• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 GSA fuel indicator

talmadge_w

Bike is 2012 1200 GSA w ~67k. My understanding is this machine uses a float fuel level measurement rather than a strip but I haven’t confirmed. From fill up to ~120 miles range remaining everything is normal. At that point both the remaining range and fuel level bar graph begin counting BACKWARD to an indicated range ~220 miles where it just fluctuates ~ +/-2 until the tank is refilled. This behavior has repeated for the last 4 fill ups. I continue using the trip odometer to decide when to fill up but given a wide range of riding conditions this is forcing me to be very conservative. Anyone else experienced this??.

Doesn't answer your question, but the parts fiche shows that you have the fuel strip, a known failure point.

16_0704.png

Fuel strips are thru 8-10 only. Float style after that. I would pull the pump and float and check the resistor values
As it moves thru it’s range.

MAX's fiche shows the strip is used from August 2009 to October 2013, with some conflicting info regarding actual production dates; A&S's fiche shows a float-type.
Grrr.... well, it's gotta come out either way.

I've found that sometimes the build dates on the fiche are a little too inclusive. Maybe because sometimes a part will be used on an uncommon variation for a time after most of the model has changed (the RT-P is often the last to change), or maybe because a model built at one plant is changed at a different time than at another plant.

Searching for applications by the fuel strip part number on realoem.com, build dates up into 2013 are shown.
Searching for fuel sensor parts by U.S. GSA build dates, July 2010 is the last date using the strip. All builds beginning August 2010 (2011 models) list only the float.
I think you will find a float on your 2012, but yes, it has to come out to verify.

The symptoms you are seeing are also atypical for a fuel strip. I would not be surprised if you find something preventing normal movement of the float. A bent rod or loose mount, maybe.

This video covers the fuel pump and filter removal and disassembly, but also has some good shots showing what the float assembly should look like starting at 18:20.

Last edited:
Excellent video reference Larry! 4 years ago I installed the Guglatech “bag type” filter he shows in the video. I just went in yesterday and moved it around in the tank - will see if that changes anything. Currently almost 110 in the garage so I’m procrastinating pulling the fuel pump if I can avoid it! ;)

Back