• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2001 R1100RL been sitting too long

alke46

So here's my problem, I just recently picked up this bike from a friend who no longer rides. It's been sitting for 6 years and now that I have it, I have drained and refilled the oil and changed the filter.

Removed all the 6 year old gas that was left in the tank and now I have 2.5 gallons of fresh, premium, non ethanol fuel in it.

I tried to start it but it just wouldn't catch. It tried to start a few times but didn't. Choke or no choke?

Is there any secret to starting this bike? I ask this because this is my first time to own a BMW. I see it has throttle bodies instead of carburetors and does it also use injectors? Is there anything that needs to be done to the injectors?

Just looking for something that I might be overlooking.

Also including a first photo since joining the forum. Thanks in advance for any and all helpful suggestions.

Larry

IMG_20220716_161601750 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

Yes, it is a fuel injection system. It’s labeled Choke, but really all it is is a fast idle lever. It’s the same as just holding the throttle open slightly. There is a good chance that the injectors may be clogged with old fuel. There are a couple of small screws that hold the injectors on the throttle body. Remove the screws and pull the injectors out and point them into a jar or plastic container. Crank the starter to see if you get a nice spray pattern from each. If they’re clogged, there’s DIY videos for injector cleaning, or send them out to an injector cleaning service.

Yes, it is a fuel injection system. It’s labeled Choke, but really all it is is a fast idle lever. It’s the same as just holding the throttle open slightly. There is a good chance that the injectors may be clogged with old fuel. There are a couple of small screws that hold the injectors on the throttle body. Remove the screws and pull the injectors out and point them into a jar or plastic container. Crank the starter to see if you get a nice spray pattern from each. If they’re clogged, there’s DIY videos for injector cleaning, or send them out to an injector cleaning service.

Thanks, it makes sense that nasty old gas has them clogged. I will check this out on Sunday and report back with whatever works to get this thing running again.

Might also want to replace the fuel filter while at it. Yes definitely clean fuel system and yes use choke even in warmer weather when starting up. I also just recently pulled out a lawn tractor that sat 7-8 years, gunk was everywhere in the fuel system. How many miles on this bike? Looks like a nice find, congratulations!

Definitely change the fuel filter and all associated rubber hoses in the tank. You'll save yourself a mess of problems later. Also, can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on? You should hear a high pitched hum which then stops after less than 2 seconds.

Lastly, is this picture of the bike you just picked up? If yes, it's not a MY 2001 as the twin spark motors didn't come out until 2003, I believe.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here are more than happy to help you get this bike running again.

:thumb

Might also want to replace the fuel filter while at it. Yes definitely clean fuel system and yes use choke even in warmer weather when starting up. I also just recently pulled out a lawn tractor that sat 7-8 years, gunk was everywhere in the fuel system. How many miles on this bike? Looks like a nice find, congratulations!

40,295 miles on the bike. Thanks.

Definitely change the fuel filter and all associated rubber hoses in the tank. You'll save yourself a mess of problems later. Also, can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on? You should hear a high pitched hum which then stops after less than 2 seconds.

Lastly, is this picture of the bike you just picked up? If yes, it's not a MY 2001 as the twin spark motors didn't come out until 2003, I believe.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here are more than happy to help you get this bike running again.

:thumb

I can not hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key on. I thought I should have been able to as I hear it on my Triumph.

Yes, the pic is the one I just picked up and it is titled as a 2001 model. Manufactured 10/2000.

Twin spark motor? Just one plug per cylinder. Don't know if that's what you meant.

40,295 miles on the bike. Thanks.

I can not hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key on. I thought I should have been able to as I hear it on my Triumph.

Yes, the pic is the one I just picked up and it is titled as a 2001 model. Manufactured 10/2000.

Twin spark motor? Just one plug per cylinder. Don't know if that's what you meant.

You should hear the fuel pump for a second or two when you turn the key on. "Kill switch" has to be in the RUN position, and the side stand has to be UP, or the safety switches won't let the pump run. But, if either of those were the problem, the starter wouldn't turn over. There's a relay for the fuel pump and also a fuse. It's also possible that the fuel pump is seized with old gas too. R1100R should only be a single spark plug in each cylinder. If you are really new to BMW Oilhead bikes, you might need to get someone familiar with them to look over your shoulder.

At least I have learned something today. Turning the key on does not produce any sound from the pump -- will need to remove the good gas I just put in the tank yesterday and start over chasing this demon.
Also learned today, by removing the injectors and turning the engine over I got absolutely nothing coming out the injector.

So now at least I have a plan. That plan is to remove the pump and fuel filter from the tank and will replace the fuel filter.

How about the fuel pump? is it repairable or is it a replacement item? At least I am no longer a stranger to how to remove everything that I have removed before. I think they call this OJT (on the job training). Anyway, wrenching is like therapy.

Thanks

Yes, repairs are very therapeutic. I won’t get into it all, but diagnosing and repairing the bike is very satisfying, when there are other parts of your life that you have no control over and no ability to change.

Please update this thread as you determine what you find and what gets fixed.

While you're at it, you may want to check the wiring on the HES (Hall Effect Sensor). That year, and others, have a bad history. Crumbling insulation can cause arcing/shorting and no end of other issues.

While you're at it, you may want to check the wiring on the HES (Hall Effect Sensor). That year, and others, have a bad history. Crumbling insulation can cause arcing/shorting and no end of other issues.

Sure, sounds easy enough, all I have to do is find it ��,......

Edit:. I found it on a YouTube video and it would appear to be a humongous PITA.
Anyone else feel this way or is it just overwhelming to me?

Last edited:
HES replacement is not too bad, just work through it step by step. If you rewire or have someone rewire the existing one then you don't need the adjustment box, just mark where it was and put it back in the same place. GSAddict and maybe some others here can rewire it for you or sell you a known good one. You may as well replace the alternator belt at the same time since you'll be right there.

Personally I think changing the HES is easier than taking the fuel pump out and putting it back. I can also recommend GSAddict to rewire it as he did mine. If you contact him he’ll provide you with step by step instructions on how to remove it. He does a great job and way cheaper than buying a new one.

A 2001 after sitting 6 years?
My money is on the fuel pump.

$50 on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2749092426...314102&hash=item4001de2526:g:zVoAAOSw0P9h4o-~

Just be careful with the rubber isolation biscuits holding the pump to the frame, if your bike has them. They break easily and are somewhat hard to find and expensive to replace.

Good luck with the repair.

That's the one I bought. Found it on Amazon. Replacing all the rubber while it's out, now just need to put it back into the tank. Hopefully tomorrow. And hope I get it installed right the first time. I hate having to do the job twice.

Back