owner who’s bike was built the same week his swing arm is drilled. The plug used is not a one way valve but a rubber plug that protrudes out the bottom of swing arm about ľ” and is pinched off such as you would find on a flat blade screw driver.

It appears to me a person needs to remove this plug to determine if there is water or oil inside the swing arm. I’ll have my drive shaft checked at the 12,000 mile service happening in about a month or a bit more and determine then what this plug looks like on the inside of he swing arm.
    I too have a new 2022 R1250RT built on 2/2/22, it too has the service update. I had a total hip replacement July 14th, sorry not able to get a better picture and see with my own eyes but that will have to wait. Drive shaft water lease.jpg I see the plug Darrel mention but I don't know what the other rubber is?

Cum opus clava fecit nihi
    FWIW the plug that gets added is called a duck bill valve. It is supposed to be unidirectional and self-closing. Either the weight of water bearing on top of it or a higher air pressure in the swing arm is going to have to open it.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    +1

Since you are well versed what bikes did call it out. I had thought it was called out for service, as I read old articles where it was pointed out very specifically for a older series of BMW.
    Early Airheads once every year.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
    FWIW the plug that gets added is called a duck bill valve. It is supposed to be unidirectional and self-closing. Either the weight of water bearing on top of it or a higher air pressure in the swing arm is going to have to open it.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    Learn something everyday. This plug does open by squeezing on the sides. Interesting I can grab the end of the plug and push it up in to the hole with no resistance pushing up or pulling the plug back down. Just appears to fill the hole loosely.
    Darrell
    2002 R1150GSA
    2016 R1200RS
    2022 R1250RT

Well, this thread got me all concerned about the condition of my final drive on my 2016 RT.

Since I have had occasion to ride a number of times through blinding rainstorms where visibility reduced to the danger point it got me thinking of what my splines might look like.

I had serviced the splines during a 12000 mile service but I am up to 41000 miles now. The splines were dry and slightly rusty at 12000 miles and now they looked great with the spline lube I used previously.

I am about to reassemble the drive but I do not have the recommended NBU 30 PTM lubricant/sealer as recommended in Boxfliers video. Is there something else which I can use or should I just bite the bullet and order the right stuff?

I can get it in just a few days and it is too bloody hot for riding right now so?? What say you?

Bob

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Chances are you can find this locally

At a local auto supply or perhaps Tractor Supply.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

O M,

Are you suggesting this for the splines or to seal the accordion boot? Or both?

Bob

What I use isÖ

Spline lube: https://www.beemershop.com/product/t...line-lube.html
    (Since my old tube of Honda Moly 60 is about gone)

Boot grease/sealant: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...k-4/12024852-P

Staburags is good for the bootóitís quite sticky and contains barium as a water repellent. But, itís $$ and sometimes hard to get so I use the Sil-glide as itís easy to source at home or on the road.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST ó 1984 R80 G/S-PD ó 2010 K1300GT ó 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by topophilia View Post
    O M,

Are you suggesting this for the splines or to seal the accordion boot? Or both?

Bob
    For the splines.
    I havenít examined those boot assemblies. But when I work on similar rubber, flex items I like to get them clean and use a rubber conditioner to maintain pliability.
    I even applied a conditioner to the rubber seal for low beam cover today after replacing the low beam on the F800GS today. I find keeping the rubber boots pliable a key to longevity.

This excellent tutorial from Jim may help all interested in this thread-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...ht=Final+drive

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

O M,

I completely agree with rubber conditioners. I soaked the boot in Aerospace 303 after I took it off. Have used it for years. I think they advertise it as "sunscreen for your stuff"

Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by topophilia View Post
    O M,

I completely agree with rubber conditioners. I soaked the boot in Aerospace 303 after I took it off. Have used it for years. I think they advertise it as "sunscreen for your stuff"

Thanks for the link.
    The 303 is great stuff. I believe it makes a difference.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

So, if you really trust your shop this service update isn't going to hurt and it should help alleviate premature corrosion.
    But if you don't trust your shop, they could send metal particles into the system and they could also completely ignore actual problems that might be happening...

Looks like I need to pull everything apart, inspect and lube... And if I'm ever near a Motorrad shop I trust on one of my adventures, hopefully I can plan ahead and have them do the work... But my nearest shop is not one I trust...
    2016 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by droveto View Post
    So, if you really trust your shop this service update isn't going to hurt and it should help alleviate premature corrosion.
    But if you don't trust your shop, they could send metal particles into the system and they could also completely ignore actual problems that might be happening..
    My thought is to have it done when I bring the bike in for next service and to also have them lube and check the splines. That way they can drill the hole with things apart and they should be able to clean out any debris from the drilling. In the end, I'll get the peace of mind that the drain is installed, any possible shavings from the drilling removed, the driveshaft and splines checked and lubed.
    Jeff
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    2018 R1200 GS
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwjeff View Post
    My thought is to have it done when I bring the bike in for next service and to also have them lube and check the splines. That way they can drill the hole with things apart and they should be able to clean out any debris from the drilling. In the end, I'll get the peace of mind that the drain is installed, any possible shavings from the drilling removed, the driveshaft and splines checked and lubed.
    Good plan, and the way it really should be done on all bikes.
    I think I'll tackle the job myself as I don't trust any shops within a couple hours.
    2016 R1200GS

I found ADVPulse's article about this to be the most well written and thorough investigation - https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/bm...-r1200-1250gs/
    Social Media, Newsletter, YouTube | BMWMOA Lifetime Member | MOA Board Secretary | MOA Regional Coordinator | Vermont BMW Club Vice President